Lazada Buying Experience:

dddave

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Some of the sellers on Lazada are pricing TVs way under the prices offered in the shops. How are they able to do this? Should one assume that the TVs might be ex-display models or some other reason?

Ever seen how much it costs to keep a showroom open and staffed is a desirable location?

Replace all that expense with a warehouse and a 3rd party handling all sales, payments and customer relations, and you just don't need 60% margins anymore ;)

They would not accept my perfectly valid mastercard as every other retailer does, so I don't use them.

This is incorrect.

Mastercards are accepted on transactions where the seller gives the option of paying by card (some are only cash on delivery).

By using my perfectly valid Mastercard I received an extra 10% discount smile.png

Some of the sellers on Lazada are pricing TVs way under the prices offered in the shops. How are they able to do this? Should one assume that the TVs might be ex-display models or some other reason?

Ever seen how much it costs to keep a showroom open and staffed is a desirable location?

Replace all that expense with a warehouse and a 3rd party handling all sales, payments and customer relations, and you just don't need 60% margins anymore wink.png

Actually the one company I am looking at appears to have a shop in Bangkok.

BTW, do they jut deliver the box or remove and set up as default?

Edited by SheungWan

The TV is delivered in box - up to you to unpack and set up - have done two models in last month and both very easy (except Samsung now using larger screws for wall mounting than my older model so had to spend 20 baht extra at local hardware store). Other set was attaching two legs. Both automatically run through a startup/tuning process when turned on.

Samsung UA-32F5000 cost 8,631 baht on 15 December

LG 42LB582T Smart cost 15,291 baht on 7 November

FYI: Samsung was replacement for 4 years old model that had started to display double image. After replacement fixed the old unit with some Scotch tape over bad display contacts and used to replace an old non HD TCL model. New units are so much lighter - much easier to wall mount.

I think there are plenty of dodgy vendors using the lazada platform for their dubious way to relieve people off their money.

Same as on the Alibaba / Taobao page in China:

Amazon's system is basically the same, only that they are more stringent in monitoring the businesses using their platform.

conclusion:

Only buy from lazada if THEY are your actual business partner and if THEY are the ones selling the goods to you.

avoid small dealers as you most probably can not check their background.

Lazada itself is owned by rocket-internet, who a few months ago raised billions in what was Germany's biggest IPO of 2014.

Replace all that expense with a warehouse and a 3rd party handling all sales, payments and customer relations, and you just don't need 60% margins anymore wink.png

Actually the one company I am looking at appears to have a shop in Bangkok.

BTW, do they jut deliver the box or remove and set up as default?

Look them up on google streetview :P

Open the box, then screw on the stand and plug in the power and HDMI yourself - phone a friend if it's 65"+ though ;)

I think there are plenty of dodgy vendors using the lazada platform for their dubious way to relieve people off their money.

Amazon's system is basically the same, only that they are more stringent in monitoring the businesses using their platform.

conclusion:

Only buy from lazada if THEY are your actual business partner and if THEY are the ones selling the goods to you.

Lazada itself is owned by rocket-internet, who a few months ago raised billions in what was Germany's biggest IPO of 2014.

Other issue is that Lazada are basically dropshipping, as Amazon do with many items, even the ones where they are listed as vendor. What Lazada don't replicate though, is keep inventory up to date. This means there's loads of stuff listed that is not actually available. Coupled with their very slow and ante-active Customer Service, life can get very annoying.

Safest way is to only buy items that are available Cash on Delivery - usually it will arrive, and you have a chance to inspect. If it doesn't arrive (never happened to me with COD items) at least you're not out of pocket.

In terms of non COD items, the last order I made from Lazada that they didn't fulfil and told me was unavailable, which I mentioned a few posts back, I tracked down the actual shop and bought it direct from them 15% cheaper. Requires proper research though, since going direct with cash up front can be more dangerous.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

conclusion:

Other issue is that Lazada are basically dropshipping, as Amazon do with many items, even the ones where they are listed as vendor. What Lazada don't replicate though, is keep inventory up to date. This means there's loads of stuff listed that is not actually available. Coupled with their very slow and ante-active Customer Service, life can get very annoying.

Safest way is to only buy items that are available Cash on Delivery - usually it will arrive, and you have a chance to inspect. If it doesn't arrive (never happened to me with COD items) at least you're not out of pocket.

In terms of non COD items, the last order I made from Lazada that they didn't fulfil and told me was unavailable, which I mentioned a few posts back, I tracked down the actual shop and bought it direct from them 15% cheaper. Requires proper research though, since going direct with cash up front can be more dangerous.

Yep, buy only COD - so many times now when I have paid by PayPal or CC, my order takes > 1 week to arrive, or lately, get mysteriously canceled. Pay by COD and you never wait more than a couple of days.

BTW: I think you still owe me a beer :P

conclusion:

Yep, buy only COD - so many times now when I have paid by PayPal or CC, my order takes > 1 week to arrive, or lately, get mysteriously canceled. Pay by COD and you never wait more than a couple of days.

BTW: I think you still owe me a beer tongue.png

I only bought PayPal as I thought it speeds up things. And it always needed long and they always call instead of just bringing it like everyone else does.

Thanks for the information. In future I'll use COD.

conclusion:

I only bought PayPal as I thought it speeds up things. And it always needed long and they always call instead of just bringing it like everyone else does.

Looks like you might owe me a beer too :P

Ordered a pair of Raybans for my wife on the 9th of this month and they finally arrived today, the 19th. The tracking service was good at first with details appearing within hours of the order but about a week in the tracking came up blank. Even the previous details had disappeared. Eventually the wife called them but it took her several attempts throughout the day before she could get in contact.

It worked out in the end but first impressions were not good (this was my first purchase from Lazada).

Tracking has been poor this order, guess struggling with an xmas surge.

I had 3 or 4 distributors on 11 or so items. Kerry was as good as normal (only courier for past orders).

Cjdgs or something tracking page looks like it was hacked and completely blank with signs of malware.

Thaipost not showing my item yet.

And on lazadas end took about 3 working days for any conformation (emailed support and quick response) and getting delivered confirmations a few days after items arrive.

But that aside, all arriving and good service overall.

Looks like you might owe me a beer too tongue.png

Yes, if we ever meet, one beer on me! One? burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRRx8h9ZhP6

Tracking has been poor this order, guess struggling with an xmas surge.

I had 3 or 4 distributors on 11 or so items. Kerry was as good as normal (only courier for past orders).

Cjdgs or something tracking page looks like it was hacked and completely blank with signs of malware.

Thaipost not showing my item yet.

And on lazadas end took about 3 working days for any conformation (emailed support and quick response) and getting delivered confirmations a few days after items arrive.

But that aside, all arriving and good service overall.

another lazadas delivery problem....failed to deliver yesterday 4PM.....here we have an office so someone is at home. As well they didn't call.

I think in future I only go COD.

I just received my order a new drum for a brother printer.

Package was previously opened and the drum was clearly installed before (has slight scratch marks where it slides into the printer).

I contacted Lazada already, lets see how it plays out. Anyway I think if you want trouble free purchases pay a few hundred Baht more and buy from invadeit.

Just an update...

A friend ordered an LG Zink printer as a gift, paying by PayPal on 15/12 - it was sent from Lazada on 20/12, and according to Thai Post (yes, they sent it EMS) it'll probably/hopefully arrive on 22-23/12.

After enlightening me about to the device, I bought the exact same thing for my daughter on 19/12, paying by COD - it was sent the same day and it arrived yesterday (20/12).

Exact same product in both cases, and fulfilled by Lazada themselves, and delivering to the same postcode.

1 day vs. 7-8 days. Incredible. They'll never see my money in advance, that's for sure.

Edited by IMHO

Just an update...

A friend ordered an LG Zink printer as a gift, paying by PayPal on 15/12 - it was sent from Lazada on 20/12, and according to Thai Post (yes, they sent it EMS) it'll probably/hopefully arrive on 22-23/12.

After enlightening me about to the device, I bought the exact same thing for my daughter on 19/12, paying by COD - it was sent the same day and it arrived yesterday (20/12).

Exact same product in both cases, and fulfilled by Lazada themselves, and delivering to the same postcode.

1 day vs. 7-8 days. Incredible. They'll never see my money in advance, that's for sure.

Hey that's an interesting gift idea. Never heard of such a device.

I've also never ordered from Lazada before but I will order this immediately if there is a chance it will arrive by the 25th. Can I ask, was your order fulfilled by HRR?

Cheers

Just an update...

I've also never ordered from Lazada before but I will order this immediately if there is a chance it will arrive by the 25th. Can I ask, was your order fulfilled by HRR?

Cheers

I think I already mentioned it, but it was fulfilled by Lazada themselves.

Model number is: PD239, and it costs 3590 Baht. Search for 'Zink' and you find a pack of 30 films for 339 Baht.

Just an update...

Cheers

None of the ones on the Lazada site today are sold by Lazada. Two of them are sold as imported items so questionable warantees (which are explained on the site)

I wonder how it really works for an item "fulfilled by Lazada themselves" vs one of the vendors on their website.

I seriously doubt Lazada maintains much of a stock of anything. They probably have some vendors/wholesalers lined up who sell the item wholesale to Lazada order by order as they roll in.....or Lazada puts an order up for bid for fulfillment by the lowest vendor bid (like a 12 hour bid posting) and then the winning bidder must then deliver to a Lazada redistribution point where it is then sent out to the customer.

Edited by Pib

Just an update...

Cheers

None of the ones on the Lazada site today are sold by Lazada. Two of them are sold as imported items so questionable warantees (which are explained on the site)

Here are the ones fulfilled by Lazada... choose your color:

http://www.lazada.co.th/lg-pocket-photo-pd239-pink-521731.html

http://www.lazada.co.th/lg-pocket-photo-pd239-white-521730.html

http://www.lazada.co.th/lg-pocket-photo-pd239-yellow-521732.html

And here's the film fulfilled by Lazada:

http://www.lazada.co.th/lg-zink-paper-ps2203-30-153996.html

Just an update...

Cheers

I think I already mentioned it, but it was fulfilled by Lazada themselves.

Model number is: PD239, and it costs 3590 Baht. Search for 'Zink' and you find a pack of 30 films for 339 Baht.

OK cheers, I've ordered. Delivery apparently 2-4 days.

My initial search didn't bring up any fulfilled by Lazada. But searching with "PD239" did.

I wonder how it really works for an item "fulfilled by Lazada themselves" vs one of the vendors on their website.

I seriously doubt Lazada maintains much of a stock of anything. They probably have some vendors/wholesalers lined up who sell the item wholesale to Lazada order by order as they roll in.....or Lazada puts an order up for bid for fulfillment by the lowest vendor bid (like a 12 hour bid posting) and then the winning bidder must then deliver to a Lazada redistribution point where it is then sent out to the customer.

I think it's all pretty transparent. Remember, when they first started up is was all 100% fulfilled by Lazada - it's only over the past year or so they have added 3rd party vendors.

They're operating at very high efficiency for being a "start-up" in Asia and Thailand. They've been scoring funding big time, including a recent $250 million PE round (including investment by Tesco), and have raised almost half a billion to date. They are rushing in Vietnam now too, and the reason they are running fast and hitting on all cylinders is that the 800 lb. gorilla Amazon will be entering Vietnam soon too and that would scare the crap out of any e-commerce company. They are currently the largest e-commerce player in SE Asia.

Good company, good service. I've ordered tons of stuff from them, never disappointed.

Edited by keemapoot

All in all, reading everyone's comments here, it's hardly shaping up to be an Amazon-type shopping experience, or anything remotely close to it, in terms of customer service and delivery efficiency.

Seems to be the usual som nom na Thai attitude... not matter if it not come the day we promise, not matter if the new item you bought arrives as already used, not matter if we don't bother to answer the phone or return calls promptly, etc etc.

Disappointing.... but par for the course.

All in all, reading everyone's comments here, it's hardly shaping up to be an Amazon-type shopping experience, or anything remotely close to it, in terms of customer service and delivery efficiency.

Seems to be the usual som nom na Thai attitude... not matter if it not come the day we promise, not matter if the new item you bought arrives as already used, not matter if we don't bother to answer the phone or return calls promptly, etc etc.

Disappointing.... but par for the course.

How would you describe that type of attitude in German? :D

Note: Lazada is German :)