The Last Straw !

blueshark

Ok I have had just about as much of Thailand as I can take. Details as follows:

1. On my way to teach at Chiang Mai University,

2. Driving past the local government office on the way.

3. Pickup Truck shoots out from the Government Soi, gov plates, gov logo.

4. So fast nearly knocks me off my bike.

5. I beep my horn then drive on by.

6. XXXXXXX then tries to run me down and knocks me clean off my bike.

7. My heart has sank, I just can't believe someone could do that, utterly disgusting.

8. XXXX Thailand.

Edited by metisdead
: 3) Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane.
  • Like 1

You beep your horn after the incident?

Not only is that utterly pointless, it just serves to provoke the hot-headed idiot in the wrong.

Count yourself fortunate he didn't pull a gun on you.

Try learning the (unwritten) rules of the road here rather than relying upon some other set of standards irrelevant here.

Sorry about your ordeal and frustration.

You can chuck it to a one in sixty six million and just move on.

Some things do make you say a F''' to Thailand. I did 15 months ago, never had any regrets, I visit every 4 months and cant wait to get out.

I ll return when I am 70, three decades from now, hoping that lots of things must have changed.

• Like 1

OP , did you get the license plate number ? Go to the same local government office and lodge a complaint and DEMAND an apology from the driver.

Make sure you warn them and let them know you are connected with the Governor and high ranking so and so......

Then let us know how this ends so that the last straw won't be the last straw......

• Like 1

Some things do make you say a F''' to Thailand. I did 15 months ago, never had any regrets, I visit every 4 months and cant wait to get out.

I ll return when I am 70, three decades from now, hoping that lots of things must have changed.

nothing is going to change

I lived in CM in 1990 and even then never considered venturing onto a main road on a bicycle. If you must cycle better move to Luang Prabang, or northern Myanmar. No place for bicycles on Thai roads these days

His bike has a horn and he drives it, its not a bicycle.

I feel for the op, no matter how you look at it its criminal behavior. Not a good idea to sound your horn after the event though.

About an hour ago in rush hour Udon traffic, there was a late model Merc up my arse, flashing his lights and tooting his horn. He tried to pass on the inside but there's the usual nearside lane obstructions (that is why I wasn't in that lane) so he hogs my bumper, flashing and tooting. There's only about 75m of clear road until the string of cars in front so where the <deleted> is he trying to go? Since traffic is slow, I see some vehicles on my left that want to cross over in front of me to head the opposite way so I slow down and let them since everything in my lane is slowing down for the railroad crossing ahead. The Merc is so far up my exhaust he doesn't see this but assumes I have stopped just to piss him off. OK, OK, I wouldn't have normally let these other cars out, I only did it to annoy this guy behind me who was annoying me. After I pull away, he shoots through on the inside, horn blaring so he gets my first 'bird' of 2013. Then his drivers door partly opens and he reciprocates, still accelerating away from me and I reckon that just about sums up some of these dickheads, flash (but old) car but the power windows are f*cked and he's to cheap to get it sorted. At the railroad crossing, he nails his brakes so I roll to a stop behind him. It's all clear ahead but he cracks his door again and I see a half profile, screaming some sort of invective at me before closing his door and punching the gas... as far as the tailback of traffic about 100m ahead. Another <deleted>? moment on Thailands roads.

Now what has made the OP spit the dummy? Is it the fact that a Thai local government worker had absolutely no respect for a farang university teacher? Welcome to the club mate. The angry Merc driver may be a pooyai or even a senior cop on a hot date with his mia noi. Relax. You are a teacher of sorts and through your teaching and other experience, you must know by now that you are quite honestly streets ahead of the average Thai at so many levels, it's not worth getting all worked up about. You tooted your horn after the event, same as I birded this dickwad after the event. At the end of the day, I know who was wrong and who is better so I mostly try and ignore 'em although I do find it hard to keep the middle finger in check.

• Like 2

I lived in CM in 1990 and even then never considered venturing onto a main road on a bicycle. If you must cycle better move to Luang Prabang, or northern Myanmar. No place for bicycles on Thai roads these days

After I got home from the 'Wally in a Merc' incident, I parked the truck, got on my bike and cycled to the pub. It's LOADS easier to 'bird' with BOTH hands when 2-wheeling! I think it's called 'doing a Lance'.

Edited by NanLaew

nothing is going to change

I trust my seer, he says big time changes coming soon.

OP , did you get the license plate number ? Go to the same local government office and lodge a complaint and DEMAND an apology from the driver.

Make sure you warn them and let them know you are connected with the Governor and high ranking so and so......

Then let us know how this ends so that the last straw won't be the last straw......

What if it was the Governor in the car ?

Anger has subsided and is being replaced by revenge. Just kidding but man oh man i was pissed angry.

I know all the dangers in Thailand guns hot headed idiots etc etc...

Doesn't change the way I feel. Unfortunately for Thailand it is defiantly the last straw. Too much bull shit here. I read some where some one talking about Thailand being a 3rd world country no matter how many shopping malls you build the society will remain the same for a long time to come.

Thanks.

I cant bare it any more.

Anger has subsided and is being replaced by revenge. Just kidding but man oh man i was pissed angry.

Doesn't change the way I feel. Unfortunately for Thailand it is defiantly the last straw. Too much bull shit here. I read some where some one talking about Thailand being a 3rd world country no matter how many shopping malls you build the society will remain the same for a long time to come.

Thanks.

I cant bare it any more.

Your frustration's justified for sure but what happened is nothing that couldn't or doesn't happen regularly in any major cities around the world.

If you were in parts of LA or South London, you could've been shot at.

• Like 1

I think a car running you down would be considered a bit much anywhere. Some posters here probably spend their lives walking to their favourite barstool and then back again so don't really get to experience the joys of Thai traffic. That aside, it is getting more like that of late, the a*rsholes are not just dumb but aggressive as well and seem to resent teir stupidity being highlighted. However that is just the way it is, many foreigners just have to suck up all the crap handed out to them as the system is biased unless you have money and connections, being on a bike you obviously don't so are game on.

Thanks.

I cant bare it any more.

Try not to bare it , it's not good for ones reputation as a teacher.

Bear up , as it were.

• Like 2

No, no, bare it, bare it all, defiantly bare it!

Thai laws of the road, not as written but as implemented:

- Larger vehicle has right of way

- if roughly same size, more expensive one goes first.

- flashing lights doesn't mean "Please go ahead" but "GTF OUT OF MY WAY" or "My brakes are not working"

Thanks.

I cant bare it any more.

Thailand is Thailand and you wont change it.... Vote with your feet mate... I am going to Vietnam to work before Chinese New Year and 28 days on 28 off. I have enjoyed what time I worked here but not enough to settle.. I will live in Batam on my time off....

Nobody needs to get wound up over events in Thailand just take it or leave it

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app