Importing From N. America Via Shell Company

tool84

Hi all,

Currently there is no FTA between Canada or USA and Thailand, so I'm wondering if creating a shell company in China or Singapore might be an option to avoid paying duties. Anyone know what kind of costs are associated with doing this strategy or that has experience doing this? Maybe someone knows of good companies that could help with this?

Thanks

If the goods should fall under the AFTA, Thai-Chinese or ASEAN-Chinese FTA's, they have to be made there. Google for Rules of Origin. Duty reduction or exemption does not apply for goods in transit.

Otherwise nobody would pay any import duties any more... ;)

Listen to Tom... you can not qualify for reduced import duty based upon the Port of Origin on a BL, it is based upon the Origin of where goods were manufactured.

In order to qualify, you would need to have a Certificate or Origin issued from the origin country, whichis issued by the local chamber of commerce confirming that the goods were manufactured in that country.

That's good to know, I've been looking in ASEAN countries for the product I'm interested and found a nice supplier in Singapore, so there should be no import duties. I've been trying to find some shipping prices online the cheapest I found for 100kg was with TNT around $200, but I'm pretty sure I could find better. Anyone has a reputable shipping company for Singapore to Bkk?

Thanks

That's good to know, I've been looking in ASEAN countries for the product I'm interested and found a nice supplier in Singapore, so there should be no import duties. I've been trying to find some shipping prices online the cheapest I found for 100kg was with TNT around $200, but I'm pretty sure I could find better. Anyone has a reputable shipping company for Singapore to Bkk?

Thanks

I am no businessman when it comes to exports or imports, but 30 Baht a kilo seems well over the top If no taxes on the goods.

We produce, process and in better times buy rubber and a buyer will make 1 or 2 Baht per kilo on a truck load to take to the south for sale. 600 or even 800 km away.

Shipping is even cheaper if you are near a port.

You don't say what or volume to want to ship, if it's small , postage type stuff or metric tons. Jim

Thanks

It's important where the goods are made, not where you buy them from. Ask the supplier whether he can provide a Certificate of Origin "Form D".

When you look at transportation prices, you have to be precise whether it is only the airfreight/seafreight, or includes the local charges in Singapore (pick-up, export clearance etc) and in Thailand (import clearance, delivery etc).

US$ 200 for 100.-kg door-to-door sounds cheap to me. If it's only the airfreight, it can me made cheaper.