Debt Blacklisting 'unconstitutional'

webfact

Debt blacklisting 'unconstitutional'

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The People's Rights and Liberty Protection Organisation has lodged a petition with the Ombudsman's Office against National Credit Bureau Co, accusing it of violating the constitutional rights of more than 20 million people placed on the firm's blacklist over debts owed to financial institutions.

The group, led by Veerasak Uppatham, wants the Ombudsman to rule on whether the 2002 Credit Information Business Act violates the Constitution by authorising the company to place people's credit ratings on a blacklist, preventing them from obtaining credit and loans from financial institutions.

The law might violate Article 43 of the Constitution, which guarantees freedom of doing business, Veerasak said.

The names of many people who fell into business difficulties after the 1997 financial crisis remain on National Credit Bureau Co's blacklist.

Many others whose businesses collapsed in the wake of the disastrous flooding in 2011 were put on the blacklist and would not be able to obtain any more credit to continue their business, he said.

A lot of people were put on the blacklist after falling behind on their credit-card payments, Veerasak said, adding that the list also includes more than 10 million farmers who could not repay their debts on time.

The credit-rating company's actions have forced millions of people to rely on informal financial sources or even illegal loan providers. Therefore, the credit bureau is hurting the economy, he said.

Chalermsak Chantim, secretary of the Ombudsman's Office, said he would process the appeal for the Ombudsman's consideration as soon as possible.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-19

"A lot of people were put on the blacklist after falling behind on their credit-card payments, Veerasak said, adding that the list also includes more than 10 million farmers who could not repay their debts on time."

I am not sure how true it is, but I was once told that the real reason for the credit cards going to the poor farmers is so they knew they would have issues in repaying them and then the connected wealthier people can go in and buy their land cheap when they need cash quick. Maybe paranoid people, I don't know but it has a bit of merit to it after seeing the famous rice scam scheme !!!! Anyway, time to turn off Thai news thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

With rare exceptions, I have found that repaying debts as agreed is "un-Thai".

Exactly! Thais don't repay any debt business or friendly. They never intended to when the "deal" was struck and they never do. I once had a high Thai management person tell me - "what the contract was supposed to mean was....."

Edited by noitom
  • Like 2

When my GF tells me the family wants to borrow some money, I say to her... 'You mean they want me to give them some money.' She gets kinna sheepish after that, but doesn't deny it.

No Thai I know has ever repaid a debt. 'Can I borrow 1000 baht. I will give back next week/month.' Yeah, right. Not gonna happen (even if they have money to repay).

• Like 1

When my GF tells me the family wants to borrow some money, I say to her... 'You mean they want me to give them some money.' She gets kinna sheepish after that, but doesn't deny it.

No Thai I know has ever repaid a debt. 'Can I borrow 1000 baht. I will give back next week/month.' Yeah, right. Not gonna happen (even if they have money to repay).

I expected the worst on the few occasions where a member of the family needed help but I have always been paid back in full and on time.

One loan I made was to an uncle who was having huge issues when his wife had a stroke and was paralysed. I lent him money on condition that he pay me back in labour as I needed my land cleared and planted. Worked out for both of us.

While I agree the temptation is strong to slam the principles of Thais who fail to pay back their loans, I do call attention to the lending institutions being greedy about giving away those loans for next to nothing and with rarely any validation on the information that is put on those applications. Thais are notorious for falsifying information on legal documents, as well and failing to investigate said information out of pure incompetence..

So, in my view, there is just as much fault with the lending institutions as it is with the ones who are not paying back; for whatever reason, legitimate or not.

The incongruity I see here is between consumption and income.

Like USA folks in my village want the latest consumer electrics,TVs ,Tablets and flatscreens.

Te prime source of debt is the shiny new 4x4 which few people in S Europe could afford.

This is amplified by the high price of vehicles and farmers pledging land/crops so their kids can have this stuff.

I see no likely change the self sufficiency economy is at total odds with TV pushing consumption.

I make do with old banger and only pleasure at start of the week as the poet proscribed Sic Transit ,Gloria Monday !

• Like 2

Hasn't the village micro lending initiative contributed a lot to this issue? The scheme’s outstanding loan portfolio totalled US$4.9 billion in 2011 e.g. Villagers are eligible by residency to take out a loan, typically limited to 20,000 baht ($656) without collateral. More info at http://www.economist.com/blogs/schumpeter/2013/01/microfinance-thailand

Hasn't the village micro lending initiative contributed a lot to this issue? The scheme’s outstanding loan portfolio totalled US$4.9 billion in 2011 e.g. Villagers are eligible by residency to take out a loan, typically limited to 20,000 baht ($656) without collateral. More info at http://www.economist...inance-thailand

Maybe, but there's a large difference beteen 'eligible' and 'mandatory'! ;)

-mel.

While I agree the temptation is strong to slam the principles of Thais who fail to pay back their loans, I do call attention to the lending institutions being greedy about giving away those loans for next to nothing and with rarely any validation on the information that is put on those applications. Thais are notorious for falsifying information on legal documents, as well and failing to investigate said information out of pure incompetence..

So, in my view, there is just as much fault with the lending institutions as it is with the ones who are not paying back; for whatever reason, legitimate or not.

Don't they call them low doc loans in the west?

NANI's ....no assets no income

which started the GFC I believe

Edited by Mudcrab

You know the wrong type of Thais if you really believe that nonsense.

Then it would seem that many of us "know the wrong type of Thais"

sent from my Q6

• Like 2

Exactly right

they borrow on the fact that the money they just got will pay back the other money lent

One big circle, & thats why their still working when 70 yr old

& one more aspect of this is that you as a farang would be last on the list since you have plenty of money

I see no problem as to black listing no different to western countries doing credit checks

We all know here in Thai they just keep swaping till they get

Then it would seem that many of us "know the wrong type of Thais"

Sure does.

Fortunately, many of us (including myself) know the "right type of Thais", and have no problem getting repaid in full, and on time.

But that sort of information isn't generally welcome by a lot of TV'ers, because it doesn't give them a chance to have whinge. They want to be able generalise about the Thais, and how bad/dishonest/feckless they all (yes, all 68 million of them) are. thumbsup.gif

Edited by jackspratt

I expected the worst on the few occasions where a member of the family needed help but I have always been paid back in full and on time.

One loan I made was to an uncle who was having huge issues when his wife had a stroke and was paralysed. I lent him money on condition that he pay me back in labour as I needed my land cleared and planted. Worked out for both of us.

"Your Land" You lucky bastardwink.png
  • Like 1

The sourness and bitterness is tangible...........

How sad.

The sourness and bitterness is tangible...........

How sad.

Psstttt....Chooka was making a joke, as the land being cleared actually belonged to the guy's wife.........

But back to topic. I am sure this thread will send shock waves throughout credit reporting agencies in America,

with the concept that reporting failure to make payments is somehow unconstitutional .whistling.gif

Side note: I must be moving in the wrong Thai circle of friends as well, as any Thai I ever loaned money to did not pay me back. Maybe I need to have more hiso friends? No wait, that does not make sense. Hiso friends would not ever need to borrow money from me. clap2.gif

Edited by EyesWideOpen