Getting From Airport To Hotel Unscathed?

chris1dna

Going to Phuket for a few days. What's the latest/best way to safely get the wife, son and I from the airport to our hotel in Kata without getting ripped off by the taxi mafia? Or is it just luck of the draw and all bets are off. Hotel wants baht 700 for the privilege. Thanks in advance everyone.

• Like 1

Turn a sharp right after exiting the airport. Ignore all the morons that are dancing around the entrance waving their arms and looking like the next contestants for 'who wants to be a millionare' and go to the real taxi rank, they are really good

• Like 1

Turn a sharp right after exiting the airport. Ignore all the morons that are dancing around the entrance waving their arms and looking like the next contestants for 'who wants to be a millionare' and go to the real taxi rank, they are really good

The taxis refuse to use the meters and are usually charging a fare similar to the aot service less 100baht to patong. Short of a fistfight, not much one can do.

The problem with the aot service is the bait and switch ripoff. They can charge the private car fare and stick you in a shared minivan.

Edited by geriatrickid

The taxis refuse to use the meters and are usually charging a fare similar to the aot service less 100baht to patong. Short of a fistfight, not much one can do.

The problem with the aot service is the bait and switch ripoff. They can charge the private car fare and stick you in a shared minivan.

I thought you dwelled around Hua Hin. How is it your an expert on the Phuket taxi service? Also if anyone cares for it I can provide the number of a GREEN PLATE taxi driver that can pick you up and set you down for a reasonable price without all the dramas

<snip>

The taxis refuse to use the meters and are usually charging a fare similar to the aot service less 100baht to patong.

<snip>

Yes, I don't know why they are allowed to show the sign "Taxi-Meter" since the prices are fixed. Having said that, I haven't actually seen a taxi in Rawai to know if they do actually have a "Taxi-Meter" sign. smile.png

The Hotel 700 baht seems the safest bet.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I'll go with the hotel pick up then. Seems pricy but I guess that's the rate I'm stuck with these days. Hate what's happened to Phuket, so lucky we are only staying a few nights till our dive bout sets out with us for a week. Thanks again. Happy new year all.

even when they used the meter they were more expensive then meter in bkk..

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I'll go with the hotel pick up then. Seems pricy but I guess that's the rate I'm stuck with these days. Hate what's happened to Phuket, so lucky we are only staying a few nights till our dive bout sets out with us for a week. Thanks again. Happy new year all.

Good luck. As the weather is a bit unsettled, can I ask you to please check the number of life vests on the boat before you set off? I don't want to make you nervous, but better to be safe than sorry! wink.png

It will be 100-150 baht more, as the cheapest meter taxi will charge you. A 'real' hotel will send a Camry.

A meter taxi can get in trouble, with 3 dive gear bags, and the extra LPG tank.

One deco beer less for the parents, on the first and last day of your dive trip, and you got that covered!

Also they will wave a name sign for you. VIP-pickup, no touts will trouble you, outside the building!

That's more, as you can pay for, with 150 baht!

Good luck. As the weather is a bit unsettled, can I ask you to please check the number of life vests on the boat before you set off? I don't want to make you nervous, but better to be safe than sorry! wink.png

Are you a diver? In case, the boat sinks:

Safe the dive gear, take the cam, and go for a wreck dive!rolleyes.gif

I thought you dwelled around Hua Hin. How is it your an expert on the Phuket taxi service? Also if anyone cares for it I can provide the number of a GREEN PLATE taxi driver that can pick you up and set you down for a reasonable price without all the dramas

Thanks for your concern. yes, I am currently in Hua Hin (and loving it). However, prior to this I was a regular commuter on the HKT to Patong drive. I stopped using the aot limo service from the airport 2 years ago because of the ripoffs. the metered taxis are now no better most days. Something is very wrong within the aot. know what i love best about Hua Hin?

No bs like at hkt airport.

• Like 1

Like mentioned, The meter taxi sigh is in big bright yellow and black writing on the right when exit the airport. Best to ignore the 100+ robbers charging 1300 Baht to Patong, When It will cost 500 Baht to Patong using the Meter Taxi rank.

Do you mean that you paid for an private AOT car and they put you in an shared mini van ?

I find this hard to believe.

I use the AOT cars on a regular basis and never saw something like this happening or heard this from anybody else.

I don't have experience with the meter taxi's as i never used them.

What's a 'BCD'? unsure.png

I guess you don't dive? http://en.wikipedia....ensator_(diving)

Thanks.

No - I get seasick snorkelling - much to the disgust of my dive master son sad.png

Getting seasick, being In the water yourself? That's very unusual!

Not to say, almost impossible.

There are no conflicting signals, as soon you are in the water yourself!

I know some people with the same experience. Unusual, yes, impossible, no.

Thanks.

No - I get seasick snorkelling - much to the disgust of my dive master son sad.png

I know some people with the same experience. Unusual, yes, impossible, no.

You know strange people!

Usually people gets seasick on the way by boat to a dive/snorkel site.

And almost everyone, I ever met, got better in the water. You only need to convince them, to go in.

Ever tried to find out, which of the 'sensors' is working wrong for the people, you know about getting seasick in the water?

Badly ametropic, maybe, but normal Dive'masks'?

Would be very interesting to know, methinks.

Edited by noob7

I thought this was about travel from the airport, not diving.

Before they had the taxi meters outside I always used to pay for a limo from the desk inside. It was the same price for years, the drivers were generally pretty good & the cars comfortable. I hardly ever travel now so no idea what it is like these days but IMO if the hotel offers a limo pick up for only 100 or 200 more than the airport limo service then take the hotel one. That small amount of money is negligible compared to the overall cost of the holiday & if something happens or service is unsatisfactory then at least there is some come back to the hotel.

I thought this was about travel from the airport, not diving.

Before they had the taxi meters outside I always used to pay for a limo from the desk inside. It was the same price for years, the drivers were generally pretty good & the cars comfortable. I hardly ever travel now so no idea what it is like these days but IMO if the hotel offers a limo pick up for only 100 or 200 more than the airport limo service then take the hotel one. That small amount of money is negligible compared to the overall cost of the holiday & if something happens or service is unsatisfactory then at least there is some come back to the hotel.

Yes Valentine. That's what we hav decided as well. Thanks. And noob7, no they are not connected. Pick up from and back to hotel from Kata to Kao lak is with west coast divers. Not part if Hotel.

Edited by chris1dna

What's a 'BCD'? unsure.png

I guess you don't dive? http://en.wikipedia....ensator_(diving)

Thanks.

Off topic, yes, but I couldn't leave this unanswered...

Maybe the reason why it's so unusual is that people like me who have gotten seasick snorkelling tend not to try it more than once. We are hardwired to avoid nausea.