The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

15 hours ago, AsianExport said:

Someone who does not like italian pizza does not like pizza.

If he also does not know that indian food price is fair, he really knows nothing actually.

Chicago style pizza.  New York style pizza.  Italian style pizza.  Weird Asian marketing guy pizza.  It's all pizza and available in Pattaya.  Thai people put ketchup on pizza - awful but it's still pizza and the way they like it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

I don't think its baiting, but rather a reaction to your many "maybe" "probably" type comments recently.

I was angry about his/her recommendation of the "panzone". It was just awful, no one even the dogs outside could actually like it. It had no taste, the "meatball" was nothing but processed meat sort of like spam but brown. Disgusting all of it. Stick with the pizza and wings at New York Pizza mates. OO and God Bless You. 

Reza Iranian Restaurant

Standard Iranian with a little extra something special.  Standard moderate prices for the local Iranian food market. 

Near the beginning of the soi to the left of Marine Plaza Hotel, 2nd road, "Indian/Middle Eastern district",  South Pattaya.

http://www.soidb.com/pattaya/hotel/marine-plaza-hotel.html

Looks like Soi 16 on the map. 

The a la carte Iranian restaurants in Pattaya all have similar menus.

The Iranian standards, kebabs, stews, special Persian rices, etc.

There are no world class gourmet level Iranian restaurants here so don't expect that.

Well, this welcome new addition to the Pattehran food scene (just made that up) also ain't world class, but seems to do it just a little better. 

This NEW restaurant replaces a previous shockingly bad concept (all you can eat Kentucky Fried chicken) and before that another Iranian restaurant that had tried an Iranian buffet concept as well.

This NEW place seems to have their act more together than those doomed efforts.

The signage in front is fancy but the menu board shows no English.

I walked in and there was a menu at the table, but no English, no problem normally because there were pictures, but there were no prices either!

So I asked for an English menu, and somewhat surprisingly, they had one.

Like I said the typical expected standards.

Also on offer were two Arabic dips (eggplant MUTABAL  or chickpea HAMAS, both were 70  baht). 

Yes the hummus was labeled as HAMAS on the menu. :post-4641-1156694005:Hmm.

Anyway ... 

I did order the eggplant dip but they were out. 

There is flatbread (25 baht) as well which looked good on another table, you can call it Iran-nan, they certainly don't.

The picture of the special vegetable rice with broad beans looked exceptionally good, so I had to check that out.

Indeed it was the best version of that rice dish I've had in Pattaya.

I had it with a large chicken leg cooked in a way I can't determine. It has a decent crisp on it, but it was too dry and under seasoned. 

The dish was 220. 

As with all Iranian places there is a plate of leaves, raw onions, chilis, limes, etc. offered.

The "something extra" with this place was a small bowl of BROTH which was appreciated to moisten the rice and the dry chicken.  Also, not typical here at Iranian places, there was a plate of assorted pickled stuff in addition to the typical Iranian raw leaves stuff. 

I like to sprinkle my Iranian food with the red stuff in bottles on tables, which isn't chili, it's SUMAC. Sumac is very subtle so I need a lot of it to taste it at all.

Even though I didn't love the chicken (didn't hate it either) I really did like their broad bean rice, so my overall experience of this place was quite positive. 

I consider it a very welcome addition to the local Iranian food scene.

I find Iranian food is good for those times when a lighter, more subtly spiced meal is desired ... but still with RICE. 

Other dishes of course are offered with the standard Persian white rice or rice with barberries.

One dish that I wish they had there that I like other places is the LENTIL soup. They didn't have it. They did have barley soup though. 

The classic stew dishes under 200 baht including rice and leaves.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

although there is good food to be had in Thailand I often have a giggle at what people regard as good value....................................we are in Thailand

we must always remember that we are in a 3rd world country, that lovely pork or chicken dish you order has originated from a local market and I rekon most places selling beef is also local stuff....cheep and impossible to tell the difference once you get all those sauces on there, not to mention the rice, you can dress it up all you want but the end of the day these places are buying cheap ...... all of them

don't confuse good value for money from your home country - that is not where you are - you are in Thailand....and 120baht for a chicken fried rice is 3x what it should be - just a simple example, remember the places you are eating are buying at local prices..........

• Like 2

4 hours ago, smedly said:

remember the places you are eating are buying at local prices..........

Good points. So many refuse to accept the reality of the setting, combining the cost of food, also note the cost of labor and rent being low and no liability insurance or licensing issues or taxes and it's just unreal how gullible some on here are. Chicken for example is exported from Thailand, around the globe. How can it be expensive here? Only in the eyes and guts of the farang. The Muslim angle is also interesting. There is a supplier somewhere just out of town which claims to sell chicken and lamb which has been blessed but I think that's also a fraud. Like you, I use chicken and rice as a barameter and it should be 30-40 Baht max yet we see it in the farang joints 80-120 Baht. Same serving size and quality. 

• Like 2

Swiss Restaurants on SOI DIAMOND

(between Walking street and 2nd road)

I must admit it's been a really, really long time since I did the walk of shame on this soi, so I was surprised tonight to notice some changes at the two big well established SWISS restaurants there.

Swiss HOUSE restaurant is closed. Maybe closed for a long time. I don't know. It used to be popular but I never went in there because my Swiss place of choice was

SWISS FOOD RESTAURANT

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d2046147-Reviews-Swiss_Food_Restaurant-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

It's still going strong. The prices seem to have gone up plus there is now a 70 baht surcharge to get the salad and soup buffet with main dishes (used to be included). I didn't eat there again yet but the signage seems to indicate that the buffet aspect has been upgraded. Would hope so considering the surcharge.

The buffet IS included with the daily specials. For example, tonight it was Veal Sausage with rosti at 320. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bollywood Kurry

2nd road, roughly across from Beverly Plaza Hotel, South Pattaya

Previously mentioned, the not yet open Indian restaurant replaces the excellent but sadly defunct Lebanese Gourmet. 

Well, the menu was out tonight, so it looked like it might already be open, but alas not for another week or so.

I had a look at the menu and what a menu it is!

It's very extensive, EXTREMELY creative (in the Bollywood fun fun fun theme), zippy cool design without being TOO cheesy, and there appeared to be a number of dishes there we don't normally see on standard Indian menus here. (No pictures.)

I consider it an encouraging sign that so much effort obviously went into the very professionally produced menu ... maybe that means a similar effort will be in the food as well. 

Hope springs eternal with Indian food here ...

Prices typical mid-level for the Pattaya market, chicken curries in the 200s, etc. 

Thali prices quite HIGH. Over 300. Hopefully indicating they might be exceptional thalis, but no guarantees on that. 

The owner indicated DELHI style emphasis on the menu but that they can cook any style, including dishes not on the menu. 

If you do try it, I'd recommend coming when you're not overly hungry because the menu itself is a lot to digest (would take time). 

Like I said, hope springs eternal! 

Edited by Jingthing

Mati Hari Restaurant

Local institution of higher eating

is now offering a lower cost LUNCH menu.

Or so says a sign out front.

Sadly I can find no online info about this LUNCH menu.

Can someone that goes there post some info about it?

I did glean from the sign that they are not open between lunch and dinner, and probably M-F only.

It was a baht bus drive by ... what more can I say? 

http://www.mataharipattaya.com/

• Like 1

If you like really 'ethnic' pre-cooked low cost thai meals, check out Khao Poon Resturant, on soi BhoaKhao, just past jasmine, heading towards Pat. Tai.on the opposite side of the street.
I think it's a new small 'hole in the wall' place but the smells stopped me and I tasted three dishes, all superb thai cooking, or maybe I was just very hungry.
This is worth at least one revisit.  Very friendly staff, such a nice change, and the chef even speaks English!

19 hours ago, Nice Boyd said:

Carl's Jr. What happened to my Guacamole Bacon burger? So I chose Chili Burger, Disgusting, it had juice of chili , but no substance, Warning don't order, I guess I was in Isaan too long

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Sorry, but I think Carl's burgers are disgusting, they only smell and taste of fat - I wonder how they can conceal the taste of beef so well.

Tried the NEW YORK Pizza restaurant on Third Road last night.

we ordered the very large Hawaiin and double cheese pizza .

I love cheese and thought by ordering double it would be very tasty ?

Nope it was tasteless cheese ! I even called the waiter over to ask what cheese they are using because it was absolotely tasteless !!!

he didnt know, but one of my thai companions said he doesnt think it was real cheese? Obviously it was because it looked like cheese, just with no taste .

waste of money in my opinion .

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1

Tried a Chinese restaurant in Soi Chaiyapoon called Chow Soy ??

Should of walked out when they said they dont serve Won Ton soup aka short soup.

but i persisted and ordered a Beef with black bean sauce for 180b

out came a normal thai rice with beef and you guessed it , a jar of black bean sauce.

shouldnt be calling themselves a Chinese restaurant !!!

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Should of walked out when they said they dont serve Won Ton soup aka short soup.

out came a normal thai rice with beef and you guessed it , a jar of black bean sauce.

That's a classic. Thanks for sharing.

13 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Agree. I've tired several so called Chinese dishes there and given up. I've not found Won Ton or Egg Drop soup in any Pattaya restaurants. Dumplings are also rare but surprisingly the ones in Tuk Com, back left ground floor, are actually good. 

Volterra Italian Restaurant

Soi Yensabai, South Pattaya

CLOSED PERMANENTLY:sorry:

From their site (google translated text):

https://www.facebook.com/Volterra-Italian-Restaurant-Pizzeria-245793128810743/

Thank you, thank you and thank you again. 
To all the customers and friends who in these long nine years have followed me in this business project. 
But the time has come in which the restaurant Volterra arrivals at the end of his story. Friday, September 30 it will be his last day of life. 
There are no regrets there are no recriminations, it is life. 
Thank you again. ...

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2016 at 2:33 PM, Jingthing said:

Similar quality ... somewhat different styles.

The Place is a little higher cost for some dishes. It has yellow rice on offer ("Persian") while Simon's doesn't. 

There is also Jasmine but their menu is much less extensive than The Place or Simons.

The Centara (synagogue) restaurant is the only Kosher place so they have to charge a lot more for the Kosher meat dishes as the cost to source is higher (also hotel location overhead). It's probably somewhat more sophisticated for some dishes as well. 

There really isn't any high end "gourmet Israeli food place in town ... it's interesting that Israeli food has become quite trendy in the west these days, a lot of innovation going on as Israeli is a such a rich mix of international cultures. But here it's pretty standard stuff. 

The synagogue is at Centra hotel off soi Diana. Free all you can eat every Friday at 6pm and Saturday at 11am. All welcome except Thais. 

default_large (1).png

1_Logo_4.jpg

Ob Aroi Thai Seafood Restaurant

Jomtien Beach road

front of Villa Navin resort.

Coming from Pattaya, pass the Jomtien NIGHT market and then it's not very far after that.

https://foursquare.com/v/villa-navin-resort-วลลานาวน-รสอรท/4d4d54659ee1a35d716524df

Famous and affordable BANGKOK seafood restaurant now in Jomtien!

I consider this a major new restaurant. Open only three months now.

It's quite large and there are two separate seating sections. 

Also the location is quite convenient compared to the much further out places.

VERY baht bus friendly. 

Famous in Bangkok for doing simple signature THAI SEAFOOD dishes very well.

Such as woon sen hot pots with prawns (250) or crab (400 for smaller), fried sea bass with mango salad (350), crab fried rice (80 for small).

Not cheap but not a rip off either as the quality is there, drink prices reasonable, and no plus plus.

So far I tried the woon sen prawn pot and the crab fried rice. Probably the best versions of those I've ever had but there was something I found odd with the woon sen pot. There were no ginger slices in it. I've never seen that dish done without it. I even talked to staff because I thought it was a mistake and they seemed to be used to the question, indicating that their style is NOT to include ginger. I still would want want ginger in it, but the prawns were large and otherwise it was exceptionally well seasoned with garlic, black pepper, and pork fat.  The crab fried rice was perfect ... large chunks in it. 

This is a great place for many different kinds of people ... international tourists, expat and Thai residents, Thai tourists, etc. 

Attentive service. (OK, too attentive ... they stare.)

Dining is outside but covered.

Open daily 11 AM to 11 P.M.
They've been open three months.

I can't compare directly to the Bangkok location because I've never been but they feature the same dishes.

About the Bangkok location (Lad Prao area so more of a LOCALS place there):

Website with Bangkok menu w/ pictures:

http://www.obaroi.com/menu.html

http://bk.asia-city.com/restaurants/news/best-old-school-seafood-restaurants-bangkok

Ob Aroi

What was once a small food stall with only four tables is now a booming restaurant with over 100 seats; a fairly remarkable feat considering its far-flung location. What makes this place so special is not the atmosphere or the décor — as it’s lacking in both ­­— but the food. The seafood is undeniably fresh and Ob Aroi makes even the simplest of dishes remarkable. Their grilled river prawns are not only juicy and tender but also have an incredibly smoky flavor.

http://bangkok-wow.blogspot.com/2015/09/ob-aroi-seafood-is-aroi-mak-mak.html

OB AROI SEAFOOD IS AROI MAK MAK

Edited by Jingthing

New Pars Iranian Restaurant

2nd road (near Beverly Hotel) in the South Pattaya "Middle eastern/Indian" district

PERMANENLY CLOSED:sorry:

After several years in business.

Somewhat shocking, they appeared to do a good trade and were indeed one the better Iranian food options in town.

Other Iranian places nearby are the currrent reincarnation of Nayeb (yet to try it) and the recently mentioned REZA, a very new one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2016 at 6:21 AM, peeba7 said:

If you like really 'ethnic' pre-cooked low cost thai meals, check out Khao Poon Resturant, on soi BhoaKhao, just past jasmine, heading towards Pat. Tai.on the opposite side of the street.
I think it's a new small 'hole in the wall' place but the smells stopped me and I tasted three dishes, all superb thai cooking, or maybe I was just very hungry.
This is worth at least one revisit.  Very friendly staff, such a nice change, and the chef even speaks English!

Yes I tried it. It's very, very funky but the real deal for going local.

They mostly specialize in KNANOM CHIN curry dishes and add ons on the table.

I had that and the flavor was good.

Also there were some pots of other curries that weren't really KHANOM CHIN stews.

40 baht for KHANOM CHIN. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khanom_chin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2016 at 10:58 PM, Jingthing said:

New buffet restaurant coming your way.

Tip Top International Buffet

Thai and Western

299 baht

It's being built now in the Soi Diana pedestrian restaurant row, off 2nd road.

The one with Patricks.

Previously the location was called Holiday, mostly Arabic food, a dramatic FLOP.

This does not appear to be a chain based on the signage, but not sure.

It doesn't sounds all that exciting, I know, but it is restaurant news, so don't shoot the messenger!

I have kind of a funny (pathetic?) development to report about this new "buffet" restaurant.

Beautiful and expensive looking sign still up saying it's a BUFFET, but guess what, no buffet, it "didn't work" so back to the drawing board.

It is now open as a regular restaurant with Thai dishes, grilled meat dishes, and standard "European" dishes.

Prices moderate (some might think high moderate) and of course significantly higher than nearby Kiss (though different dishes offered).

They also sell Indian food from Little India, another restaurant on that alley. It's cooked in the other restaurant, so I guess that's more for groups that want to eat different things.

Such a presentation doesn't give a vibe that says "eat here" to me, but consider this for information purposes in case you were looking forward a a new and "exciting" buffet restaurant. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

au bon coin  in pratumnak. If you want nice France food is the place to go.

Very good lamb.

Centara Phratumank  and the seafood buffet on friday for 499 thb. I think is really good value for money. The drink are a bit expensive but is a very nice place to eat.

• Thanks 1

Great Punjab Indian tour group buffet restaurant

Soi 1, North Pattaya, between 2nd and beach road, south side

Updated information

Open for lunch and dinner.

Can do the buffet bring to your table style OR at an actual buffet when they have tour group clients.

The retail non-tour cost is 200 for vegetarian and 250 for non-vegetarian.

I tried the non-vegetarian but the one meat dish (chicken curry) wasn't really worth the extra 50 baht so I would say if you go, consider going with the vegetarian.

Offered was a delicious unusual vegetable type dish (the highlight), and also the predictable standards, yellow dal, paneer w/ spinach, rice, pickles/onions, roti. No raita yogurt.

They had roti on the buffet, not nan, but I asked for nan at the table which they don't normally do but they agreed to include it.

There is free water from dispensers, so no need to pay extra for water.

I didn't love their nan (I can be so polite) ... the roti looked better, so next time I would just eat the roti.

I sampled the buffet at 8 but it had been out awhile so food was not hot enough. 

The spice level is moderate. The complexity level of the curries nothing special, but like I said there was one vegetable dish that was really quite good.

The actual buffet when they do it starts at about 7 or 8, depends on their tour group bookings. Can't predict unless you call. 

This place used to have a side room more for an a la carte menu but that may not be happening now (staff said aircon is broken in there).

So really go there for the buffet if you want. It's not exactly any kind of culinary festival, but if you're in there area and hungry for some BASIC Indian food, there it is. 

As far as the prices, yes, we can assume tour groups do not pay 200 a head for the veg. option, but unless you're in an Indian tour group, that doesn't concern you. It's nice that they open this tour group buffet restaurant to the public and in my view it's not too bad a "feed" at 200 for the veg. option.

My main "complaint" is lack of raita, but perhaps they would offer that if asked, I didn't ask as I could see they were doing me a favor with the nan, didn't want to push it. 

To add, if you do go you will receive a very warm welcome. I get the impression they don't get many non-tour group customers, so you can feel special. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, opporna said:

Aroma at the end of Naklua Soi 18 (near the beach) is a similar place. 200 baht including the meat dish and including yogurt the two times I've gone. It seems like similar opening hours as well, 1 to 4 pm or so and 8 to 10 or so. Here is their Facebook Page.

Yeah, I tried it once years ago. Wasn't sure they were still running, so thanks.

Good to fill the tummy but nothing to write home to Mumbai about. 

On 10/4/2016 at 7:04 PM, Nice Boyd said:

I've been going to O'Garas Pub at Tara Court Hotel on Prantamak Hill ,Food is great and consistent, prices not bad, clean ,waitresses speak English, the owner brings in a English teacher once a week, Burgers, Steaks, Indian, Lamb , Check it out...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I was in there yesterday for the first time ever and was impressed.

Prices good for food and beer and quality good too.

Hit and Run Thread FIND THE RESTAURANT MYSTERY challenge!:partytime2:

Now, for some fun.

A major new CHINESE restaurant has opened up somewhere in PATTAYA.

It's likely the best CHINESE restaurant to open up in PATTAYA this CENTURY.

I know about it, I have pictures, but JUST FOR FUN ... readers out there ... BE THE FIRST TO NAME IT.

(No, it is not the Sechuan hot pot place on 3rd road so don't name that.)