Obtaining Refund Of Tax Withheld On Thai Bank Fixed Savings Account

What's the maximum refund per year, is it 20,000 or 30,000 baht per person?

I wouldn't know but I will say that while fling today the tax clerk mentioned "as FYI only" that if I ever file for "more than 10,000 baht" refund I would need to file in another section of the office...she kinda pointed to some room across the hall. Maybe there are different filing procedures when the refund reaches X-amount. Unless savings interest rates go up big time or I decide to put around Bt2M in fixed savings accounts I won't be approaching the need to visit the room across the hall. Right now I only keep a little over Bt800K in fixed accounts to meet the retirement extension of stay renewal requirement (I don't do the high priced embassy income letter thing anymore) and to have an emergency part of money.

My refund last year was 16k but this year I have 30k in deducted tax, the procedure last year was as you have described so I'm not sure what the difference could be. The tax free income amount was 150k per year but then a new band was created from 150k to 300k which was taxed at 5% (or was it 10%), it's not clear to me if that second part was actually enacted into law.

I wouldn't know but I will say that while fling today the tax clerk mentioned "as FYI only" that if I ever file for "more than 10,000 baht" refund I would need to file in another section of the office...she kinda pointed to some room across the hall. Maybe there are different filing procedures when the refund reaches X-amount. Unless savings interest rates go up big time or I decide to put around Bt2M in fixed savings accounts I won't be approaching the need to visit the room across the hall. Right now I only keep a little over Bt800K in fixed accounts to meet the retirement extension of stay renewal requirement (I don't do the high priced embassy income letter thing anymore) and to have an emergency part of money.

My refund last year was 16k but this year I have 30k in deducted tax, the procedure last year was as you have described so I'm not sure what the difference could be. The tax free income amount was 150k per year but then a new band was created from 150k to 300k which was taxed at 5% (or was it 10%), it's not clear to me if that second part was actually enacted into law.

The new rates for "2014" were implemented according to news releases in the 13 Dec 13 Nation and 14 Dec 13 Bangkok Post, to include the new 150K to 300K band taxed at 5%.

The new rates for "2014" were implemented according to news releases in the 13 Dec 13 Nation and 14 Dec 13 Bangkok Post, to include the new 150K to 300K band taxed at 5%.

Thanks, so that means the first 22,500 of tax paid is fully refundable and two thirds of the next 22,500 of tax paid (15,000) is refundable also.

Thanks, so that means the first 22,500 of tax paid is fully refundable and two thirds of the next 22,500 of tax paid (15,000) is refundable also.

Yeap, sounds like Yinluck (or whoever the next PM is) will get to keep 1/3 of the 15% withholding tax of total interested earned above 150,000 baht. Gosh to be seeing a 30K baht tax withholding this means you are earning around 200K baht total interest before the 15% withholding...and to earn 200K interest, say at around 4%, means you have around 7.5M baht in fixed accounts. I want to come live with you. thumbsup.gif

Yeap, sounds like Yinluck (or whoever the next PM is) will get to keep 1/3 of the 15% withholding tax of total interested earned above 150,000 baht. Gosh to be seeing a 30K baht tax withholding this means you are earning around 200K baht total interest before the 15% withholding...and to earn 200K interest, say at around 4%, means you have around 7.5M baht in fixed accounts. I want to come live with you. thumbsup.gif

I'll have you know I'm not that kind of boy! laugh.png

Actually much of that is from the sale of a condo (which many posters say we shouldn't buy, ahem), bought at 67 baht per Pound so go figure.

The Thai wife and I then went to the personal income/revenue tax office here in my khet (district) in Bangkok, asked how do we get the tax refund, a nice customer support lady pulled out a simple one page Form Kor 10, Request of refund of Tax Payment and helped us complete it. The form is all in Thai...and don't even ask me where a copy might be downloaded...maybe someone else knows....just go to the tax office to get a copy.

Here it is, but you need to fill it & then print you cannot save it filled in

http://www.thaifranchisecenter.com/download_file/files/11-k10161050_130351.pdf

Thanks. Actually you can print that form to a PDF printer, then open and fill it in using a PDF editor, although the text alignment within fields is then trickier. After that, you're golden, as you can just change a few numbers year after year on the form.

the wife went yesterday and filed our tax refund request all done and dusted in 20minutes.she was then told next yr.it will be very easy to do it on the internet.she was shown what do do login in on your personel no.13digits.

they gave her a print out of what form they filled in,looks quite easy but i will have to look on their websight to see if its in english.

what i can read that they have the total interest recieved from 3 fixed accs.and the total tax witheld this is on page 1 and 2 of the form 90.

on the back of page 4 at the top it has my allowance and the wife's as 30,000bht.each so it does look like us, that have no earnings in thailand now claim all the tax we pay up to 30k instead of the previous yrs.20k.

the forms do look quite easy to fill in if its in english its just making sure you put all the right no.'s in,eg.the banks certificate id.no.

your 13digit no.in my case the wifes as well plus the total amount of interest recieved and the total tax reclaiming.

so come on C.M.this should be easy for you to do.

oh she was also told you dont need a printer as it will be stored on their comp.

Can you tell me if the downloaded Kor 10 doc here will work anywhere or does one need the Por Kor Dor 90 as mentioned as replaced? And if so, is it downloadable anywhere?

what the wife has told me and she understands tax paying and refunds as she done p.a.y.e. in the uk.that you can fill in the form on line [pages 1-4] 2 sheets you dont need to print out a copy unless you want to.

its only the por-kor-dor that needs filling in.

just go to www.rd.go.th/

I'm a little confused by this, the form Por Kor Dor 90 is for people who only have interest income whereas Kor Por Dor 91 is for people who earn salary also, not sure where the Kor 10 fits in. And having just spoken to the call centre they confirm that the 90 is the document to use.

I'm a little confused by this, the form Por Kor Dor 90 is for people who only have interest income whereas Kor Por Dor 91 is for people who earn salary also, not sure where the Kor 10 fits in. And having just spoken to the call centre they confirm that the 90 is the document to use.

as the topic is tax withheld on fixed savings acc.its only form 90 which we have always had.as this yrs[2012-2013] claims been done i havent had a look to see if they have an english site for next yr.as the filling in seems quite easy with mine and the wifes accs.added together with both our i.d.do you cm.know anything about the tax allowance that is what you are able to claim back, previously it was up to 20k.now by the look of it its risen to 30k. why i am concerned is we have 2 accs maturing next week and if we were to say open any other fixed acc.maturing before dec.31st.2014 the tax withheld will take us over the 20k.each but if it has gone up to 30k each we will be ok.

The Thai wife and I then went to the personal income/revenue tax office here in my khet (district) in Bangkok, asked how do we get the tax refund, a nice customer support lady pulled out a simple one page Form Kor 10, Request of refund of Tax Payment and helped us complete it. The form is all in Thai...and don't even ask me where a copy might be downloaded...maybe someone else knows....just go to the tax office to get a copy.

Thanks. Actually you can print that form to a PDF printer, then open and fill it in using a PDF editor, although the text alignment within fields is then trickier. After that, you're golden, as you can just change a few numbers year after year on the form.

As FYI to explain the easy/fast/painless entries on the Kor 10 form if your tax revenue office uses the Kor 10:

Block 1 is just your full name as shown on your passport. There was no entry in the first set of boxes and the tax office entered some number in the second set of boxes...this number was not my passport number nor my tax ID number...really don't know what the number was...maybe it was the ID of the particular tax revenue office I used.

Block 2 is your address and phone number, with the boxed entry area being for your address postal code.

Block 3 and 4: no entries

Block 5: what the refund request is for, tax year, and total refund amount requested.

Block 6: no entries

Block 7: a short sentence in written in basically saying you don't work in Thailand, have no income other than this bank interest income, etc.

Block 8: you write down a list of the attachment to the Kor 10 like a copy of your passport 1st page, bank tax doc(s), etc

Then right below Block 8 you sign on the line just above the line within the parenthesis marks,

After I got my tax ID number it was entered on the very top right corner of the form...not on any line, just at the very top right hand corner.

Really easy to fill out...if you can fill out a 90 address reporting form, then you have the talent to fill out a Kor 10 if your tax office uses the Kor 10. And giving the puppy dog eyes look when going into the tax office may help also....I think it does.

I like Thailand, I'm happy to pay their taxes.

Don't understand why everyone is so desperate to claim such small amounts back.

If you do not want yours ,can i have it? my mum always said"look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves"

• Like 2

As FYI to explain the easy/fast/painless entries on the Kor 10 form if your tax revenue office uses the Kor 10:

Block 1 is just your full name as shown on your passport. There was no entry in the first set of boxes and the tax office entered some number in the second set of boxes...this number was not my passport number nor my tax ID number...really don't know what the number was...maybe it was the ID of the particular tax revenue office I used.

Block 2 is your address and phone number, with the boxed entry area being for your address postal code.

Block 3 and 4: no entries

Block 5: what the refund request is for, tax year, and total refund amount requested.

Block 6: no entries

Block 7: a short sentence in written in basically saying you don't work in Thailand, have no income other than this bank interest income, etc.

Block 8: you write down a list of the attachment to the Kor 10 like a copy of your passport 1st page, bank tax doc(s), etc

Then right below Block 8 you sign on the line just above the line within the parenthesis marks,

After I got my tax ID number it was entered on the very top right corner of the form...not on any line, just at the very top right hand corner.

Really easy to fill out...if you can fill out a 90 address reporting form, then you have the talent to fill out a Kor 10 if your tax office uses the Kor 10. And giving the puppy dog eyes look when going into the tax office may help also....I think it does.

Excellent and easy to follow instructions, thanks!

Where is the tax office in Bangkok, or does one need to go to a particular place depending on one's residence? I live in Phra Khanong. I am guessing the main spot is in the Chang Wattana complex and is going to be shut down for the coming festivities.....

I like Thailand, I'm happy to pay their taxes.

Don't understand why everyone is so desperate to claim such small amounts back.

If you do not want yours ,can i have it? my mum always said"look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves"

If someone gave you $100, would you throw it in the trash or spend it?

I would rather I got to spend my 5-6,000 baht (or even 1000) rather than letting Yingluck, Obama, or whomever it might be do so.

• Like 1

Went to the tax office Friday ,took in my letter from the bank ,a copy of my passport (plus original) photo copy of my last page of my bank book and my tax form ,the young lady filled the forms in and after 10 minutes gave me a reciept ,the cheque will be in the post ,easy as falling off a log .

Excellent and easy to follow instructions, thanks!

Where is the tax office in Bangkok, or does one need to go to a particular place depending on one's residence? I live in Phra Khanong. I am guessing the main spot is in the Chang Wattana complex and is going to be shut down for the coming festivities.....

Oh, there are dozens of tax revenue offices in Bangkok. Here's a link to the tax revenue offices in Bangkok (and the whole country)....google translate is your friend here. And be sure to click on the map as you can drill down to your area...sometimes you think you have drilled all the way down, but click again on the map or a area number on the map and it drills down further.

Edited by Pib

Went to the tax office Friday ,took in my letter from the bank ,a copy of my passport (plus original) photo copy of my last page of my bank book and my tax form ,the young lady filled the forms in and after 10 minutes gave me a reciept ,the cheque will be in the post ,easy as falling off a log .

Curiosity questions: which form did the office use...the Kor 10 form or Phor Ngor Dor 90 form or ??? form? And do you know if they issued you a tax number?

Curiosity questions: which form did the office use...the Kor 10 form or Phor Ngor Dor 90 form or ??? form? And do you know if they issued you a tax number?

Pib, not to butt in on your question but I went to Pathumwan Office January 3rd, Friday. It was my first request for a refund and went back two years, they did issue me a tax number at the same time they filled what I am almost sure was the Kor 10 form.

Sorry i have a copy of the form ,but it has no no on it ,as for the tax no ,that was issued a few years ago ,and i take the slip with me ,its the Pattaya tax office in Banglamung by the way

Sorry i have a copy of the form ,but it has no no on it ,as for the tax no ,that was issued a few years ago ,and i take the slip with me ,its the Pattaya tax office in Banglamung by the way

Or do you just have a half-sized piece of paper with a half dozen or so control numbers on it, a date, and your name? That's what I've got each time after they took my refund application using the Kor 10 form. That half-sized piece of paper is your receipt/proof you filed in case you ever need to do a status followup. I was mainly just curious to see what form the individual tax offices offices use to apply for the refund...the 10 or the 90 form. My office here in Bangkok has used the Kor 10 form both times I went to file for the refund.

Or do you just have a half-sized piece of paper with a half dozen or so control numbers on it, a date, and your name? That's what I've got each time after they took my refund application using the Kor 10 form. That half-sized piece of paper is your receipt/proof you filed in case you ever need to do a status followup. I was mainly just curious to see what form the individual tax offices offices use to apply for the refund...the 10 or the 90 form. My office here in Bangkok has used the Kor 10 form both times I went to file for the refund.

Thats it ,a small piece of paper with my name and some numbers on it ,got it some years ago and was told to bring it in every year when i claim .

Thats it ,a small piece of paper with my name and some numbers on it ,got it some years ago and was told to bring it in every year when i claim .

That sounds like your tax ID card.

No, I wasn't talking your tax ID card. The half size piece of paper with a half dozen or so entries on it (numbers one of which was my tax ID number, date, control numbers, name, etc) I was referring to is about 6" by 8" (about half the size of a full printer page)....basically it's a receipt for your filing.

When they gave me my Tax ID card this year it was on a scrap piece of paper cut to the size of a business card with my name hand printed on it, a stamp was used to stamp 13 square blocks on the paper, then the tax rep wrote in my 13 digit tax number into the blocks. On the back side of the scrap piece of paper (a.k.a., my tax ID card) was a first name and phone number of someone....the Thai wife said it was obvious the office just used scrap paper for some of the docs they handed out. That's OK...makes govt operations a little cheaper for office supplies.

But hey, I put my scrap business card sized piece of paper with my name and tax number on it....excuse me, I mean my official tax ID card... into a plastic ID card holder, lined-out the writing on the back, and tucked it away in my safe so I can find it when needed.