Still Life

fimgirl

The photo IMHO is nice and I don't find any problem with the subject like some "non expert" think...

+1 on the high ISO

So, should photos only be looked at and commented on by ''experts'' for an opinion ?

Your first comment - "And. ?"

One of the points, besides a members enjoyment of posting them, is to get some constructive feedback either positive or negative. Your statement does neither. Yes I know, you did supply your feedback later but seemed to miss the technical aspects of the photo, which are quite good, and focused on the subject too much.

• Like 1

The photo IMHO is nice and I don't find any problem with the subject like some "non expert" think...

+1 on the high ISO

So, should photos only be looked at and commented on by ''experts'' for an opinion ?

Your first comment - "And. ?"

One of the points, besides a members enjoyment of posting them, is to get some constructive feedback either positive or negative. Your statement does neither. Yes I know, you did supply your feedback later but seemed to miss the technical aspects of the photo, which are quite good, and focused on the subject too much.

Sorry if my ''And'' sounded a bit off but there was nothing in writing to go with the picy, hence my ''And'' as a newbie to photography forumm, but if that is the norm l will pay more attention.to how it works here. smile.png
  • Like 1

Hi V8,

I have been on this forum since it started (been asking for this one for one or two year and then we got it) so yes, it is a learning curve on here as I have found out over these many years.whistling.gif

I do understand the "And. ?" bit btw, thumbsup.gif (most folks blink.png myself included), and that could have been me asking the same question, but you beat me to it clap2.gif

I would have put it more like "so what is Still Life" photography coffee1.gif I have no clue at all sad.png

Please continue to contribute V8 as I have enjoined your very good posts on ThaiVisaDotCom forums.wai.gif

The Rebel in this camp. Win w00t.gif

Edited by Kan Win
  • Like 1

If the "And ?" is referring to the title then some info seems to be in order. To be honest, I have never looked into still life photography so this will be educational for me also. I had planned on doing light box work which is a form of still life photography. Just got to get around to building the light box. biggrin.png

Still life photography is the depiction of inanimate subject matter, most typically a small grouping of objects. Still life photography, more so than other types of photography, such as landscape or portraiture, gives the photographer more leeway in the arrangement of design elements within a composition.

Still life photography is a demanding art, one in which the photographers are expected to be able to form their work with a refined sense of lighting, coupled with compositional skills. The still life photographer makes pictures rather than takes them. Knowing where to look for propping and surfaces also is a required skill.

Source

• Like 1

Perhaps the easiest part of still life photography is the actual process of setting up and pressing the shutter. The part that we all struggle with from time to time is coming up with original ideas and the inspiration – both on the shooting front and once we’re back in the digital darkroom.

Almost everything has been shot before or in some way or another, so it can get a little frustrating when you feel you’re stealing an idea you’ve seen somewhere before. Hogwash!

We all borrow inspiration from pages of magazines, newspapers and television. And quite right too! Take a look at these still life photography ideas and commit to memory some of the best creative ideas and simple rules of photo composition that should be observed while shooting fine art.

10 amazing still life photography ideas you should try right now

• Like 1

Thank you very much Tywais. thumbsup.gif

My pleasure. As I mentioned, it is something new to me so need to read up on it.

@transam - my apologies for coming across a bit 'gruff', sometimes I take things for granted in here. So transam, grab your camera and start snapping. Still life, dead life, wild life I'm sure there is a photo topic running that you can fit it into. Perhaps leave the car photos to the motoring forum though. biggrin.png On the other hand, perhaps not a bad photo subject. wink.png

• Like 1

Fimgirl......thank you for a breath of fresh air. I am just a novice and have been inspired by many of our expert members here.....but you have "gone outside the box" and I love it.

Please continue to show us your wonderful talent.

Cheers.

Thanks for your kind comments.

The lighting on the first shot was the kitchen indoor fluorescent light and colour corrected in software.

The Guava fruit was a beam of available outdoor light shining through a broken shutter pane. I did nothing as the fruit just happened to be there and the shot caught my eye.

@fimgirl - remarkable shots. What are you doing with lighting? Wonder if putting a little coat of oil on it would enhance it. Read about that in a photo magazine on product photos. smile.png

Water spray in a pressurized can also suffices.. According to my photographer friend..

i find Transam's, "And. ?" combined with the thread title & picture a kind of ironic unwitting mini work of art in itself.. can envision it scrawled over a similar image hanging in the Tate Modern. I bet if Andy Warhol, Tracey Emin or some other angry art guru did it, would be worth millions!

@fimgirl.. love the guava shot, quite incredible actually.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi V8,

I have been on this forum since it started (been asking for this one for one or two year and then we got it) so yes, it is a learning curve on here as I have found out over these many years.whistling.gif

I do understand the "And. ?" bit btw, thumbsup.gif (most folks blink.png myself included), and that could have been me asking the same question, but you beat me to it clap2.gif

I would have put it more like "so what is Still Life" photography coffee1.gif I have no clue at all sad.png

Please continue to contribute V8 as I have enjoined your very good posts on ThaiVisaDotCom forums.wai.gif

The Rebel in this camp. Win w00t.gif

it is hardly a new term.

As for the first shot, it reminded me of this, and when i finally found the image it was on wiki in the definition of still life.

if i had more time and the inclination, it would be very cool to spend time recreating some of the more well known still life paintings with a lens rather than a brush. I am sure it has been attempted.

1280px-Giovanna_Garzoni_(Italian_-_Still_Life_with_Bowl_of_Citrons_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

• Like 1

perfect mate.

your images are always quite good, but generally flat. this one has color. you should fingd a copy of lightroom and start playing a bit more with colour

Thanks for the feed back CP... yeah, I should get more going with LR, but can only sit at the computer so long before my eyes go.... blink.png .... or my mind~~~biggrin.png

What I do find is that some images are flatter, after uploading to Picasa... than after the adjustment....on the screen,....

Also too, lately I have been trying to use different camera setting more, rather than Auto mode.... so that's probably why it's better definition....thumbsup.gif