Buffalo Is Sick - Please Send Tractor!

simon43

Just some 'fun' news. My wife's family live in Northern Isaan whilst we live in Phuket, (with her brother/wife/kids who are building some houses for me).

I'm always willing to help her parents out with reasonable requests that will help them with their farming etc.

I suddenly remembered that I had a 'Kobota' diesel mini-tractor back at my UK house. It cost about 14,000 pounds when I bought it about 10 years ago, but it just sits in the garden shed.

What about shipping it to Thailand and giving it to the parents? This seemed a great idea and would certainly help them with their farming. I checked re the Thai import tax/duty and found that this was much less than for a motor-vehicle (whew!!). The shipping charge from the UK to Thailand was also quite low.

So, in a few months, a shiny orange 'buffalo' will appear on the Isaan farm...:o

After that, there can be no more sick buffalo excuses!

Simon

Just some 'fun' news. My wife's family live in Northern Isaan whilst we live in Phuket, (with her brother/wife/kids who are building some houses for me).

I'm always willing to help her parents out with reasonable requests that will help them with their farming etc.

I suddenly remembered that I had a 'Kobota' diesel mini-tractor back at my UK house. It cost about 14,000 pounds when I bought it about 10 years ago, but it just sits in the garden shed.

What about shipping it to Thailand and giving it to the parents? This seemed a great idea and would certainly help them with their farming. I checked re the Thai import tax/duty and found that this was much less than for a motor-vehicle (whew!!). The shipping charge from the UK to Thailand was also quite low.

So, in a few months, a shiny orange 'buffalo' will appear on the Isaan farm...:o

Simon

Tractor sick: need money for parts. More expensive than buffalo. :D

Simon

The only problem i cans ee is that the tractor will not run on grass......

It might be more practical to sell the tractor in the UK and use the funds to buy a tractor in Thailand. On the plus side, it will save you time dealing with paperwork and the shipping company. On the negative side, you might not be able to buy exactly what you want, or the tractor may be cheaper to ship in... just weigh up the odds and you'll have your answer. Also, are there spares and a mechanic who knows his tractors?

The question is whether this tractor is what they need on the farm here, or would it end up being a status symbol to show off with?

Is it a large farm, are tractors commonly used in that area?

probably be used to take the village to the supermarket!!

If you paid 14,000 pounds for it 10 years ago then you should check out what you could sell it for there. You can buy a 28 hp Kubota tractor new here for about 320,000 baht. So, lets see...I don't know the exchange rate for pounds so I'll estimate at 50 baht per pound...that means a new Kubota in UK would be 700,000 baht...seems that since your Kubota would be in like new condition that you might make out better by selling it in the UK and buy a new one in Thailand....generally tractors hold their value fairly well if they are kept in good condition and have low hours of use.

Also, if their farm is small and a two wheel tractor is more appropriate then a two wheel would cost less than 60,000 new even for a deluxe model so the savings would be even bigger.

Edited by chownah

Normally the import duty for this, agricultural machinery, would be 5% on Cost and Freight. If you do it as a company (VAT registered) then the 7% would come on top of that. Yep way different then importing a Merc.

Anyway I would sell the one in the UK and get something more sparepart friendly over here.

So, in a few months, a shiny orange 'buffalo' will appear on the Isaan farm...:D

Simon

As the Thai National Union Convenor for the BHA ( buffalo herdsman association) I find your actions deplorable, and have arranged for pickets to be deployed immediately to all ports :o

The question is whether this tractor is what they need on the farm here, or would it end up being a status symbol to show off with?

Is it a large farm, are tractors commonly used in that area?

probably be used to take the village to the supermarket!!

:o

This is most likely . Also to be seen driving half a KPH down a major highway and probally in front of me :D

I checked to see if I could sell it in the UK. Even the company that originally sold it to me would only offer me 500 pounds (thanks guys!). It's in quite decent condition (hardly ever used because my UK wife/ex-wife always refused to get on it to mow the paddocks whenever I asked her :o

As to whether the family will actually use this tractor or use it as a status symbol - they have already told me their plans. They own about 20 rai of fields, so it can certainly be put to use there. But they also plan to rent it out to other villagers, thus generating an income.

I certainly would not consider shipping it to Thailand if the import duty were high/shipping costs were high, but everything looks quite reasonable. (Of course, what the import duty/tax that finally has to be paid, as opposed to the official tax, is anyone's guess...)

Now I just have to get it to the shipping office in West London. When is the best time to drive a mini-tractor on the M25???

Simon

As the Thai National Union Convenor for the BHA ( buffalo herdsman association) I find your actions deplorable, and have arranged for pickets to be deployed immediately to all ports :o

We, your brothers in the Asian Association of Working Livestock Facilitators, applaud your actions and offer our fraternal greetings in your struggle against the capitalist running dogs who seek to undermine the workers.

As the secretary general of the Association of Bar and Massage Parlour workers, I fully support the actions of the BHA, the disappearance of the common buffalo is seen by us as an assault on our association members, aimed to deprive them of an essential part of their income.

Now I just have to get it to the shipping office in West London. When is the best time to drive a mini-tractor on the M25???

Simon

From my recollections if you plan to go via the M25 by the time you arrive with your tractor at your destination it may well be a vintage model and therefore worth a lot more than when you started.

You then have the choice of selling it as a vintage model or driving back on the same route on the M25 by which time it could be a classic vintage and be worth even more.

Obviously there would be some explaining to the Thai family expecting a Farang status symbol but I’m sure they could be pacified with a big brand new shinny local tractor bought from the profits of selling the classic vintage and with cash left over.

:o:D

Well, I'll pop back to the UK in a couple of weeks to get a new visa. I plan on renting a big van and just driving the tractor into it :o

My UK wife is selling our house, so everything in the garden has to go. I just gave away a 1936 Daimler for a restoration project! The only thing left are 2,000 mature wine vines....

Simon