A Grade Insurance Not Possible On Older Car?

Sandman77

Hi!

Our insurance told us,a a degree insurance for a older car is not possible!

Siam auto finance

Can someone confirm this?

Now we pay 3000 Bath year, so is realy not possible make insurance for older car, for a higher rate?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Crap server kept me from posting but glad I saved my post.

It's 10 years not 5 in the case of comprehensive AKA first rate insurance as most of you refer to it many cars can be financed longer then 5 years and the problem I had with it's not just your car you can't cover which was never my great concern but it's being unable to add liability if you're at fault. It seems to make no sense to me that if I had hit a Merc or worse yet had a control issue due to mechanical failure or something and hit another person outside of a vehicle and caused injury or damage I could be on the hook for big money to repair it or medical bills. Probably not a problem so much for a Thai with the more expensive vehicle usually taking the cost but a foreigner may not get off so lucky and it's too big a gamble.

In the west there are all range of limits and liabilities packages available, but here in most cases it's all or nothing. I managed to get insurance on my car just under the maximum time limit which for liability coverage is 15 years and it's been grandfathered in and when I sold it, the new owner continued the coverage and now it's over 16 years old but it's covered for liability property damage and injury not for comprehensive to the car damage..

BTW it was more expensive obviously but not 15k per annum it was about 9k as I recall..

Just renewed my insurance on my 8 year Honda, was told could not have 1st class insurance with same company, but another will do for 18,000. They offered 5th class which was 8000, and the cover was exactly the same except for, 2000 baht excess, and if hit a wall, they would not fix the car, but repair the wall?

so for 10,000 difference it was absolutley no contest. (have never hit a wall yet!! 'touch wood')

Asia Insurance 1950 does!

First, second and third year 2000 baht own risk

After that none.

You choose the cover, minimum 100,000 baht for repair and loss

Other amounts 500,000 till 1,000,000

Edited by hansnl

how does 5th class & 2nd class insurance covers?

im on 3rd party insurance on my 99 tiburon, any better insurance to recommend? i heard alot on this scenarios that if a motorcyclist is being killed in a accident, the driver would be jailed till insurance bails you out or some sort along that line. what class insurance does that?

also anyone know whats the right procedure when you had accident with a unlicensed driver? if he is in a fault, would i able to get my 3rd party insurance to claim from him?

ok my 5th class insurance states :

Main coverage

Third Party 1,000,000.00 baht/Person

10,000,000.00 baht/Accident

Car insured for 350,000 (8 year old Honda)

Own damage to collision with motor vehicles : 350,000, in if fault 2000 excess

Additional coverage

100,000.00 Driver, and up tp 4 passengers

Medical expenses 100,000.00 per person

Bail Bond 300,000.00

The cost of this insurance (from AA who advertise here) 8,550.37 baht

Just to add the 5 classes are:

0: Compulsory (this could in fact be 4?)

1: Comprehensive cover

2: Fire and theft

3: Third Party only

4: ?

5: 2+1

almost seems like a piece of compter code

there you go, this is my understanding of it!

Could be wrong of course

• 4 weeks later...