Tesco Extra Virgin Olive Oil... Really Evoo?

happysanook

This olive oil business is hugely crooked... I recently went to my local Tesco and saw they had "EVOO"... Unfortunately, I'm not exactly a connoisseur so I can't tell the difference between real and fake... And definitely not the difference between virgin and extra virgin. Anyone can comment on the quality of Tesco's EVOO or perhaps general QC with Tesco's similar products..?

Olive oil scams are big business in Europe, and it pays to be careful. Italy imports huge amounts of crap olive oil from Spain, mixes it with local oil and markets it as 'Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil'.

Because Italy has a reputation for good olive oil (undeservedly, in my opinion). they sell shedloads of the stuff all over the world and much of it is industrially produced and blended garbage.

The best olive oil in my opinion comes from Kalamata and the southern Peleponnisos in Greece. Fresh, green and peppery with a low acidity, it's good enough to eat just by dipping fresh bread in it. Yum!

What do Tesco sell a litre of olive oil for now? I've never bought it when I'm in Thailand, so haven't got a clue. Does it state on the label where it comes from? I would imagine a company like Tesco, if they put EVOO on the label then as far as they are aware that's what it is. However, as I say, there are a lot of scams going down in the Olive Oil industry, so many oils labelled EV are blends of EV and low grade oil.

I used to use it in the UK and it was good. I have bought it here once or twice and it seems to be the same.

Very good...Thanks

Olive oil scams are big business in Europe, and it pays to be careful. Italy imports huge amounts of crap olive oil from Spain, mixes it with local oil and markets it as 'Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil'.

Because Italy has a reputation for good olive oil (undeservedly, in my opinion). they sell shedloads of the stuff all over the world and much of it is industrially produced and blended garbage.

The best olive oil in my opinion comes from Kalamata and the southern Peleponnisos in Greece. Fresh, green and peppery with a low acidity, it's good enough to eat just by dipping fresh bread in it. Yum!

What do Tesco sell a litre of olive oil for now? I've never bought it when I'm in Thailand, so haven't got a clue. Does it state on the label where it comes from? I would imagine a company like Tesco, if they put EVOO on the label then as far as they are aware that's what it is. However, as I say, there are a lot of scams going down in the Olive Oil industry, so many oils labelled EV are blends of EV and low grade oil.

It was 500mL for 180 baht... inexpensive comparatively speaking. I was thinking that a large company such as Tesco would make it legit, but as you said it's such a crooked business... It smells good enough, but as I said, I'm no connoisseur...And probably easy enough to fake the smell.

I can't see where it was made. I tried to take the extra Thai label off and it pealed the label underneath..Though I'm not sure where it was from was labeled there anyways...

Just buy some brand name and you are on the safe side.....

I'm not sure that would put it on the safe side at all

http://www.oliveoilt...avis-study/5192

http://www.oliveoilt...live-oils/30129

Edited by happysanook

well, I found this... link to a PDF that has Tesco-brand EVOO rated as 4 star in a taste test by some supposed experts... not sure this is the same type as what I have though...

http://www.dicksonna...120318 copy.pdf

Thanks for that link; a very interesting article. I rather think that the oil from Tesco UK, given the lower transport costs and the £6.99 / 500ml price tag is not going to be the same oil as in Tesco Thailand at 180Baht (£3.60 ish) / 500ml. I guess the bottom line is "Does it taste ok to you?"

• Like 1

good olive oil had a symbol on the side of it which is world standard assuring you of good quality i think it in the form ot a triangle

Surely no one could, or even would think of, counterfeiting that.

There is no counterfeiting in Thailand, just as there is no police corruption in Thailand and just as the Gov minister said on a visit to Pattaya, there is no prostitution in Pattaya.

• Like 1

well, I found this... link to a PDF that has Tesco-brand EVOO rated as 4 star in a taste test by some supposed experts... not sure this is the same type as what I have though...

http://www.dicksonna...120318 copy.pdf

Thanks for that link; a very interesting article. I rather think that the oil from Tesco UK, given the lower transport costs and the £6.99 / 500ml price tag is not going to be the same oil as in Tesco Thailand at 180Baht (£3.60 ish) / 500ml. I guess the bottom line is "Does it taste ok to you?"

Yes, I noticed that price difference. The stuff I bought is "Drizzle" and it's sold in UK Tescos as well (2 quid). The label is exactly the same except for a Thai slap on. Interesting at this mysupermarket link, I can only find "Drizzle" under the Tesco brands.

http://www.tesco.com...s/?id=254918430

http://www.mysuperma...l_in_Tesco.html

My concern here are the health benefits of EVOO which apparently diminish rapidly as grade goes down - as opposed to taste.

Edited by happysanook

Not sure about the 'Drizzle' stuff, I've never come across it, having lived in Greece for the past 10 years or so. I do find I become a tad suspicious when they start marketing things like 'Drizzle'. Sounds like they're trying to hide something.

Ah well, you never know, in a couple of years you may be able to buy excellent Greek olive oil from the Peloponissos in LOS. A Greek friend (also married to a Thai) and I have been discussing shipping good Greek olive oil to Thailand. We're looking at the practicalities now.

Not sure about the 'Drizzle' stuff, I've never come across it, having lived in Greece for the past 10 years or so. I do find I become a tad suspicious when they start marketing things like 'Drizzle'. Sounds like they're trying to hide something.

Ah well, you never know, in a couple of years you may be able to buy excellent Greek olive oil from the Peloponissos in LOS. A Greek friend (also married to a Thai) and I have been discussing shipping good Greek olive oil to Thailand. We're looking at the practicalities now.

If you are going to import olive oil , reasonably priced olives would also be welcomed.

Hadn't thought about olives - didn't really see a market for them (yes, I know you'd buy them, but that's not really a viable business model)

And I'm really .not sure that Thais are ready for fat, juicy olives yet. I may be wrong, but that's my gut feeling. (More's the pity, because I think they are a great side-dish to a drink).

It's a gradual thing.

Slowly slowly catchee monkey....

I used to use it in the UK and it was good. I have bought it here once or twice and it seems to be the same.

Very good...Thanks

It was 500mL for 180 baht... inexpensive comparatively speaking. I was thinking that a large company such as Tesco would make it legit, but as you said it's such a crooked business... It smells good enough, but as I said, I'm no connoisseur...And probably easy enough to fake the smell.

I can't see where it was made. I tried to take the extra Thai label off and it pealed the label underneath..Though I'm not sure where it was from was labeled there anyways...

Just buy some brand name and you are on the safe side.....

I'm not sure that would put it on the safe side at all

http://www.oliveoilt...avis-study/5192

http://www.oliveoilt...live-oils/30129

It is irrelevant if you are a connoisseur. You said it "smells good enough." If it tastes good enough as well, why take the inquiry further. You want an olive oil you like, not one with a big name.

Hadn't thought about olives - didn't really see a market for them (yes, I know you'd buy them, but that's not really a viable business model)

And I'm really .not sure that Thais are ready for fat, juicy olives yet. I may be wrong, but that's my gut feeling. (More's the pity, because I think they are a great side-dish to a drink).

It's a gradual thing.

Slowly slowly catchee monkey....

You can buy olives in supermarkets but are expensive . The supermarket in Emporium has some great ones but because of the privcy and so i only buy small amounts and then that stirs up the craving and i am like a junkie for the next few days . I don't think the Thais will ever really learn to like olives as they are an aquired taste for all of us, but a mate of mine told me he bought a jar of olives in a Thai shop that had been marinated in a sugar syrup.