Farm Photos

shaggy1969

cyclone: As much as they like fire I am surprised that the Thai's do not burn the sugar cane a week or so prior to harvest. Makes hand cutting fast/easy. plus you have a rat harvest when you set the field on fire.

I am not proposing this as good practice, but I have never seen this, yet.

cyclone: As much as they like fire I am surprised that the Thai's do not burn the sugar cane a week or so prior to harvest. Makes hand cutting fast/easy. plus you have a rat harvest when you set the field on fire.

I am not proposing this as good practice, but I have never seen this, yet.

When harvested for planting is not burned, otherwise is common practice.

2 Tractors and 7 men whre involved in the excavation.

clap2.gifclap2.gif

Wonderful post

I only can count six men.... off that Beer DAL !! biggrin.pngwink.png

Boy you guys up north getting decent sized tomatoes, They just don't do it here on Samui, and I never seen any in my travels in the south either.... It's got to be either because it is too hot at night or your day length in the north is long enough to make a difference... ???

I think Soidog2 needs a bit of fine netting to stop the birds pecking!

Great photos BTW!

2 Tractors and 7 men whre involved in the excavation.

clap2.gifclap2.gif

Wonderful post

I only can count six men.... off that Beer DAL !! biggrin.pngwink.png

Boy you guys up north getting decent sized tomatoes, They just don't do it here on Samui, and I never seen any in my travels in the south either.... It's got to be either because it is too hot at night or your day length in the north is long enough to make a difference... ???

I think Soidog2 needs a bit of fine netting to stop the birds pecking!

Great photos BTW!

Dont't get pecky now, Jim. biggrin.png

What about this baby. Accidentaly caught in the net. Good fish is around 150/kg. Do the math..

This fish is worth an entire 24tray of Singha cans.

Nice fish DAL.....

Looks to me like a Featherback fish.Very tasty.

But if you are thirsty then the tray of Singha are tasty also !!!!

What about this baby. Accidentaly caught in the net. Good fish is around 150/kg. Do the math..

This fish is worth an entire 24tray of Singha cans.

Nice fish DAL.....

Looks to me like a Featherback fish.Very tasty.

But if you are thirsty then the tray of Singha are tasty also !!!!

I didn't catch it. I am no expert but it could be a Featherback or a StinghaRay, i think

Picture%2520198.jpgPicture%2520199.jpgPicture%2520212.jpgPicture%2520211.jpgPicture%2520197.jpg

Thanks to shaggy1969 for posting tips.

Some re-posts from yesterday; birds eating my heirloom tomatoes.

oh no your photos went south....w00t.gif

.... did you change your settings in Picasa? It's one of the problems changing settings to Private, or limited or viewable to all... (I use the limited, usually)...

The other thing that may have caused this is if you moved the images within Picasa... It is a bit of a pain in the you know where! sad.pngwink.png

RBH, Could you help me in identifying this fish please.

It was caught by my Uncle in a nearby lake and caused quite a commotion in the village because no-one had seen this fish before.

My thinking is that it looks like what I would call a Common Carp ........ but I have been known to be wrong shock1.gif

1.jpg

You are right this time shaggy, it is a Common Carp (Cyprinus carpio) Thai: ปลาใน ( Pla Nai. Nai as in the meaning ''In'' ). Just a Common Carp with enhance colour and shorter head (female). Pity its roes though...

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 1

@ RBH

Yes it was a pity about the roes but I suppose that One man's loss is another man's gain.

The lake where the fish was caught has a really good Eco and I am sure that there are many more Carp in the lake.

Uncle is one of only a few that go fishing there because there are rumors of it being inhabited by crocodiles ( probably started by Uncle whistling.gif ).

He uses a gill net and regularly pulls out Pla Nin over the kilo mark,I am interested to see what other fish species are in the lake.

Great post, nice pictures cycloneJ. thumbsup.gif

thankyou; very labour-intensive, and I guess getting to drive the little roller-mobile is a major promotion from the poor bloke pulling the hand-roller.

I looked online it said that at 1pm, about when it took those pics, it was 35C but 'real-time feels like 43C'

Rather them than me in that heat/glare

The salt farm is well-inland - 9.5km in a straight line from the Gulf of Thailand, i don't understand the process the water must come from the river/estuary, but why so far from the sea? (anyone?)