Mixed Bag Of Reaction As Rule Lifted: Thai School Hairstyle

webfact

SCHOOL HAIRSTYLES

Mixed bag of reaction as rule lifted

THE NATION

30197693-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Schoolchildren are delighted to finally be free of the long-standing regulation that requires boys' hair to not exceed 5-centimetres in length and girls' hair to not go beyond the earlobe.

Education Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana announced on Wednesday that the strict limits on student's hair length, imposed after the 1975 coup, would be abolished and that students could wear their hair long provided it was kept tidy.

Wat Makutkasat School’s Mathayom 1 student Kiattisak Chu-in said he and his classmates were delighted that they would no longer have to get their hair closely cropped every month, adding that the length of students' hair did not relate to their academic achievements or behaviour.

Satri Wittaya School’s Mathayom 5 student Chonlada Sukjitmalee said she too was happy that the school no longer required all students to keep their hair short. "The end to this hair regulation is making me feel free and independent. I'll wear my hair long, but tie it up according to the new rule," she added.

However, others had mixed feelings about the change. Saying that his school would observe the new regulations, Suankularb Wittayalai School director Cherdsak Supasopon said the old hair limits were useful in keeping the students disciplined and focused on their studies.

In contrast, boys who undergo territorial defence training will have to keep their hair closely cropped as required by the military. Territorial Defence Unit chief Lt-General Wichit Sriprasert confirmed that the unit would not change its hairstyle rule, because all cadets had to keep their hair cropped like soldiers.

Parent Sophi Chawiwan, 41, said it was good if the hair-length limit was lifted in all schools because youngsters will no longer have to be embarrassed about their "student hairstyles". However, she said, she was concerned that some youngsters will use this as an excuse to break rules. "Though hairstyles are not related to academic achievement, some might bend the rule to follow Korean fashion, so we have to keep our kids in check because though the rules are flexible, they still need to be followed," she added.

Chiang Mai's Yupparat Wittayalai School parents and teacher's association president Thinnakorn Namboonjit said lower secondary schoolboys should still keep their hair closely cropped because it looks appropriate with a school uniform. Also, he said, following the old regulations kept children disciplined and taught them to respect rules, so they could grow up to become good citizens. He said that if the control on hair lengths was only seen as a violation of rights, then the authorities might as well let youngsters do everything freely and forget about discipline.

Wat Makutkasat School deputy director Alongkorn Niyakij said he believed the old regulation made it easier to identify students and hence protected them, especially schoolgirls, from sex-related crimes. As their hairstyles marked them out as minors, their attackers would think twice as they face more severe punishment. He also called on the ministry to hold a public hearing and listen to all sides before changing the rule. He added that schools should not just change long-standing rules, but make adjustments to cover the current rules on make-up, nail colour and dyed hair.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-11

when i used to live in phon phisai near nong khai we had a shop next to the local school

me and the mrs would sit outside at end of school time , just to watch and see how many

had big lumps of hair shaved out of the head by teachers so it would need propper cutting by the

parent when they got home . cheesy.gif as you can see theres not much to do in phon phisai sleepy.gif .

• Like 1

Do these so called "educators" really believe that a haircut contributes to making children " disciplined and taught them to respect rules, so they could grow up to become good citizens"?

Of course they do and it works, just look at all the honest and trustworthy citizens

Thailand produces. For a perfect example, you only have to look at Deputy PM

Chalerm's kids.

Edited by lensta
  • Like 2

Does this now mean there'll be hordes of pre-teen boys preening themselves endlessly in motorcar mirrors or restrooms ,just like their older brothers ???

Of course.....they'll also be able to carry their little compacts with mirrors....just like their sisters.

• Like 1

"Suankularb Wittayalai School director Cherdsak Supasopon said the old hair limits were useful in keeping the students disciplined and focused on their studies."

Yes...long hair did not get in front of the student's eyes. Thus not impairing ones vision while being disciplined to be focusing on the one smart student's test paper cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Barbers all over Thailand are now preparing to march on parliment to have this ruling overturned, failure to overturn this rule will see all barbers wearing the same coloured shirts, fighting in the streets, occupying an airport or two, erecting barbers villages, burning down a building or two and generally acting like muppets till they get their own way........ maybe!tongue.png

Personally I agree with a lot of the report.

It does instill a form of discipline and those students who follow the rules do not have the 'barbaric' school shaving.

I think certainly up to M3 (15) it is appropriate.

High school and higher then No ( they should also get to wear long trousers)

sent from my Q6

• Like 1

when i used to live in phon phisai near nong khai we had a shop next to the local school

me and the mrs would sit outside at end of school time , just to watch and see how many

had big lumps of hair shaved out of the head by teachers so it would need propper cutting by the

parent when they got home . cheesy.gif as you can see theres not much to do in phon phisai sleepy.gif .

This barbaric practice of teachers shaving lumps of hair off the boys heads is a common thing in the schools around where I live. My wifes 14 year old nephew was attacked in this way last year, then a couple of months later a five year (Yes 5 years old) nephew had the same done. In both cases the areas the hair was cut (more like shaved)was near the crown meant the the remainder of the hair had to be completely shaven off. No warnings were given the day before to tell them they had to have their hair cut, they were just taken to the front of the class so that the teacher could attack them in front of their classmates. In the Uk if a teacher did something like this, assault, they would end up in court and lose their job. Here it seems teachers like to attack their students and enjoy the power it gives them and the humilation they bring to the children supposedly in their care.

but they are not in the uk look at school children now in the uk at a lot school you think they where going out shopping saturday afternoon and have little manners or respect foule language and rude but going back to when i was at school some 40 years ago i remeber being canned for such little rhings as running in the corridor whats worse inflicting that pain or have your haircut yes we moved on the a schooling where dicepline in the uk is none excistent

Personally I agree with a lot of the report.

It does instill a form of discipline and those students who follow the rules do not have the 'barbaric' school shaving.

I think certainly up to M3 (15) it is appropriate.

High school and higher then No ( they should also get to wear long trousers)

sent from my Q6

In a normal country, children go to school to get educated. In Thailand, children go to school to be treated militeristically, to be like little soldiers for the entertainment of the teachers. As for shaving their heads, I entered my classroom and about half the boys were missing, it turned out that they were taken to the barbers to have their heads shaved, they all came back about an hour later. Three and four year kids, not much more than babies, have to wear uniforms similar to much older children. The head shaving didn't start until they started first grade. If the people in authority in Thailand would care less about haircuts and seventeen year old boys wearing shorts like the ex Pats, minus of course the big fat bellies, then maybe eventually the education will improve along with the peoples mentality.
  • Like 2

Especially the younger kids occasionally have (hair)lice even with short hair. Part is living circumstances, part climate. Allowing them to have their hair somewhat longer will not really help to combat this.

Long time ago when I was drafted in the Netherlands Army I could have long hair if I wanted. Instead I choose to have it short. Much easier after having crawled through the mud for a while, or having to quickly put on your gasmask when some jolly joker drops a gas grenade wink.png

They should worry more about brains and less about social statements.

Perhaps if they get rid of some of these rules they can concentrate on actual learning. On more than one occasion, we have had the English program exams delayed because the administration decided they had to do such things as check hair length, check to make sure finger nails are clipped (and if not the teacher would hold the whole class while clipping nails), making sure no ears were pierced, etc., etc..

• Like 1

In the Uk if a teacher did something like this, assault, they would end up in court and lose their job.

Not the direction things should be going, or you end up with a situation where teachers have ZERO authority like in the U.S., and apparently the U.K.

I'm all for uniforms and standardized haircuts, let them develop some good habits while they are young and impressionable; they'll have the rest of their lives to **** off if they so choose to do so.

Teachers don't need this kind of "authority" where the education system functions and is not exclusively aiming at disciplining children!

• Like 1

I think the hair styles and school uniform should stay, kids spend enough money on junk food and other crap. Once there is no uniform, then they will all be in the fashion race. And why do they have to feel embarrassed about dressing like students? Of course they could dress like their big sisters, working on beach road!

• Like 1

This barbaric practice of teachers shaving lumps of hair off the boys heads is a common thing in the schools around where I live. My wifes 14 year old nephew was attacked in this way last year, then a couple of months later a five year (Yes 5 years old) nephew had the same done. In both cases the areas the hair was cut (more like shaved)was near the crown meant the the remainder of the hair had to be completely shaven off. No warnings were given the day before to tell them they had to have their hair cut, they were just taken to the front of the class so that the teacher could attack them in front of their classmates. In the Uk if a teacher did something like this, assault, they would end up in court and lose their job. Here it seems teachers like to attack their students and enjoy the power it gives them and the humilation they bring to the children supposedly in their care.

but they are not in the uk look at school children now in the uk at a lot school you think they where going out shopping saturday afternoon and have little manners or respect foule language and rude but going back to when i was at school some 40 years ago i remeber being canned for such little rhings as running in the corridor whats worse inflicting that pain or have your haircut yes we moved on the a schooling where dicepline in the uk is none excistent

I guess you had long hair? :P

-mel.

The kids should just leave the clump of hair missing. Badge of honor. See how far the teacher will go, "how many clumps did they get you for?". Clump counting in the schoolyard. Of course the kids will start cutting clumps themselves just to be cool. Screw Korean fashion, this could be a new Thai craze.

Of course with the new rules, we lose this opportunity. Or do we?

Some nutcase did that to one of my kids once, Mom didn't like it.

• Like 1

They should worry more about brains and less about social statements.

Perhaps if they get rid of some of these rules they can concentrate on actual learning. On more than one occasion, we have had the English program exams delayed because the administration decided they had to do such things as check hair length, check to make sure finger nails are clipped (and if not the teacher would hold the whole class while clipping nails), making sure no ears were pierced, etc., etc..

And yet when they failed their test, we were encouraged to pass them, regardless of their score! I believe some did poorly because they lost half an hour getting the hair/uniform right.

Having said that, these kids DO get warnings, and they know exactly how long their hair should be. Some of them, usually the naughtiest, really push the envelope. So getting their hair shaved (usually badly) by a teacher is a case of som nahm naa to me.

Anyway, getting rid of this stupid rule is a good idea. Thai kids are still relatively well mannered, as any teacher who has taught in a UK/US/Australian school will tell you.