Air Con Unit Blows Not Cool Enough

infinity11

Small room, big enough California brand unit, cleaned from time to time, freon pressure always around 70 or more, never been re-charged, a bit cool at best, never cold air blowing, regardless of fan speed or thermostat setting.

What if anything can be done to provide tip top performance?

My ac was blowing warmer and warmer. I had to keep lowering the temperature for the cooling to kick in. Eventually I got the repair guys in. From what I could see he replaced a large condenser(capacitor), cleaned the unit, pumped the gas up and bitterly complained that I should change the whole unit out.

Anyway 2 months down the road the unit is still working perfectly. I reckon the condenser was the critical component, but who really knows. Less than 1000 baht to repair so I am happy..

My ac was blowing warmer and warmer. I had to keep lowering the temperature for the cooling to kick in. Eventually I got the repair guys in. From what I could see he replaced a large condenser(capacitor), cleaned the unit, pumped the gas up and bitterly complained that I should change the whole unit out.

Anyway 2 months down the road the unit is still working perfectly. I reckon the condenser was the critical component, but who really knows. Less than 1000 baht to repair so I am happy..

Do they speak English and Thai?

Can I have their number?

Are they competent and trust worthy?

If the freon pressures are always around 70psi as mentioned sounds like possibly too much freon has leaked out, maybe the compressor pump just ain't working, or maybe your pressure check was only on the low side and the freon level may be fine. The low side pressure should be something below 100psi and the high side pressure in the 200-300psi ballpark. Link

Edited by Pib

If the freon pressures are always around 70psi as mentioned sounds like possibly too much freon has leaked out, maybe the compressor pump just ain't working, or maybe your pressure check was only on the low side and the freon level may be fine. The low side pressure should be something below 100psi and the high side pressure in the 200-300psi ballpark. Link

That web site is a useful read ... thanks. However my air con units only have one place to measure the pressure. The system needs to be running for at least ten minutes before a pressure check is carried out. Then just add liquid until you get the required pressure.

You can acid clean the unit, but be careful and follow the instruction on the bottle and make sure that you flush well. I did mine after they had been in use for five years, some were really dirty but came up gleaming. If you don't know what you are doing don't!!