Drivers License Renewal

Kiniyeow

Has anyone here renewed their Thai drivers license recently?

Going from the 1 year temp license to the permanent one, is the paperwork any differant or do I just need to show the current one and fill out the license paperwork to renew it?

Kini

I did mine several weeks ago, you will need the same paper work that you had for the 1year. Letter of residence from immigration, photos, copies of passport, visa, arrival card. They will make your copies in the back for 1 baht a page. Go up stairs and tell the girl what you want and she will give you the application form to fill out, get your copies go back to her and she will check everything and then give you a number and tell you which window to pay at. After paying you will be directed to the area in the back where thet issue you the licenses. O forgot also a medical form.

I did mine several weeks ago, you will need the same paper work that you had for the 1year. Letter of residence from immigration, photos, copies of passport, visa, arrival card. They will make your copies in the back for 1 baht a page. Go up stairs and tell the girl what you want and she will give you the application form to fill out, get your copies go back to her and she will check everything and then give you a number and tell you which window to pay at. After paying you will be directed to the area in the back where thet issue you the licenses. O forgot also a medical form.

did you have to do any tests again (like the one for colourblindness or depht perception)

Photos are not required.

Photos are not required.

That's right - nor are they required for the initial one. They do it for you in the special booth where they print the card.

Note: A certificate of residence is not needed if you have a work permit.

So, it's sounds like to get the renewal you need to do have all the paperwork that was required for the first one again...

Does the current license have to be current? I heard that they wouldn't let you reapply until the temp one is expired.

when i went to get my one year license was about to expire in nov 2011. the lady upstairs at the information booth said i needed to come in anytime within 60 days of the expiration date...

my thai wife and her son recently went in to get their licenses renewed.....both had expired,,,my wife's license had expired about 2 years ago.....she did not have to take any written tests, not sure about the eye exam...

best to check with the lady upstairs......she was very helpful and spoke very good english.....she gave us paperwork showing everything i needed to get my 5 year license...