Abhisit, Suthep To Sue Top D S I Officials Next Week

webfact

Democrat leader, deputy to sue top DSI officials next week

By English News

20130117085519.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 17 – Former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and his then deputy Suthep Thaugsuban will file lawsuits against the head and four top officials of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) for abusing their power and falsely imposing charges against them in connection with the 2010 political upheaval in Bangkok.

The two political heavy-weights discussed with the Democrat Party’s legal team, led by Thaworn Senneam, for over two hours on Wednesday to pinpoint charges against DSI director general Tarit Pengdith and four other DSI officials.

Mr Thaworn said the DSI officials unlawfully charged Mr Abhisit and Mr Suthep with initiating the murders of people during the political disorder when they, in fact, only carried out their duty under the emergency decree.

The Civil Court ruled twice that the Red Shirt rally was against the law and demonstrators carried arms which resulted in fatal shootings of state authorities and crisis in the nation, he said.

The Democrat lawyer said the then government was duty-bound to maintain peace and order in the country and authorised to order government officials to keep public order in accord with the emergency decree.

Mr Thaworn said Mr Tarit and the four other DSI officials put charges against Mr Abhisit and Mr Suthep as “ordinary civilians,” not as prime minister and deputy prime minister – their positions while on peace-keeping duty.

The DSI intentionally investigated the case instead of submitting it to the National Anti-Corruption Commission, an action which is a breach of Articles 200 and 157 of the Criminal Code, he said, adding that the DSI officials also violated Article 309 of the Criminal Code for confining the two former politicians for questioning which lasted more than 10 hours.

Mr Thaworn said he will file the lawsuit with the court next week but Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung will be excluded due to insufficient evidence. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-01-17

It is interesting that they are charging them as individuals, rather than as officials. This tells me that they want to avoid any precedent that might be set for investigating and charging any former PMs for crimes committed during their term!

Or to insulate the slippery Tarit from legalities.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

RELATED ARTICLE

2010 POLITICAL MAYHEM

Inconclusive inquest not affect murder charges against Abhisit : DSI

The Nation

30198098-01_big.JPG

File photo : Tharit

BANGKOK: -- The inconclusive inquest into the death of a man killed during the 2010 political unrest will not affect murder charges against the previous government, the chief of the Department of Special Investigation said Thursday.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa....s/#entry6028010

Mr Thaworn said Mr Tarit and the four other DSI officials put charges against Mr Abhisit and Mr Suthep as “ordinary civilians,” not as prime minister and deputy prime minister – their positions while on peace-keeping duty.

Surely, as "ordinary civilians", they had no authority to order the army to do anything, so anything the army did was of it's own accord.

• Like 1

The drama's continue . . . nice to see them biting back though. Complete waste of time

I don't know what the DSI thought they could achieve other than by doing the bidding of certain politicians to run 'interference' on behalf of the Government. It's pretty straight forward and did not even warrant commencement.

1. in fact, only carried out their duty under the emergency decree

2. Civil Court ruled twice that the Red Shirt rally was against the law and demonstrators carried arms

Enough said.

Exactly what I said from the beginning . . . the whole thing is a joke and it's good to see them biting back a little now.

• Like 1

Surely, as "ordinary civilians", they had no authority to order the army to do anything, so anything the army did was of it's own accord.

Inserting a sliver of logic into a farce doesn't work I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Abhisit et al should now start to really apply some pressure to these lackies, get after them while they still have their tails well and truly between their legs. Wonder how long before we hear from the fugitive mouthing off in their defence, "they were only doing their job, it had nothing to be with me - bla bla bla"

How do you sue an organisation for charging you with something?

Surely rather counter intuitive?

Read it again . . .

The DSI intentionally investigated the case instead of submitting it to the National Anti-Corruption Commission, an action which is a breach of Articles 200 and 157 of the Criminal Code, he said, adding that the DSI officials also violated Article 309 of the Criminal Code for confining the two former politicians for questioning which lasted more than 10 hours.

The DSI broke the law.

It beggars belief that you can sue a leader of a government, while the country is under emergency powers, this situation should not have got to the stage that it did, me thinks Abhisit was too kind and generous to that crowd of illiterate morons, try that trick in some of our more so called advanced societies and see how far you get,no, Abhisit you were to darn soft, betcha ya don't do that again , if there ever is a re-run, you have my support.bah.gif

• Like 1

I didn't realise they had charged them as civilians so you've made a good point. I've always wondered why the army went and murdered those people when Abhisit told them to if he was just a puppet of the military. I think this is an example of lack of forward thinking. An all too common occurrence from what I've seen. Just say something and hope nobody notices you've spoken rubbish.

• Like 1

How do you sue an organisation for charging you with something?

Surely rather counter intuitive?

Read it again . . .

The DSI broke the law.

That's not established yet. It's only the assertion of Abhisit's lawyer. I hope you don't believe everything that leaves the mouth of a lawyer....

In the mean time we're not really getting any further with trying to understand the March - May 2010 activities or who's responsible.

The only thing clear it that no UDD leader is responsible it seems. K. Tarit suggested so

"If further evidence pointed to Boonmee being shot by one of the "men in black" or "unknown armed fighters", the DSI would not charge the redshirt leaders because there was no evidence showing from whom they had received orders."