Where To Get Laos Visa (In 2-3 Days)

Andreas84

can anyone recommend a travel agency in CM who can get me a tourist visa for Laos? As I will travel soon it should not take more than 2-3 days. What would typically be the total price? I understood that it is also an option to get a tourist visa in Laos after arrival at the airport. I believe this costs 1.500 baht. Any input regarding which option is preferable?

Different fees for a visa on arrival for different nationalities (I think most are 35USD) as said above you can check on-line. Make sure that you have a couple of passport sized photos and one extra dollar for "administration". If you forget your dollars then they will happily accept baht at 50 baht to the dollar !

I had trouble at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. There's a real bitch on the desk there. She leafed through my passport and noted I had gotten visas from Thai embassies and consulates in Indonesia and Malaysia. Without prompting, indeed without my saying anything, she said, "Anyone can get visas there!" in a very harsh and unfriendly manner while glaring at me like I was a criminal.. She then gave me a dirty look like it was my fault! I've never heard of a consular official in one country complaining in such a fashion about the same governments work at two other places.

There was one page left on my passport; it clearly said it was for visas and the Laos had used it to stamp their entry permit into it (taking up little space too). She told me my passport was full. When I pointed out that the Laos had used the last page and there was plenty of space, she said full of malice, "Thailand is not Laos!" She refused to discuss the matter further and refused to give me her name (she wore no badge). I asked to see her supervisor (who also wore no name badge; in fact, I saw him take it off before he met me) but she had a lengthy talk with him before he "saw" me and he did not even listen to what I said, instead calling security to have me taken away. His attitude was, "How dare you question one of my people."

I had to buy a ticket and fly back into Bangkok for the 30 days, and of course, the immigration people at the airport used the last page for their stamp, no questions asked, and no complaints!

Since then, I've used Penang. It's much better. Your hotel can arrange the visa for you within the same day if you get them your passport early in the morning. You just fill out the application form and give them 2 passport pics and R 140 (R 110 for the embassy; R 30 for the service)

By the way, if you think Laos is cheap think again; prices there have doubled in the last 3-4 years and there is noting to do but eat and drink at nighttime.

Edited by TheVicar

Personally I think "the bitch" as she was so ineloquently described, is very professional and efficient. I've dealt with her there (and got my visas) 3 times in the past with properly filled out paperwork in hand, plenty of room in my passport and no attitude whatsoever. She fires through the paperwork, hands you the necessary receipt and goes about dealing with the next applicant in line. Simple, cut and dried, get the job done. If a cop pulls you over for a speeding ticket back where you come from you can deal with it two ways - bitch about it and have a nasty and probably expensive experience; or be Joe nice guy, apologize for you error in judgement, and watch the fine drop like a stone. As they say, you can catch more flies with manure than you can with vinegar.

• Like 1