Red-Shirts To Push For Amnesty Law: Thailand

webfact

Reds to push for amnesty law

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The red-shirt movement yesterday unveiled its New Year plan to push for the amnesty law and amendment of the Constitution to bring justice to its members who struggled for democracy, leader Thida Thavornseth said yesterday.

The group will continue its efforts to free on bail red-shirt members who were detained after an uprising against the previous Abhisit Vejjajiva-led government, she said.

She said the amnesty law proposed by the group would help protesters of all colours, not only the red shirts.

However, persons responsible for ordering the murder of people should not qualify for the amnesty, she said.

The red-shirt leader insisted that her group wanted to amend the military-sponsored Constitution as it empowered some elite groups to have an influence over the politics.

The group supported the idea of going ahead with the third reading in Parliament of the charter amendment bill to enable the government to set up a charter drafting council to write the new constitution, instead of having a national referendum, she said.

The constitution amendment process was delayed in Parliament, pending the final vote, after the Constitution Court ruled on the need to have a national referendum first.

Only Parliament has the authority to amend the Constitution and the judicial branch has no power to intervene in the process, Thida said.

"Which direction does this government want to move towards - aristocracy or democracy?" she asked, and added: "It might be an uphill task, but we have to move towards democracy.

"We have to take the people's interests into account, and real democracy is our objective," she said.

The red-shirt group called for the government to listen to the voice of the people rather than the voice of the aristocratic elite, she said.

Thida said the major challenge for the red-shirt movement next year would be from conservatives and royalist groups such as the People's Alliance for Democracy and the Pitak Siam group who fear elite power diminishing after amendment of the Constitution for real democracy.

The red-shirt group, which is the main mass support for the current government, will help it carry on its task of protecting democracy, she said.

Pheu Thai Party MP and red-shirt leader Weng Tojirakarn said the group would push for the amnesty law for the red shirts. He also called on the Foreign Ministry to champion the ratification of the Rome Statute to enable the International Criminal Court to try cases of the red shirts.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-29

• Like 1

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a single word on the dear leader in this article. I wonder what type of lives these people have outside of politics. Must be dam_n boring. Maybe in the new year the red and yellow shirt organisation should be boycotted by the thai media.

Just imagine that. Not a word about the dear leader nor the rabble that supports him and the dear family!

So now they are ready to give AV and ST amnesti. R.Amsterdam what is your comment?

I am not so sure about your statement, look again at what she said: She said the amnesty law proposed by the group would help protesters of all colours, not only the red shirts.

However, persons responsible for ordering the murder of people should not qualify for the amnesty, she said.

• Like 1

So now they are ready to give AV and ST amnesti. R.Amsterdam what is your comment?

I am not so sure about your statement, look again at what she said: She said the amnesty law proposed by the group would help protesters of all colours, not only the red shirts.

Yes, I read it again,thanks.

Not so sure about that, you need to read it again......She said the amnesty law proposed by the group would help protesters of all colours, not only the red shirts.

But have AV orderd anybody to be murdered? I don´t think so.

Didn't look like Seh Daeng ran into that bullet

• Like 1

As far as I remember, the present constitution was voted and approved by a majority of Thai people. So it is probably more democratic than the Red Shirt/Phue Thai sponsored new constitution, which the Red Shirts don't want to submit to a popular vote.

The question is why? Afraid that they won't get a majority?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 2

Not so sure about that, you need to read it again......She said the amnesty law proposed by the group would help protesters of all colours, not only the red shirts.

Didn't hear AV order him killed either.

And who actually gained from Seh Daeng being shot?

• Like 1

The Red Mob Leaders that Sae Daeng said thaksin had said he was removing

Edited by Buchholz

The Red Mob Leaders that Sae Daeng said thaksin had said he was removing

Right, by that logic the black shirts were working for the government.

Edited by Rich teacher

I just see a whole lot of buz words in that article but none of it makes any sense - democracy and ignore the law in the same paragraph - this woman wouldn't know a democracy in a hundred lives, she along with the rest of the rabble don't have the capacity to understand what the word means.

Ears eyes open mouth shut is the best advise I can offer

I thought she was a communist.

Thaksin as Seh Daeng was getting out of hand.

To carry it a step farther all of Thailand gained.

• Like 1

Magnanimous Thida wants an amnesty for the people she likes but not for those she doesn't like, and not for the red shirts because they did nothing wrong. Either more hide than a cow elephant, too stupid to realise the level of hypocrisy, or pandering to those with that deficit. My money's on a combination of first and last.

"Either more hide than a cow elephant, too stupid to realise the level of hypocrisy, or pandering to those with that deficit"

Yes those are the requirements for membership in the red shirts.

• Like 1

She said the amnesty law proposed by the group would help protesters of all colours, not only the red shirts.

Strangely enough, only one colour is asking for amnesty, the other has alredy refused it. Magnanimous Thida has consented to give her friends amnesty, what a humanitarian. While she continues to run communist "schools", she cries for democracy, the mind boggles.

• Like 2

Thaksin gained from the assassination of Sae Daeng on international tv. No way Thaksin had him slaughtered, Sae Daeng was a loyal man who was totally miffed about being constantly overlooked for promotion when he was Thailands only real Officer (his superiors where jus money men and golfers).

Who gave the order to murder a Thai citizen as it was no Will Smith or Tommy Lee Jones. Abhisit would be the only one with authority but no one can see him giving this order, but his superiors may of. These amaat believe they can still do what they have been doing for 60 years.

Thaksin gained from the assassination of Sae Daeng on international tv. No way Thaksin had him slaughtered, Sae Daeng was a loyal man who was totally miffed about being constantly overlooked for promotion when he was Thailands only real Officer (his superiors where jus money men and golfers).

Who gave the order to murder a Thai citizen as it was no Will Smith or Tommy Lee Jones. Abhisit would be the only one with authority but no one can see him giving this order, but his superiors may of. These amaat believe they can still do what they have been doing for 60 years.

There is a theory that it was payback for Colonel Romklao's death from someone high up.

Yes amnesty Red shirt style - only for people WE want it for!

How about letting EVERYONE off the hook......as is usual in this country..

Which frees the country up for another coup and to start the whole dirty cycle again....

When will they learn? Punish them all I say!!