For The Birds !

samuijimmy

Great Egret. Always hard to get a white bird - especially if you use a Canon camera. Blows the whites out! And that is rather a nice pun. lol.

Egret...

A classic case of having a grey sky, which does not do much for the overall picture! .... At least the bird turned out well... I think so anyway! biggrin.png

2007%25252520Thailand%25252520Lake%25252

Have been trying to identify this bird that has showed up every afternoon for the last week. These photos are not very good, but you can see the size difference from a Myna bird. The body is a slate grey with a hint of blue. When he flies, he has a distinctive slow flap and looks almost hawk-like and the wings flash blue with a black stripe. We thought a monster Kingfisher had shown up until we noticed the short beak. His normal behavior is to roost high in a tree for quite a while. All help appreciated.

Sounds like an Indian Roller.

@Hanno

Shooting from a blind makes it a great deal easier. The birds are a few short meters away and this was at just 4.5 meters.

Gear used was a Canon 7D with 300mm lens.

Great work. I am going to be looking closely at the 7D2 when it arrives V the 6D. Can't afford the 5D3!

samuijimmy, if you go to Hala Bala you have a chance of seeing 6 species of Hornbills.

Going to have to look up Hala Bala! biggrin.png Thanks!

Here is a hawk (I think) ....on the same island!

DSCN5516.JPG

Ah just found it....thumbsup.gif on the no go list of places to go,sad.png

Although I have driven through the three southern provinces before.... hmmm! I like to live dangerously! whistling.gif

Here is a link!

http://www.thaibirding.com/locations/south/hb.htm

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

You have a White-bellied Sea Eagle there, great bird.

I never felt threatened in Hala Bala, here is a link to my trip report (Mods, is it OK to link to a private, non-commercial site?): http://hannostamm.com/Thailand_hala_bala_2005.htm

Thanks Hanno for that report. Wonder how it is security wise these days-probably the leeches are scarier.

I hear Malayan rail babbler is quite easy there.