Responding To Thais In Retail Who Diss You In Thai To A Coworker Right In Front Of You

Jingthing

This topic is about how to respond to Thai sales people who make stupid jokes about farang customers.

Any further flames, bickering, etc. will result in time outs. We are also not interested in learning who started.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give you an example, i was buying a vacuum cleaner and saw one in home pro but did not know where the rest were so i asked a sales clerck if there were more like this one (meaning vacuum cleaners). They got pissed off that i selected an other more expensive model from an other brand, said something why did the guy ask for this and not buy the one i recommend i don't make money on this one. I told them i can my my own selection and i don't care where they get the commission from.

I won't let them force something on me that i don't like.

Well, this is really an example of jumping in with a comment when it was not at all necessary.

The Salesmans' was obviously not talking to (or even about) you - he was talking to his co-worker, simply complaining he would not get Commission on the item you decided to buy.

There was absolutely no need for you to get involved in the conversation.

Patrick

I give you an example, i was buying a vacuum cleaner and saw one in home pro but did not know where the rest were so i asked a sales clerck if there were more like this one (meaning vacuum cleaners). They got pissed off that i selected an other more expensive model from an other brand, said something why did the guy ask for this and not buy the one i recommend i don't make money on this one. I told them i can my my own selection and i don't care where they get the commission from.

Well, this is really an example of jumping in with a comment when it was not at all necessary.

The Salesmans' was obviously not talking to (or even about) you - he was talking to his co-worker, simply complaining he would not get Commission on the item you decided to buy.

Patrick

Strange that i did not see you there, but good to know you knew what happened. You have no idea how it was said, or how i was pushed and how the guy behaved when i bought an other brand.

Anyway i would not put up with that kind of behavior back home and I wont put up with it here. Advice is one thing, but advising only with profit in mind is an other thing.

My Thai is functional but I can usually get my meaning across. I have asked a rude Thai why they are not polite, some times they clam up, some times they become hostile. I try to view it as: "Ah, now I know the real person" and figure that I'll take my business else where.

On the Darkside I find the locals to be more polite; in my neighbor hood, some of the food vendors can't do enough for me and seem to enjoy having the token farang at their business. When I cross Sukumvitt, I sometimes encounter a few surly Thais that answer my Thai in english, as a way to show me how smart they are. So I adopt their manner and speak to them as I would another english speaker and lose them pretty quickly :)

Not a rude incident, but a couple of years back, my buddy and I were renting motorbikes at Kanchanaburi. A bar girl checke us out and said in Thai to the owner "Auntie, how about getting me a farang like these guys." I answered her in Thai "Oh, I'm so happy you like me, so you are my girl friend now?" The rental lady burst out laughing and the brassy girl turned beet red and hung her head down and walked away.

Priceless :)

• Like 2

I have noticed that too. In general a BIG difference in politeness level the further you get from the concentrated tourist areas. You don't even need to go Darkside to see that. This is understandable but it doesn't make dealing with super surly service people any more pleasant.

I have noticed that too. In general a BIG difference in politeness level the further you get from the concentrated tourist areas. You don't even need to go Darkside to see that. This is understandable but it doesn't make dealing with super surly service people any more pleasant.

I agree i noticed the Thais in Pattaya not being as nice as those around here (no tourist area). But even here you get bad ones biggrin.png

Patrick

Strange that i did not see you there, but good to know you knew what happened. You have no idea how it was said, or how i was pushed and how the guy behaved when i bought an other brand.

Anyway i would not put up with that kind of behavior back home and I wont put up with it here. Advice is one thing, but advising only with profit in mind is an other thing.

I based my comments on the content of your Post, only that.

Of course if you were assaulted, physically abused, you have every right to complain - however none of that "detail" was included in your Post therefore you left readers of this Thread - well, me at least - seeing you as a combative individual looking to find fault in comments which were not directed at you.

By the way, if you were in fact assaulted you should have taken the matter up with the Store Management immediately - I certainly would, and I definitely would not have contented myself with talking to my assailant in any language, much less Cod Thai

Patrick

Patrick

I based my comments on the content of your Post, only that.

Of course if you were assaulted, physically abused, you have every right to complain - however none of that "detail" was included in your Post therefore you left readers of this Thread - well, me at least - seeing you as a combative individual looking to find fault in comments which were not directed at you.

By the way, if you were in fact assaulted you should have taken the matter up with the Store Management immediately - I certainly would, and I definitely would not have contented myself with talking to my assailant in any language, much less Cod Thai

Patrick

To push someone is also used as in pushing to buy a certain product. I am far from combative but i just don't like verbal abuse. When someone is making comments about you you got a right to say something about that. Anyway its all about how something is said, and i know enough Thai to know what is acceptable and what is not. I avoid fights but i don't avoid verbal confrontation if i feel its justified.

If the guy had said too bad he did not buy this product because i got commission, i would have let it be (though i find it bad to advise something based on commission only). But the way it was said and what was added was not good.

Anyway some people left their balls at immigration others don't. I certainly wont let people insult me or talk bad about me behind my back because they think they can. I react here in much the same way as i would react back home when someone does me injustice. I am a bit less confrontational here even as i must be really sure about what was said. But if its real clear im not going to act like it did not happen.

Despite all of the TIT posts, I don't see why we should put up with obvious disrespect from people from whom we want to buy something.

Because most of us speak Thai very poorly and are reacting to imaginary "insults".

Sure you should only reply to real insults and must be really sure its an insult. That is why more often then not i won't reply or ignore it. But there are times it just over the top.

Patrick

Right, when i worked at radio shack some asian came in and instead of buying a computer he bought a calculator.

I said to my co worker (not the asian) "stupid cheap oriental, what a crap commission"

Can you believe the jerk got offended and said screw you? There was no need for him to get involved in the conversation and his comment was unnecessary, right?

In case you haven't noticed Im sarcastically pointing out how stupid your post is

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Seems all rather pointless, if you know you can avoid hassle and being treated like a tourist by speaking even rudimentary Thai then why complain when you get hassle and get treated like a tourist when you choose not to speak Thai?

So you're saying that being made fun of in your presence by people who assume you don't understand what's being said is being treated like a tourist? Remind me never to visit where you're from.

I come from a city that has tons of tourists and I would never do that even if I had reason to believe that they didn't understand what I said. It's not polite and it's just not right.

Thank you I feel this way too, and it happens quite a bit.

I just can't find Thais any better than anyone else, as much as I'm told I should.

Wonder if the OP is male or female, And is being male in Thailand- for expats I mean- an extreme advantage to avoid this kind of rudeness?

Edited by MacChine

Patrick

Right, when i worked at radio shack some asian came in and instead of buying a computer he bought a calculator.

I said to my co worker (not the asian) "stupid cheap oriental, what a crap commission"

Can you believe the jerk got offended and said screw you? There was no need for him to get involved in the conversation and his comment was unnecessary, right?

In case you haven't noticed Im sarcastically pointing out how stupid your post is

What a strange Post!

I see absolutely no connection between your (I assume) imagined conversation and what the Poster told us actually happened!

Patrick

• Like 1

Patrick

What a strange Post!

I see absolutely no connection between your (I assume) imagined conversation and what the Poster told us actually happened!

Patrick

Actually the connection is real as it was a similar experience, not as profound as this one but certainly close. You are someone who seems to let people walk all over you. Not everyone does that and i won't get into real fights over something like this. I will also not respond if i am not real sure about something (so i let go of a lot of stuff). Also when i do confront it wont be too harsh.

How do you respond to lies being told about a product to make a sale ?

Actually the connection is real as it was a similar experience, not as profound as this one but certainly close. You are someone who seems to let people walk all over you. Not everyone does that and i won't get into real fights over something like this. I will also not respond if i am not real sure about something (so i let go of a lot of stuff). Also when i do confront it wont be too harsh.

(Your recollection of the incident adds further detail with every Post - and interestingly seems to immediately incorporate suggestions made by a previous Poster.)

We are getting off-topic but basically a Salesman is there ........ to SELL. Not to tell lies about a Product of course but to attempt to influence a potential Buyer by highlighting features of one Brand against the lack of those features in another (for example).

That's his job.

I have lost count of the number of Posts on this Forum complaining :

1) The Salesman in ***** Store completely ignored me and I really wanted to buy.

and others

2) The Salesman in ***** Store followed me all over the place recommending various Products when all I wanted was to be left alone to decide by myself.

Seems the poor chaps cannot win with the Farang in Thailand!

Patrick

Am well used to explaining Western humuor to Thais, didnt think id have to do it here laugh.png

Ok so..someone tells you something like..

"with a face like that you'd make a good advertisement for birth control."

"you liked your first double chin so much you got a second one"

you say back..

"ever had a look at yourself in the mirror buddy?...you got no mirrors in your house?"

get it?tongue.png

Got it, capice.

Next time why not just say what a Thai would say, mai mee krai dee tee sut.

(Your recollection of the incident adds further detail with every Post - and interestingly seems to immediately incorporate suggestions made by a previous Poster.)

We are getting off-topic but basically a Salesman is there ........ to SELL. Not to tell lies about a Product of course but to attempt to influence a potential Buyer by highlighting features of one Brand against the lack of those features in another (for example).

That's his job.

I have lost count of the number of Posts on this Forum complaining :

1) The Salesman in ***** Store completely ignored me and I really wanted to buy.

and others

2) The Salesman in ***** Store followed me all over the place recommending various Products when all I wanted was to be left alone to decide by myself.

Seems the poor chaps cannot win with the Farang in Thailand!

Patrick

Patrick I agree they cannot win some people like to have them follow them and some don't i just tell them im only looking and then the problem is solved.

But I thought i was clear in my description, the seller was pushing me (pushy selling) a product and using lies to get there. Then when i did not go for it he made comments about it to his co worker that were not flattering. I never added stuff just clarified it what i consider pushy selling. I don't like lies and pushy selling to get commission and yes i will respond to that if the occasion arises where i am 110% sure, else i let it go.

You were saying i was combative, im saying your an apologist. I just stand up for my rights once in a while.

• Like 1

Just wondering. How do you straight guys feel about the lovely young ladies at Boots who follow you around and then stand there as you select your condom purchases? Is that good for you? I'm really curious.

Depends how lovely she is - ask her which one she prefers wink.png

Just wondering. How do you straight guys feel about the lovely young ladies at Boots who follow you around and then stand there as you select your condom purchases? Is that good for you? I'm really curious.

Or if they offer you to try them out.

I did have a cut pharmacist take down my phone number that was until the other one told her i had a gf already.

I did have a cut pharmacist take down my phone number that was until the other one told her i had a gf already.

Was that before you asked for the ointment?

EDIT:

Are you sure the pharmacist wasn't only half-cut?

Edited by StreetCowboy

Was that before you asked for the ointment?

Kan Koy?

What's being straight got to do with it? Gay guys use rubbers too, right?

It wouldn't bother me since when I buy condoms from Family Mart or 7-11, a lot of the time, the cashier's a woman anyway.

It wouldn't bother me since when I buy condoms from Family Mart or 7-11, a lot of the time, the cashier's a woman anyway.

I'm happy that you can find ones that are large enough to fit from such places, not all of us are as lucky as you.

I'm happy that you can find ones that are large enough to fit from such places, not all of us are as lucky as you.

Can't you just use a thimble, Tommo?

I've had this happen a few times and said in a quizzical voice in Thai " I'm sorry are you talking to me?" as if it were a genuine question.

That shut them up.

Please spell out how you would say that in Thai. Thank you.

Kor toht na, sorry

Kui gap krai, who are you talking to?

Kui gap pom rue plao, are you talking to me or not?