Alleged Swedish Killer Of Kiwi Now On The Run: Bar Fight In Pattaya

webfact

My family's business interests in Thailand over 50 years have meant I see first hand often how "malleable","flexible" Thai authorities can be. Not that I'm complaining. It has helped immensely. However this tragic incident where a culprit walked free smells bad.

Edited by SparklingCascades
  • Like 1

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My family's business interests in Thailand over 50 years have meant I see first hand often how "malleable","flexible" Thai authorities can be. Not that I'm complaining. It has helped immensely. However this tragic incident where a culprit walked free smells bad.

No, why you should you complain? Corruption and the lack of Rule of Law is destroying this country, has held it back for decades, and ensured extreme injustice and often tragedy for millions of Thais -- but it has helped your family business.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

• Like 1

Is he actually on the run? Is anyone actually actively looking for him in Sweden? I think the headline is a bit misleading .. Sounds like he was handed his passport by the police, released and simply booked and caught a flight home... now he's in Sweden unless someone fights for extradition I sincerely doubt anyone is actively seeking him in Sweden as he's not been charged with anything there.

The jurisdiction of the Thai police ends in Thailand, so an active arrest warrant in Thailand when the Thai police know full well he's in Sweden is useless. If this isn't a blatant case of police/ court corruption in Thailand I don't know what is. Since when were murderers granted leave to travel home to spend Xmas with their family?

Sound post! Seems some cases just flitter away. The Lee Aldhouse extradition has proved that Thailand can pursue extradition when it wants to. The cases seem to be similar - dispute leads to violence in which farang stabs and kills another farang. Why is one who ran away pursued and extradited whilst the other appears to be let go? Hmmm - think most people could make an accurate guess.

Get arrested for murder, plenty of evidence it sounds like, and yet he gets bail. I imagine the BiB would have never let him have bail if he had killed the Kiwi's dog.giggle.gif

"Can I have bail?"

"Sure, you are only accused of murdering a Kiwi (BiB thinking this must be some kind of pet), we can set bail at, oh 10,000 should be enough."

"I only have 5,000 on me, will that be enough?"

"sure"

"Oh and can I have my passport back?"

"Why do you need your passport, your court date is in a couple weeks?"

"Uh, I have to go see me mum just in case I end up in jail."

"Oh that makes sense. Just be sure to come back for your court date."

"Yep, no problem, I'll mark it in my calander right now." (Swede to self: Avoid Thailand for the rest of your life.)

Edited by vijer

"I'm going to the Olympics....I'll come back I promise" - Thaksin Shinawatra

You set a precedent and that's what happens.

Yes, but this Swede is not running from a corrupt un -elected government. rolleyes.gif

You can't help yourself either can you? Your hero is running from a criminal conviction by a court. Please try to keep on topic even when the urge to defend your hero, albeit with inaccurate statements, is overwhelming.

Extradtion warrants could and should be issued for both these fugitives. One has bribed his way out the other controls the current puppet government. So warrants highly unlikely.

• Like 1

Is he actually on the run? Is anyone actually actively looking for him in Sweden? I think the headline is a bit misleading .. Sounds like he was handed his passport by the police, released and simply booked and caught a flight home... now he's in Sweden unless someone fights for extradition I sincerely doubt anyone is actively seeking him in Sweden as he's not been charged with anything there.

The jurisdiction of the Thai police ends in Thailand, so an active arrest warrant in Thailand when the Thai police know full well he's in Sweden is useless. If this isn't a blatant case of police/ court corruption in Thailand I don't know what is. Since when were murderers granted leave to travel home to spend Xmas with their family?

Sound post! Seems some cases just flitter away. The Lee Aldhouse extradition has proved that Thailand can pursue extradition when it wants to. The cases seem to be similar - dispute leads to violence in which farang stabs and kills another farang. Why is one who ran away pursued and extradited whilst the other appears to be let go? Hmmm - think most people could make an accurate guess.

I think the difference is that Alderhouse was extradicted and then formally charged with murder. This Swede was charged then given his passport and authority to flee.

sounds like your right, he'll get off scott free. what about Interpol? do they have any authority in a situation like this?

Now its probably down to the NZ government, who will have to squeal like a stuck pig for any justice.

squealing like a stuck pig is a dud strategy, time for some nice slices of bacon.

Alderhouse was extradited back to Thailand because he murdered a US citizen. I cannot prove it but I suspect the US put tremendous pressure to have justice prevail in that situation. The only way the Kiwi that died will get justice is if New Zealand starts putting the pressure on over the killing of one its citizens. It the rumor is true that he paid one million dollars and then skipped , that is truly nauseating. Given that large sum, then it would not have been bail, but rather a straight suitcase payoff to a ranking policeman...... Every week I always wonder how low the Thai police can go, and then they come up with a new way to lower the bar.......cheesy.gif

he probably wants to be convicted in absentia. then he will come back straight to jail in a limo.

Maybe he is having problems organising the retirement visa, 800K in the bank and proof of 40K per month income. The thai Embassy in Sweden may have him jumping through hoops.

I think the difference is that Alderhouse was extradicted and then formally charged with murder. This Swede was charged then given his passport and authority to flee.

Was he actually charged ?

Isn't it possible a payoff was made to the victims partner and charges were dropped - free to go

any civilised country a murder suspect is charged by the authorities no matter what anyone else wants to happen, we all know here in Thailand that finacial settlements can be enough to drop even a muder case if the family requests it and is satisfied

Was he actually charged ?

Isn't it possible a payoff was made to the victims partner and charges were dropped - free to go

any civilised country a murder suspect is charged by the authorities no matter what anyone else wants to happen, we all know here in Thailand that finacial settlements can be enough to drop even a muder case if the family requests it and is satisfied

Yes, you're right. I'd add .........& the BIB are 'satisfied'.

How about Mr ALdhouse ? He got sent back, didn't he? So if they find this Swede they can send him back too if Sweden agrees to it.

I would like to know what ,if anything, the Swedish ambasssador to Thailand is doing with this matter.

It is amazing how the Thais seem to intimidate the major foreign embassies in to fear and inaction. The foreign embassies seem to put up with lots of Thai incompetence, Thainess, bureaucracy and corruption, least of which is the lack of follow up on legal issues relating to foreign deaths and citizens.

New Zealanders should be marching in front of the New Zealand embassy calling for action. All other citizens should be picketing their embassies to insist that Thais follow up on unsolved cases and information disclosure. Foreign press should be invited to the foreign embassies to write stories and press editorially for justice and closure. Enough is enough of this Thai thing.

Let me know when. I'm up for it.

• Like 1

It is amazing how the Thais seem to intimidate the major foreign embassies in to fear and inaction. The foreign embassies seem to put up with lots of Thai incompetence, Thainess, bureaucracy and corruption, least of which is the lack of follow up on legal issues relating to foreign deaths and citizens.

New Zealanders should be marching in front of the New Zealand embassy calling for action. All other citizens should be picketing their embassies to insist that Thais follow up on unsolved cases and information disclosure. Foreign press should be invited to the foreign embassies to write stories and press editorially for justice and closure. Enough is enough of this Thai thing.

Noitom, from your number of posts it appears you've been here long enough to know how naive your statements are

Noitom, from your number of posts it appears you've been here long enough to know how naive your statements are

Naive perhaps, but he / she is right.

Generally it's the Thai police who have to detain wanted persons from European countries, North America and Australia who police and immigration in those countries seem unable to keep tabs on. The same people commenting on the alleged incompetence of Thai police seem also to marvel at how many people on the run for sex offences, murder or fraud, even those who were convicted, seem to freely exit through their own country's immigrations with no difficulty and take to cover in Thailand.

"Enough is enough of this Thai thing." Enough has gone well beyond enough with the one-sided version of the truth promoted here. Nothing ever seems to suit some foreign residents of this country and everything back in the countries they abandoned seems to be above reproach. And of course, these biased accusations are always based on the limited information made available in news stories or the xenophobic-fueled imaginations of the bar stool analysts.

Edited by Suradit69

Generally it's the Thai police who have to detain wanted persons from European countries, North America and Australia who police and immigration in those countries seem unable to keep tabs on. The same people commenting on the alleged incompetence of Thai police seem also to marvel at how many people on the run for sex offences, murder or fraud, even those who were convicted, seem to freely exit through their own country's immigrations with no difficulty and take to cover in Thailand.

"Enough is enough of this Thai thing." Enough has gone well beyond enough with the one-sided version of the truth promoted here. Nothing ever seems to suit some foreign residents of this country and everything back in the countries they abandoned seems to be above reproach. And of course, these biased accusations are always based on the limited information made available in news stories or the xenophobic-fueled imaginations of the bar stool analysts.

I know one thing for sure - in the west if I stabbed a person 3x times in the neck and killed them in a fit of rage in front many people in a bar and was arrested by the police shortly after I would not be a free man right now for any amount of money

People here are simply commenting on how they think things should be - should you be able to buy your way out of murdering someone ? I think the answer is quite clear

Unfortunately you can in Thailand

• Like 1

And the Julian Assange debarcle proves that the Swedes can pursue extradition when it suits them...and Assange hasn't even been charged with anything!...What a bloody joke and this guy cold bloodedly stabs a person to death from behind in full view in a Pattaya street and his own Government does absolutely nothing when he scampers back there looking for sympathy and protection...If anyone from the Swedish consul/embassy is reading this..YOU ARE JUST AS MUCH TO BLAME AS HE IS AND THE THAI AUTHORITIES..YOUR MORALS ARE LOWER THAN A SNAKES BALLS!..

• Like 2

The reality is more likely that the loss on one citizen's life in a bar fight overseas is not that important to any government in the world, not that they are intimidated by the Thai government. I'm not saying that it's right I'm just saying that it's probably the reality.
  • Like 1

I guess they can now close the file on this one. Farang kills farang why spend public money on a trail. I wouldn't be suprised if they paid for a 1st class ticket to sweden for him so they could write it off. What were his bail conditions, to disapear within 48 hours?

What are you trying to say, "farang" or a western life is cheap? This case happened in Thailand and yes, should be tried here. Sweden could make a demand that the defendant is not subject to the death penalty in order to allow him to be extradited. On the other hand, if Sweden is demanding wikileaks founder Julian Assange is extradited by England to Sweden for a "mere" sexual assault claim, then surely an extradition to another country for a murder committed by a Swede in another foreign country (Thailand) should be OK? Otherwise Sweden would not be playing by international rules. Normally western countries do things by the book, with no corruption or unreasonable negotiation being possible, so I would be VERY surprised if they didn't hand over this suspect, eventually at least. He is a murderer and needs to be dealt with - similarly the Thais need to prosecute foreigners for crimes committed against other foreigners on their soil just as well as they prosecute locals that end up murdering foreigners.

Well said my thoughts exactly but will it happen?

I doubt it afterall tit