Heard Strange Thing At Market

Konini

At the CM gate market this morning, the ladies all seemed to say 'gow' or 'cow' instead of ka (apart from chicken lady who tries to get the price right in English and is very funny).

Local dialect? Many of them have always used 'sow' instead of 'ye cip', others seem surprised that if they say ye cip I say sow baht as I hand the money over then use sow with me all the time afterwards.

​Perhaps now they are so used to me they are reverting to the local dialect, but for 3 to do it this morning it seemed odd to me.

Sorry, for addressing you as bro...

Getting to know a little northern Thai always pleases the locals.. ba-ka-nut for pineapple always pleases them... bp-dtao for watermelon are a couple off the top of my head... or, where they have an r, substitute an h... 'hawn' instead of 'rawn' for hot.. or jiang-hai for chiang rai is a good one also.. naa-hak instead of naa rak for cute..

• Like 1

Sorry, for addressing you as bro...

Getting to know a little northern Thai always pleases the locals.. ba-ka-nut for pineapple always pleases them... bp-dtao for watermelon are a couple off the top of my head... or, where they have an r, substitute an h... 'hawn' instead of 'rawn' for hot.. or jiang-hai for chiang rai is a good one also.. naa-hak instead of naa rak for cute..

I may have been the original grumpy old woman (since I was 17 and still going) but I never take offence. I have to comment that it's rather strange seeing an apology on TV, although I do know the CM section is filled with people a lot nicer than other community forums or the general forum.

Thank you for the advice - the ladies always tell me the 'official' name for things, so it'll be nice to use some of the words you have given me.

Is it for definite that only women use 'Jaow'? I seem to remember it being used by some men, albeit much less frequently.

As a man you could use it when speaking to a young girl (same as 'kha'), or when you're as gay as a tree full of kittens.

Lot's of my male Thai friends say Jaow - rolleyes.gif - not sure they'd appreciate being likened to a tree full of kittens though, where did that one come from?

Is it for definite that only women use 'Jaow'? I seem to remember it being used by some men, albeit much less frequently.

As a man you could use it when speaking to a young girl (same as 'kha'), or when you're as gay as a tree full of kittens.

I've sought some further info on this from the wife and it seems men can say 'Jaow' to be polite when talking to a female. Can also be used - like you suggest - if they're trying to be ladylike (eg katoey or otherwise effeminate). So it seems we won't find it used between two 'butch/straight' guys.

Conversely, my wife will sometimes say 'krap' to my daughter's boyfriend, again to be polite.

Edited by 15Peter20