For The Birds !

samuijimmy

Emerald Dove. Common, but usually only seen as a green flash disappearing down the path.

Thanks Jack and Hanno..... Where I saw this yesterday on Samui, was away from "built up" areas (only a couple of houses up in the hills) .... one of the owners said he sees them fairly often .... Never seen around my house, even though not that built up around me! ... or perhaps never got close enough to notice! thumbsup.gif

Emerald Dove. Common, but usually only seen as a green flash disappearing down the path.

Thanks Jack and Hanno..... Where I saw this yesterday on Samui, was away from "built up" areas (only a couple of houses up in the hills) .... one of the owners said he sees them fairly often .... Never seen around my house, even though not that built up around me! ... or perhaps never got close enough to notice! thumbsup.gif

They tend to be very discreet, quietly feeding on the ground. When spotted, the fly away low and fast. Learn the call and you will know if they are around your house.

Calls are here: http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Chalcophaps-indica

• Like 2

Blossom-headed Parakeets are in Thailand, but not very common. I have seen them in Vietnam and Cambodia but not yet in Thailand I think.

Quite a few around Singburi scattered over quite a large area.

Saw a small flock recently carrying nesting material.

More great white Egrets... but mine are flying ....wink.png

IMG_9208.JPG

And could be pretty much anythingbiggrin.png

You had another earlier in the same place (I think) as that Jimmy and the birds looked to have yellow feet so are probably little egrets.

Yes, see the dark feathered one some times around the islands occasionally .... but not often....that I have noticed...

The white ones flying ^ ...where down Thali Noi Lake, way in Songkhla .... these are the same I think, but cannot say for sure,???.... they pop out the the reeds so quickly and take off one can't always tell!!! facepalm.gif (same area)

The greater or lesser Egret ? I am not sure! blink.png I think the little guy is a Tern ?....

IMG_8681.JPG

I'll leave this to your better judgement! wai.giftongue.png

Edited by samuijimmy

The little one is a Stilt, so called for its long legs, mostly a winter visitor but they stay around all year in some places.

The big ones are Egrets, either Greater or Intermediate Egrets, not a lot of difference except a small difference in size and a marking on the face which I cant pick in your photo.

Keep the photos coming, I enjoy looking through all the topics.

• Like 1

Black-winged stilts and Great Egrets. Intermediate do not have suck a kinked neck, just a S-shaped neck. Also, bill is much shorter as well as the neck. Intermediate appear rounder-headed. Just my opinion:-)

• Like 1