Investing In Thailand

From Police order 777/2551

2.5 In the case of an investment:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

B. In case of an investment of not less than 10 million baht.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) Proof of money transfer to Thailand of not less than 10 million baht.

(3) Proof of investment to purchase or rent for a period not less than 3 years of unit in a condominium from an agency or government agency concerned at a price of not less than 10 million baht.

(4) Proof of investment in the form of a fixed deposit of not less than 10 million baht with a bank registered in Thailand with Thai shareholders comprising more than 50% of its shareholders.

(5) Proof of investment to purchase government or state enterprise bonds with a value of not less than 10 million baht or

(6) Proof of combined investments as set out in clauses (3),(4)

Or (5) having a total value of not less than 10 million baht.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

What does the "rent for a period for not less than 3 years" option mean? Does this mean that:

a) The annual rent must be 10m or

B) That the cumulative rent over the 3 years must be 10m, or

c) That the condo being rented must have a value of more than 10m?

It would be difficult to achieve a) or B), so I can only imagine that the correct answer is c). Can anyone confirm?

Also, does anyone know what kind of "Government or state enterprise bonds" qualify? Do they have to be denominated in Baht? What is the risk/return profile of these eligible investments?

Many thanks,
Tom

What does the "rent for a period for not less than 3 years" option mean? Does this mean that:

a) The annual rent must be 10m or

cool.png That the cumulative rent over the 3 years must be 10m, or

c) That the condo being rented must have a value of more than 10m?

It would be difficult to achieve a) or cool.png, so I can only imagine that the correct answer is c). Can anyone confirm?

Also, does anyone know what kind of "Government or state enterprise bonds" qualify? Do they have to be denominated in Baht? What is the risk/return profile of these eligible investments?

Many thanks,

Tom

It's a total of 10 million baht in 3 years.

Most people would buy a condo and then meet the remaining amount for the 10 million by putting money into the other investments allowed.

Yields on Thai government bonds range from 2.76% for 1 year to 3.92% for 18 year. S&P rates Thailand's sovereign debt as BBB+.

minus income tax!

Correct

But you could get a tax ID number and do an annual income filing you could get all or most of it back. You would only have to pay taxes on the amount over about 210K (or more if married and have other deductions) baht.

Edited by ubonjoe

Thanks everyone for your help. Bangkokburning - the idea here is not to make a savvy investment, but simply to get a long-term visa. Whether the 10m is put into Thai bank deposits, Thai Gov bonds or property, the problem will be the same if Thailand ends up in another crisis. The problem is that the alternatives (e.g. business visa by starting a Thai company or educational visa) are either expensive or time consuming or both, so the Investment Visa seems like a reasonable option.

What would you do instead? I would like to live in Thailand without working and without studying and without having to duck and dive every few weeks/months to renew my visa. I have the funds available to invest 10m baht if needed and don't need any income from Thailand in order to live.

All the best,

Tom

Who values the condo?

Who does the yearly ongoing value of the condo, or is it based entirely on purchase price?

At least with the condo, you have it no matter what. The bonds, who knows. The bank and other shares etc, who knows. The condo may be worth less if you buy stupid, but at least you still have it and can die in it if you wish.

Condo value is original purchase price.

Also an important note to OP is that all money brought into the country for investment extension and condo purchase must be transferred into a government owned bank.;

I would like to live in Thailand without working and without studying
and without having to duck and dive every few weeks/months to renew my
visa.

I would like to have it like this too. But sorry, up to now sick.gif , this is not possible in Thailand.

Every year the same but new papers for the visa, and every 90 days somebody has to confirm your adresse.