Over 3,400 Have Lost Jobs In 6 Months: Thai Govt Bt300 Wage Policy

webfact

In a country of 65 mil, 3,500 people losing their job is a drop in the ocean.

How many of the 65 million population are children, students or the elderly? Do you seriously think that the whole Thai population is counted as the eligible workforce?

In the UK last year, Ford announced closures to two plants that would affect up to 2,000 jobs. The BBC seemed to think that was worthy of reporting and a union representative described it as "devasting news for UK manufacturing".

I'm sure the 3,500 people who are now out of work will be thrilled to know its just "a drop in the ocean".

Did I say "65 million workers"?

Ford (just one company!) letting go 2,000 workers, will have a lot more effect than losing 3,500 jobs country wide.

I am a bit confused, I thought, Thailand has 76 provinces ;http://www.thaivisa....-for-wage-hike/, yet the reporter states, "The minimum daily wage was first hiked in April in seven industrialised provinces including Bangkok. The country's 70 other provinces also saw the minimum wage rise by about 40 per cent under the government policy."

Thailand has 76 provinces PLUS Bangkok, which has a special administrative area. http://en.wikipedia....ces_of_Thailand

Was there another new province created last year?

That is not the point. You need to think well beyond the immediate impacts of any government policy. Some of the increases of the minimum wages just happened,, so it will take at least 6 months or more before the extent of the job losses can be measured. In addition, it does not take into consideration the hiring that will not be done because of the minimum wage increase. In other words people at the lower end of the income scale will not be able to get jobs because companies will not be able to afford to hire them. This especially hurts the poor and the young, inexperienced people who would otherwise start at the bottom, get trained and work their way above the minimum wage level. The only people who benefit from the minimum wage increase in the short run are people who already have jobs, and the producers of products they buy, but the impacts go much further than that. We have not begun to see the impacts stemming from companies moving their operations to other countries. Those impacts will not be known for some time to come. Money for wages or anything else is a limited resource that has alternate uses. When costs increase and supply and demand for products do not change, the company simply has to survive on less money; and if it cannot, it goes bankrupt, and when a company goes bankrupt, everyone in the company loses jobs. The trouble is that most people only see the immediate impact of people getting more money today, but never realize the negative aspects of a minimum wage increase in the future. These impacts do not even begin to count the ripple effect on prices caused by many people having less purchasing power in the future, unless the economy expands.

If there is really a labor shortage, then moving companies to other countries should alleviate that situation unless the companies takes their workers with them, which they will not because the are going to places with lower cost labor. So we will have to wait and see if there really is a labor shortage and full employment or if it is only in certain industries. A real labor shortage would mean that companies are unable to produce enough to meet demand, and that has other impacts. But the politicians who did this will probably get the votes of everyone whose wages increased, and that is the name of the game, like it or not.

The minimum wages went up in ALL provinces on January (or was it delayed to April) 1 last year by up to 39%. So if the effect of 12 (or 9) months is only 3,500 job losses then I don't see it as being that bad. It doesn't report how many jobs have been created over the last year, just that 3,500 jobs have been lost "due to minimum wage increases".

I am a bit confused, I thought, Thailand has 76 provinces ;http://www.thaivisa....-for-wage-hike/, yet the reporter states, "The minimum daily wage was first hiked in April in seven industrialised provinces including Bangkok. The country's 70 other provinces also saw the minimum wage rise by about 40 per cent under the government policy."

Thailand has 76 provinces PLUS Bangkok, which has a special administrative area. http://en.wikipedia....ces_of_Thailand

Was there another new province created last year?

Yes.

Yes, very true but, the report states "the country's 70 other provinces". So is he saying that, 6 provinces, did not see the minimum wage rise by about 40 per cent under the government policy. There actually 50 districts within the BKK "metropolis". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Districts_of_Bangkok

Yes, very true but, the report states "the country's 70 other provinces". So is he saying that, 6 provinces, did not see the minimum wage rise by about 40 per cent under the government policy. There actually 50 districts within the BKK "metropolis". http://en.wikipedia....icts_of_Bangkok

Sometimes Bangkok is referred to as a province ... ie 77 provinces in Thailand.

Yes, very true but, the report states "the country's 70 other provinces". So is he saying that, 6 provinces, did not see the minimum wage rise by about 40 per cent under the government policy. There actually 50 districts within the BKK "metropolis". http://en.wikipedia....icts_of_Bangkok

Sometimes Bangkok is referred to as a province ... ie 77 provinces in Thailand.

Yep agreed, so the reporter states 70 provinces and Bangkok (1 province), which to me makes 71?

Yep agreed, so the reporter states 70 provinces and Bangkok (1 province), which to me makes 71?

The minimum daily wage was first hiked in April in seven industrialised provinces including Bangkok. The country's 70 other provinces also saw the minimum wage rise by about 40 per cent under the government policy.

7 (including Bangkok) + 70 = 77.

The minimum daily wage was first hiked in April in seven industrialised provinces including Bangkok. The country's 70 other provinces also saw the minimum wage rise by about 40 per cent under the government policy.

7 (including Bangkok) + 70 = 77.

Good, so we are both agreed, the reporter has stated 70 provinces! Which is what I was confused about.smile.png

How many of the 65 million population are children, students or the elderly? Do you seriously think that the whole Thai population is counted as the eligible workforce?

In the UK last year, Ford announced closures to two plants that would affect up to 2,000 jobs. The BBC seemed to think that was worthy of reporting and a union representative described it as "devasting news for UK manufacturing".

I'm sure the 3,500 people who are now out of work will be thrilled to know its just "a drop in the ocean".

Ford (just one company!) letting go 2,000 workers, will have a lot more effect than losing 3,500 jobs country wide.

Then why quote the figure in the first place?

Then why quote the figure in the first place?

Because in a country of 65 million, 3,500 people losing their jobs is a drop in the ocean.

From the OP. The ministry found 39 businesses that appeared to be on the verge of releasing their workers because of Europe's debt crisis and the wage hike. During the past six months, 3,159 people became jobless because of the financial crisis in Europe.

If those darn Euro people would get there stuff together no problem. Especially the Dutch,

The darkening outlook from the Dutch government’s Central Planning Bureau (CPB) suggests the economy will contract by 0.5 per cent in 2013. Earlier, the bureau had expected growth of 0.75 per cent.

This could set off a new round of budget cuts in a country that has already seen three bouts of austerity in three years, slashing government spending by €46bn – equivalent to more than 7 per cent of GDP.

http://www.ft.com/cm...l#axzz2HLUF3KDt

Maybe you should read some more info.

For the time being the dutch have still a very strong economy, like Germany and Finland.

Also, the European Commission has ordered all countries to bring down the national debt.

Also the 3% rule is adhered to in the Netherlands.

You are right if you think the going conservative lead government is doing too much too fast, but that is just a repeat of the so called Colijn rules of the 1920-1930 period.

But alas, the conservative party is only working for the very rich.

The middle classes and the poorer people can go to hell.

But, whatever the case, the problems do not come from the Netehrlands.

The problems come from the Euro!

This currency should never have been introduced within the original countries.

Have no fear, more problems for Europe will come from all the latin countries & Greece.

And that includes France and Belgium, that is the French speaking part.

• Like 1

The tip of the iceberg. This chicken has come home to roost. I believe that we will see a hugh increase in the number of unemployed over the next 3 months owing to this shoot yourself in the foot policy. The Government should set up an agency to track the industries that start to lay off workers and the reasons behind the layoff's and report this data with honesty and integrity. Already we are seeing blame hounds being developed such as the poor economic performance in Europe. What ever is brought to light it will surely not touch on the inane nature of this vote buying populist policy. It will have to be someone else's fault. Accountability in Thailand is neither valued, practiced, nor expected.

You obviously have little or no knowledge of economics or social engineering at work.

The tip of the iceberg. This chicken has come home to roost. I believe that we will see a hugh increase in the number of unemployed over the next 3 months owing to this shoot yourself in the foot policy. The Government should set up an agency to track the industries that start to lay off workers and the reasons behind the layoff's and report this data with honesty and integrity. Already we are seeing blame hounds being developed such as the poor economic performance in Europe. What ever is brought to light it will surely not touch on the inane nature of this vote buying populist policy. It will have to be someone else's fault. Accountability in Thailand is neither valued, practiced, nor expected.

You obviously have little or no knowledge of economics or social engineering at work.

I fail to see why the 'no knowledge'. Obviously my lack of knowledge as well.

So pray explain yourself wai.gif

You people are incredibly vindictive or something. There has been nothing to suggest by any economic indicator that The Thai economy is going anywhere but up. Nothing. Do you know what percent of the Thai workforce 3500 people are? Any economic indicator available says the Thai economy is going up, up, up. The chicken has come home to roost? Oh come on. That is just silly. What will the Thai rate of unemployment be in the next three months? The same as it is this month, realistically nothing.

You people are incredibly vindictive or something. There has been nothing to suggest by any economic indicator that The Thai economy is going anywhere but up. Nothing. Do you know what percent of the Thai workforce 3500 people are? Any economic indicator available says the Thai economy is going up, up, up. The chicken has come home to roost? Oh come on. That is just silly. What will the Thai rate of unemployment be in the next three months? The same as it is this month, realistically nothing.

When the AEC kicks in, why would you pay this kind of salary to someone who has very poor English skills when you would be able get someone at a cheaper rate with better English skills? Some of the young people in Cambodia and Vietnam are busting for the opportunity to improve their English.

Today I tried to book accommodation and the Thai staff obviously had minimal English so at first I was transferred between two or three people, none of whom could speak English very well. Eventually they decided to put me on hold and then cut me off. Then when I tried to telephone them back using several numbers they wouldn't answer my call on any of the numbers?

If I was the owner of the establishment I would be extremely unhappy

When the AEC kicks in, why would you pay this kind of salary to someone who has very poor English skills when you would be able get someone at a cheaper rate with better English skills? Some of the young people in Cambodia and Vietnam are busting for the opportunity to improve their English.

Today I tried to book accommodation and the Thai staff obviously had minimal English so at first I was transferred between two or three people, none of whom could speak English very well. Eventually they decided to put me on hold and then cut me off. Then when I tried to telephone them back using several numbers they wouldn't answer my call on any of the numbers?

If I was the owner of the establishment I would be extremely unhappy

What kind of salary?

Edited by metisdead
: 30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.