Don't Pay Immigration 500 Baht For Residence Certificate For Drivers License

As a Canadian with a valid Canadian drivers license I was able to obtain a Thai Drivers License for a car within 40 minutes without a test for a fee of 205 Baht this week in Kalasin. The license is valid for one year. Immigration may lead you to believe you need to pay a 500 Baht fee for the Residence Certificate to get a license.

Exactly what did you provide to obtain said licence?

Some form of address confirmation (Work Permit, immigration letter, embassy letter) is one of the usual requirements along with a medical certificate.

Exactly what did you provide to obtain said licence?

Some form of address confirmation (Work Permit, immigration letter, embassy letter) is one of the usual requirements along with a medical certificate.

maybe he used an agent??? Think we all know a few baht in the right direction saves a lot of hassles.

Having said that.... think I still needed the 30bt? medical cert and had to take the test.....TIT after all....if it worked goodonim!

I provided the medical certificate, copies Passport of Work Permit, current Canadian License, so I did not break any rules as such. Yet when I asked Immigration in Sakhon Nakhon they told me I had to pay 500 Baht for the Residence Certificate they said it was necessary to get the license. I think the G/f gave them a copy of her Tambien Baan for the address. The license does not contain the address. Photos are done on site.

The license does not contain the address.

Are you saying the Thai license or the Canadian license as the Thai license does have your address on the back. Also did you mention to immigration that you have a work permit and see if they still state a residence certificate is required?

In Jomtien/Pattaya, a residence certificate from immigration is 200 baht. You need an original for each licence (car and motorcycle), so it's 400 baht.

Edit: Removes incorrect statement about licence and address.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

So next time I will not pay Immigration 500bah. I will change my extension from retirement and then find a job and get a work permit and then use this to get my licence renewed. Thanks for the tip.

THe Land Transprt Department clearly state letter, certificate or work permit. Whatever rocks your boat.

My 5-year licences, obtained last October, do NOT have my address on the back.

They must have made a mistake then. Also, the text on the back of mine with my full address is very small so can be easily overlooked. Here is mine with address specifics removed though.

post-566-0-18390900-1358568782_thumb.jpg

My 5-year licences, obtained last October, do NOT have my address on the back.

They must have made a mistake then. Also, the text on the back of mine with my full address is very small so can be easily overlooked. Here is mine with address specifics removed though.

post-566-0-18390900-1358568782_thumb.jpg

Oops, my apologies. I simply saw "Thai writing" and my brain didn't register the fact a couple of numbers in that same slot you show is actually my building number. The rest is a blur to me because I cannot read Thai.

The license does not contain the address.

Are you saying the Thai license or the Canadian license as the Thai license does have your address on the back. Also did you mention to immigration that you have a work permit and see if they still state a residence certificate is required?

Sorry I had to put my glasses on the Thai license does have the address on it, so small I could not identify it a the address.

Yes immigration knows me well at Sakhon Nakhon, with Non B's and Work permits and extensions etc. They still tried to get 500 Baht from me, for a photocopy that they would endorse. But thats normal for them, the last time I was there on business and purchased a re-entry permit, they took the money but did not stamp it or give me a receipt, until I checked my passport before I left and asked them why?

Address verification is required, most common way is probably by residence certificate.

So unless other, cheaper means are available, the recommendation as made by the OP does not make much sense.

OP had a WP :)

Last time I wanted one, they told me I had to pay 500 Baht for the Residence Certificate done while I wait, they said if I came back next day was free..

9 years ago needed one from BKK, 300 baht and they would send it, no other option, 22 days later it arrived at my address, good job Nonthaburi now has there own Immigration Office.

Anything that is in Provence get the Residence Certificate from the Town Hall = Free, just need to wait your turn, as on there PC can be done in 2 mins, but can wait for a couple of hours if lots of people there.

Address verification is required, most common way is probably by residence certificate.

So unless other, cheaper means are available, the recommendation as made by the OP does not make much sense.

OP had a WP smile.png

Yes, I know and I read that. That's why I said 'unless other, cheaper means are available, the recommendation as made by the OP does not make much sense.'