Indoor Barramundi Fish Farming

A very close friend of mine recently founded one of the largest, if not THE largest, indoor Barramundi* Fish Farms in Europe.

It's a very profitable industry.

Anyone knows if this has been done in Thailand? -Barramundi Fish Farming-

* If you've never heard of it: 'Google' -Barramundi. You will find many sites.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Im pretty sure fish farming is one of those industries restricted to Thai nationals only.

Really? I didn't know that.

I thought to have read here on TV that quite a few people were doing all kinds of farming, like Rubber, Palm Oil, and Fish Farms as well ???

1 or 2 years ago there was even a European guy murdered (I believe Dutch) having a successful fish farm in the south...

But most of those fish farms are open farms, either in ponds or off-shore.

I'm sure one can set-up an Indoor Fish Farm with a legal Thai Company and/or Thai Partners.

You don't need a very big 'factory' to start it up and it could be in any industrial area.

LaoPo

Im pretty sure fish farming is one of those industries restricted to Thai nationals only.

1 or 2 years ago there was even a European guy murdered (I believe Dutch) having a successful fish farm in the south...

Just proves the point; there is a rule, and a very efficient enforcing mechanism as well.. :o

Edited by ~G~

One of the companies we deal with (for export of our discus fish), Qian Hu is very active in Thailand with dozens of fish farming facilities. They are foreigners, albeit Singaporeans (listed on their stock exchange I believe as well), so perhaps not really considered foreign by locals.

:o

Sorry, my mistake.

It appears it is actually encouraged by the Thai BOI.

http://www.boi.go.th/english/about/section1.pdf

I thought to have read here on TV that quite a few people were doing all kinds of farming, like Rubber, Palm Oil, and Fish Farms as well ???

But most of those fish farms are open farms, either in ponds or off-shore.

I'm sure one can set-up an Indoor Fish Farm with a legal Thai Company and/or Thai Partners.

You don't need a very big 'factory' to start it up and it could be in any industrial area.

LaoPo