Putting Yips

potters

Missing a put is not the yips. Wait until you see a player with a sudden jerk in the putting motion so bad he'll leave a 10 footer 6 foot short or has a 14 footer coming back... I've seen bad cases when the guy cant even make a backswing with the putter.

Missing a put is not the yips. Wait until you see a player with a sudden jerk in the putting motion so bad he'll leave a 10 footer 6 foot short or has a 14 footer coming back... I've seen bad cases when the guy cant even make a backswing with the putter.

With mine it was just as I was about to strike the ball I would flinch slightly and twist the putter face.... it was quickly solved within a game or two though....

True, involutary loss of control of fine motor skills, have a 1 handicapper at one of the courses in Aust who would putt left handed (normally right handed) for anything less than about 3 feet from the hole. Fine, no real novelty with that. However, he did it with a central shafted putter and the hitting area on the 'flip side' of the putter was only about 5millimetres wide, worked for him. He told me that before when he had the yips he at times would be 3 foot away from the hole and knock it off the green, I sure he exaggerated that slightly, but i got the idea. Was playing with him in an amateur open event when he was putting reverse so he was certainly genuine about his solution and it was amazing at the time. From memory it was a central shafted putter and for sure he wasn't striking it with the sole, it was the central hosel of the club. Never forget it.

The yips are like a disease that only surfaces when out on the course.

On the practice green.....no worries. It can be an absolute nightmare and for some, not easily overcome. I find a couple of beers usually relaxes me so that I can make a smooth stroke, and then after a couple more I don't worry if I miss an easy putt and end up enjoying the game more......that's just me.

I used to be a really good putter, but the last 10 years or so I've gone through the yips many times.....and believe me.....it's not pretty. Consequently my putting is not as good, or my confidence.

Cheers.

The yips are a nightmare. Had them a few times and honestly, when in a tournament they can break your heart. I get them frequently and have used a couple of methods, none have worked full time, hence a few different methods.

When I'm ready to putt I put the putter about 3 inches behind the ball, instead of right up next to it. Helps with a follow through instead of jerking to a screetching halt at the ball.

Practiced with the long putter to get a smooth stroke. Then back to the short putter for playing. For the life of me I just can't get myself to use a long putter. It's just not me.

Moved to cross handed, with the hands apart.

Now on the pencil grip, seems to have got the tension out of my hands and forearms..........for now.

Used to have a couple of beers before and during play, not too much but it relaxed me. But that was back in the amateur days. Can't do that as a pro.

I fully sympathise with anyone that ever has them, pretty they aint. The bad part about the yips is it doesn't just stop with putting, it can move to the short game and getting a chip to just get on the green when under pressure was a heartstopper.

Why I ever took up the game when I was young and should have been doing other things is beyond me.. w00t.gif

I do agree yips are a nightmare, but they will always come in second place to the worst shot in golf, the unmentionable...........shank!

You are better off having an air-swing than a shank, you won't be in as much trouble as with where you end up after a shank.

As for the yip, for me it's about mind control, no matter how I place my hands....but still not easy to overcome.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Played a round yesterday and lipped out three times on one hole.

As for the yips, when afflicted, my key is to stop thinking about sinking it. Just pick the line, address the ball, and take a stroke without hesitating. Expect it not to drop. A round or two doing this gets me back to not overthinking it. Need to get the mental hesitation out of it.

Interesting to see the various comments on putting.

Yet it is the one part of our gamne very few people practice.

Yet go out and play and expect to sink everything.

Get upset when it does not drop.

Nearly half your score is putting so devote a bit more

time to practicing putting and watch

your scores drop.

Unfortunately not allowed to mention a certain course taking place

in Bangkok that will help you improve but PM me if you want more information.

Potters