Thai Massage, Think I Cracked A Rib Today!

boink

Went to Wat Po school today for 90 min. Thai massage. I've been going there regularly since 2006. Well I was lying on my stomach and she was working on my back when it felt like something in my lower right rib cage popped and had sudden pain.

Of course they felt really bad and actually she was not doing anything unusual at all. But now it's sort of constant dull aching and I'm thinking maybe I cracked a rib.

Has this happened to anyone else?

This is most likely just a sprain of a costo-chondral joint. This is where the bone of the rib joins the cartilage part of it. Not serious but most annoying as it can be painful for a number of weeks. Most annoying when in bed and turning..

You can usually pinpoint the exact spot/rib joint. Some anti inflammatory drug may help initially.

Best to avoid pressure on the same area while the pain persists.

Sorry for you and sorry for the masseuse too - she must be feeling so guilty!

I have a long-term minor problem with that rib-to-spine connection with one rib only. I use the same masseuse all the time and she knows to avoid that specific spot. ;)

I thought I 'd cracked a rib too when I fell headlong into a dark ditch on Xmas eve.

Called into the local hospital on Boxing day (after all the festivities) and, after an x-ray they said it was a muscle problem and gave me loads of different pills and medication to take at odd times of day (including the statutory needle in the rear end).

As I was still in pain in 3 localised ribcage spots, front and back on the right side, around a month later, I called in today to Muengphet private hospital in Phetchabun.

The doc there explained that it was the muscle BETWEEN the ribs that was the localised source of the pain. It can take up to a month after you last feel any pain before it is no longer at risk of triggering it and coughing, sneezing, bending, pressure in the areas concerned, using your arm or even breathing(!) is enough to set it off again and resetting the 1-month free of pain clock!

No wonder it can last so long!

Hope this helps people understand the problem better, as I now do. I had, from the start, assumed that the searing pain was one or more broken ribs that apparently don't take too long to sort out.

Regards

R21

Many thanks for the link Sheryl.

Costochondritis - I do think that's what he meant I had, although, at the time I thought he just said it would cost a lot!

In my case it was caused by the impact on the upper right arm when I fell.

He's prescribed an anti-inflamatory plus a steroid, with a follow up in a week's time if the pain isn't any better.

Thanks again

R21

He's prescribed an anti-inflamatory plus a steroid, with a follow up in a week's time if the pain isn't any better.

Thanks again

R21

Hi Sheryl

The hospital rang up to check how I was, this lunchtime, and I was pleased to tell them that the medication appears completely successful. I have had not even the slightest twinge of a pain all night and thru' the day so far......

Long may it continue!

Regards

R21

Just a quick follow-up:

I went back to Wat Po School today and explained what happened. One of the senior massage therapists spent 2 hours very gently working around (not on) that area with oil. Anti-inlammatory has also helped (ie Advil).

I do want to clarify also that I've had some of the best Thai massage in my life at that school and in know way was I criticizing them or anything they did. As you can see, I feel comfortable enough to go back 4 days later, and I recommend them to anyone visiting Bangkok.

Why do you need massage at very regular intervals ?

For those who were not aware, there's a pronounced difference between Thai massage and thigh massage! ;-)

R21

Weeeeeeeeell, l can understand a ____ massage but the rest seems a bit of a nonsense to me. smile.png
  • Like 1

• 9 years later...

I actually think I got something similar.

I was face down and she put both hands on my midback around bottom of ribcage and she just out all her weight on it and thrust down violently as hard as she could. There was nothing controlled about it.

There was an audible noise. I felt cracks/adjustments, but not actual pain. But it did take me a bit to recover. It was quite an impact. I think I cursed and had to catch my breath.

Then, I went about my business. I didn't think I was injured. I just thought she tried out a chiropractic move in a haphazard way.

But now I occasionally feel some aches and pains from the side/back right of ribcage. Especially, when moving in particular ways, or at the gym.

I really dunno what she did to me or if it's even related.

Edited by 2009

I've had 2 ribs cracked by Thai massages over the years. Both caused by the gals kneeling on my back and forcing their kneecaps into me as part of their massage technique. The ribs are on opposite sides and both times there was an audible crack followed by pain. They took some weeks for the pain to subside and turning around in my sleep would wake me with the pain. These are most definitely cracked ribs as some years later while having a routine medical check at BPH, the cracks showed up in my xray. Now I just have foot massages, and head & shoulder massages.