Giant Guesthouse 2?

stacks

*NOTE I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH THEM IN ANY WAY!*

Arrive in CM on the 8th of next month. From what I could tell from reviews / youtube vids I saw, seems like a pretty solid little place. The price is right and the bar next door seems alright too. Anyone been here or heard anything about it? Will probably be staying a week or less while I look for an apartment. Friend lives in Chang Pueak neighborhood (sp) north of the city center.. Will travel to and from there be easy enough (Giant guesthouse 2 is near the south wall)?

Am also open to any suggestions! Needs wifi and hot water- Can be a shared bathroom but would like a private room. Cheaper the better but not interested in staying in a roach motel.

Thanks in advance! :)

Cheaper the better but not interested in staying in a roach motel.

You will have to make up your mind. Also are you OK with travelers stumbeling in drunk with the nightly conquest in tow. Can often be noisy.

Bar next door = noise. OK if that dosen't bother you.

Check out Varada Place (just google them). It's just north of Huay Kaew in Chiang Phuek 5 minutes from Kad Suan Kaew. Google maps 18.79884,98.975148 the building that is under construction in the street view is Varada Place. I'm not a part of the business. It's a new building, small rooms but clean and reasonably well appointed for a budget place. I don't know off hand for a weekly rate but you can do a month all-in for under 6,000 baht. BTW - there is a small bar next door, more of a pub atmosphere.

Check out Varada Place (just google them). It's just north of Huay Kaew in Chiang Phuek 5 minutes from Kad Suan Kaew. Google maps 18.79884,98.975148 the building that is under construction in the street view is Varada Place. I'm not a part of the business. It's a new building, small rooms but clean and reasonably well appointed for a budget place. I don't know off hand for a weekly rate but you can do a month all-in for under 6,000 baht. BTW - there is a small bar next door, more of a pub atmosphere.

Looking into it now, found their Facebook page. Thanks for the rec, Al!

• 2 months later...

Upon further reflection View Doing gets my vote in the same area every time.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry View Doi!

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Be careful.

Many of these cheap guesthouses are fire traps, disasters waiting to happen.

If you want something decent and not too expensive, I recommend here:

http://www.tapaeplacehotel.com/

Good one some how I feel 650 baht a night is pretty high for some one who dosen't mind sharing a bathroom.wai2.gif

Sorry forgot to mention sent from my desk top using the Thai Visa web sight.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

A friend of mine liked Coconut Guest house inside the moat. It's nothing special, but it was cheap and had huge rooms and a really friendly laid-back owner. Has WiFi. I seem to remember moomuang soi 7 but not sure.

I'd stay inside the moat anyway- it's nice and everything is within walking distance.

Anywhere else you either need a scooter right away, or get used to haggling with tuk tuks. I'd recommend renting a scooter quickly, but better if you can do it on day 2 or 3 rather than landing in a place where you can't actually walk anywhere.

Depending on where you are in the moat. Airport mall is walkable from part of the old city as is Night Bazaar or Nihemanhaven just depends on what part of the old city you are in.

You might want to look into Riders corner as has been mentioned here. It is not that far from Chang Pueak Gate. Never been there myself but have heard they have good food there.