Take Patients To Hospital Immediately: Thai Expert

webfact

Take patients to hospital immediately: expert

Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- People with high-blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease should be taken to hospital immediately if they collapse, otherwise they could have a stroke, a health expert said yesterday.

He was referring to the case of a news photographer who suffered a stroke after collapsing at Parliament on Thursday. Medical staff present at the site chose not to use the ambulance that was on standby to transfer Nation Multimedia Group photographer Sakol Sandhiratne to hospital immediately after he collapsed. He ended up having to wait half an hour before being moved. The patient has a history of high blood pressure.

"A patient has a better chance of survival if he is taken to hospital immediately. The three hours after collapse is a very critical period," Dr Methee Wongsirisuwan, a neurosurgeon at Rajavithi Hospital, said.

"Patients with high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease face a higher risk of stroke.

"They should be taken to hospital immediately; don't waste time observing their primary symptoms," the doctor advised, adding that stroke patients can often suffer from facial palsy or paralysis.

Methee added that it was very difficult for medics to diagnose whether a patient will suffer a stroke after collapsing. "Sometimes people collapse because they have not had breakfast," he said, adding that the best thing to do is get the patient to hospital right away.

Dr Prachasawit Lebnark, acting secretary-general of the National Emergency Medical Service Institute, said medics cannot always properly evaluate a patient's condition because medical equipment is necessary for correct diagnosis.

"If the patient has trouble breathing, he should be taken to hospital immediately. Medics can safely observe the patient for a while if the breathing is not obstructed, because they might have collapsed due to low blood sugar," he explained.

After checking the patient's vital signs, medics should also ask the patient which hospital they are registered at.

Otherwise, the patient can be sent to a medical facility nearby, he said.

Dr Prachasawit said he would adjust emergency guidelines and ensure that patients are immediately taken to hospital if they collapse.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-12

Maybe this guy is just saying he is making changes in the guidelines in order to ensure a patient is not refused an available ambulance because he is not an MP. From what I read the ambulance staff wouldn't let the reporter use their ambulance because he "wasn't important" enough, hopefully these new guidelines will prevent this happening again. One can but dream……

I think one doesn't even need to be an expert to conclude this?

It seems in this country you are either an Expert (have common sense), or are a numbskullblink.png . Unfortunately, you can't teach common sense.

No, you can't teach common sense, look at the hugh majority of Thai road users, but, an expert at what? Is there actually an expert at anything in this country? Come to think of it there actually is, in the medical profession, look at all the sex changes that are carried out.

Wow.... take ill people to the hospital. So simple, so elegant.... amazed no one thought of it before! Perhaps they figure people usually only suffer one fatal incident in a lifetime, so it is not so urgent....

As a parallel, an Indian Ayurvedic solution is Mukta Vati. Obtainable online. Takes blood pressure down in a week from critical to stable and in a month to normal. No drugs and no side affects. I was 220/160 and now 145/75 so can tell you I was a stroke looking to happen. Needless to say Doctors will not suggest anything other than drugs but this is literally a life saver. If you need the links message me.

Some simple non-invasive tests for anyone with symptoms of a stroke in progress, get them to stick out their tongue, if it is off to one side - yep. Also get them to count backwards from say 50 - if they lose it anywhere around 45 or less - good chance they are in trouble. FYI.

The advise "to see a doctor if unwell" seems absurd since going to a doc when unwell is common sense. Then again looking at news items over the past month plus chatting with doctor friends working at public hospitals in Thailand its hard not to miss the increasing number of expats (farang) whose bodies are found in their homes - sometimes several days after their sudden passing. Often warning signs were ignored and then it was too late. Another common sight is farangs rushing to hospitals only once a condition is well-progressed. Just yesterday a "farang" arrived at Banglamung Public Hospital with well-progressed health complains. Arguably, there was little that could be done to reverse his condition. By day's end he had passed away - alone !! Tragedies which get reported in the news are 1/20th or less of avoidable situations if one goes by hospital stats.

The problem with common sense is that it isn't very common. Hence, the experts advise though silly probably comes on the back of a growing problem of dying farang's who should know better (and Thai's of course).

On a seperate note - One of the blogs mentions an ayurvedic treatment for High Blood Pressure. I am not going to debate the pro's and con's of the treatment suggested in one of the blogs here. Am simply conveying what people who use this have posted on a web link (as attached) http://homeremediesf...-blood-pressure

In short, many bloggers after taking MUKTA VATI for a few days experienced one or more of the following :

- Nasal congestion-

- Lethargy and/or tiredness.

- Knee joint pain

A qualified surgeon needs to advise on which medicines suit your body, lifestyle, other medication you are taking, etc..... Reading self-help material (+) asking questions is encouraged before you opt for a medicine - whether it be homeopathy, ayurvedic or modern day treatments.

Edited by marchawkes

Wow it takes a Thai doctor's advice to conclude that a patient has to be taken to the hospital immediately after he/she collapses! I am in utter amazement at this absolutely incredible finding from such a prominent source.

Wow it takes a Thai doctor's advice to conclude that a patient has to be taken to the hospital immediately after he/she collapses! I am in utter amazement at this absolutely incredible finding from such a prominent source.

One poster above was writing about one can't stick your tongue out straight when having a stroke. I followed this to another site and was reading about a woman who tripped while at a restaurant and had a stroke but the symptoms were not that severe so they didn't take her to the hospital and she died. I have had a couple of cardiac events that were no big deal in terms of pain but I went to the hospital and it may have saved my life. I know another fellow who did not want to go to the hospital because he was not in great pain and he died. I think this is what the doctor was getting at and I think it was good advice. What I find amazing is that so many dumb posters only look for the negatives whenever a Thai speaks or writes something technical. As a result of my reading this thread and the posts I learned about the tongue thing and for that I am thankful as it may save my life someday.biggrin.png

• Like 2

It is good sound advice and there is nothing wrong with emphasizing. Most of the lightweights here who are chiming in with sarcasms about stating the obvious would be the first ones to be saying, "I think he's ok. Just get back and let him have some air." wink.png

Firstly many of these ambulances are contracted by certain hospitals to deliver to them no matter how far.

The second problem and both happened to my wife she had to wait 4 hours for the doctor/ surgeon to arrive to save her hand after an accident.

Having first to attempt to get through the Bangkok traffic. No one gives way

Firstly many of these ambulances are contracted by certain hospitals to deliver to them no matter how far.

The second problem and both happened to my wife she had to wait 4 hours for the doctor/ surgeon to arrive to save her hand after an accident.

Having first to attempt to get through the Bangkok traffic. No one gives way

One of the reasons I live near Rayong. No traffic and my doctor threw a fit that his nurse kept me waiting for 2 minutes before calling him while she checked my vitals. It took less than 10 minutes to get me from the front desk of the hospital to the ICU completely hooked up and me watching a sonogram thing of my heart.

Took the wife to the hospital today, she has an eye infection came on over night.

Unfortunately there was no doctors on the premises so the nurse could only check her eye and tell her to wait till tomorrow.

While I was waiting and unamused by the lack of doctors, a poor chap came in who went over his handlebars on his m'bike and had serious wounds to his face arms and legs. What could the nurses do for him? Yes clean him up but he was battered, "OK Sir we will see you tomorrow". Could you imagine if thats what they did.

I really don't get the day off routine for doctors on a Sunday. Yes have a day off but the hospital should be manned 24/7 with a doctor. Do accidents not happen on a weekend in Thailand??

Off topic a wee bit.

The police CSI (haha) branch. I got robbed a few months back, went the cop shop. Oh well the forensics guys don't work Sunday, they will come sometime tomorrow or the next day, dont touch anything???? Burglars dont work weekends must be there thinking. If i knew the guy would turn up armed with a camera phone and take pics i wouldnt have bothered going to the cops. Oh well I chose to live here.

Lets hope if we are involved in accidents we are close to large manned hospitals.

Take it easy.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Took the wife to the hospital today, she has an eye infection came on over night.

Unfortunately there was no doctors on the premises so the nurse could only check her eye and tell her to wait till tomorrow.

While I was waiting and unamused by the lack of doctors, a poor chap came in who went over his handlebars on his m'bike and had serious wounds to his face arms and legs. What could the nurses do for him? Yes clean him up but he was battered, "OK Sir we will see you tomorrow". Could you imagine if thats what they did.

I really don't get the day off routine for doctors on a Sunday. Yes have a day off but the hospital should be manned 24/7 with a doctor. Do accidents not happen on a weekend in Thailand??

Off topic a wee bit.

The police CSI (haha) branch. I got robbed a few months back, went the cop shop. Oh well the forensics guys don't work Sunday, they will come sometime tomorrow or the next day, dont touch anything???? Burglars dont work weekends must be there thinking. If i knew the guy would turn up armed with a camera phone and take pics i wouldnt have bothered going to the cops. Oh well I chose to live here.

Lets hope if we are involved in accidents we are close to large manned hospitals.

Take it easy.

It is Thailand. Not that big a country. How far is the nearest city by ambulance?

Off topic a wee bit.

Take it easy.

It is Thailand. Not that big a country. How far is the nearest city by ambulance?

New to the area but I do believe the nearest big hospital is 60ish km away.

But this hospital was of decent size it wasnt a tiny place it had a few big buildings but as you said "It is Thailand".

Just hope I never have a problem too far away from a manned hospital.

Off topic a wee bit.

Take it easy.

New to the area but I do believe the nearest big hospital is 60ish km away.

But this hospital was of decent size it wasnt a tiny place it had a few big buildings but as you said "It is Thailand".

Just hope I never have a problem too far away from a manned hospital.

I live one minute away from a manned hospital and 4 clinics but 40 km from one of the Bangkok hospital chain that has cardiac care and a cardiac ambulance. So I would call the ambulance rather than rely on the smaller hospital or any of the clinics. It is not only distance from the hospital but distance from a well equipped ambulance as opposed to a truck with a stretcher.

post-73727-0-93007300-1358084503_thumb.j

• Like 1

Well your a lucky man indeed.

I suppose I live 1km away from a manned hospital Mon-Sat haha.

Yeah truck with stretcher, what nightmares are made of. As I say if I do get in a spot of bother I pray I am near a decent hospital ;-)