Thai Govt Wants Youtube Sex Spoof Removed

webfact

I wonder if anyone in Thailand is familiar with The Simpsons, King of the Hill, Family Guy, or South Park. Americans beat everyone to the punch by making fun of themselves constantly. Unfortunately, we lampoon not just Christianity but Christ directly (which is blasphemous), and we lampoon political figures (albeit the media largely guards the left); nevertheless, America thrives.

Lose your freedom of the press, I suppose, and you lose not only your relevancy but, more importantly, your sense of humor. After all, humor's main ingredient is honesty.

Edited by KhunHehe
  • Like 1

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahahaha brilliant - more of the "saving face" garbage. First time I encountered that, my first thought was that the entire country should be bent over daddy's knee, given a red arse and sent to bed without any supper. Just grow the **** up and suck it up... biggrin.png

• Like 1

I read in the press that YouTube had taken down the video but it's still there. Seems a good compromise to make a lot of noise and then tell the Thai media that the farangs listened to esteemed mafiosi in cabinet and removed material offensive to Thai culture. The reality is that the farangs from the US Embassy to YouTube and Saturday Night LIve didn't give them the time of day which is what they knew would happen. It was just grandstanding but the Thai government controlled media will put it down as a victory to said mafiosi.

• Like 1

Time to expose the Culture Minister's brainchild to a broader audience with international media picking up his absurdity and his wish to expand involvement with the ICT Minister ... cue ever-growing view numbers for the video

Anger at 'Saturday Night Live' skit on Thai sex industry

A US comedy skit that makes fun of Thailand’s booming sex industry has angered the government, which is trying to block videos of the sketch on the internet.

The skit on the Saturday Night Live programme shows men learning phrases for use in Thailand’s notorious night-life.

Culture Minister Sonthaya Kunploem said. “We’re working with the foreign ministry to let the US know it is offensive and we have asked our information ministry to remove the clip.”

REUTERS

Continued:

http://www.independe...ry-8480676.html

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

Absolutely not. Do not consider that possibility for even a moment. Do you realize how much of their GDP is generated from sex related businesses? How many homes in Issan would fail to be built without? Consider the ripple effect of all of this income. The government has zero interest in eradicating this. Too many people in high places profit from it. Where did Chalerm make all his millions? Prostitution. This is nothing but hogwash talk, meant for public consumption. There is nothing behind it. No conviction, no intent, no will, and no morality, just fundamentalist hogwash. Period.

You don't have to ask me. the previous poster stated that the Thai government is always trying to do something about it.

Prostitution has been around forever, and in Thailand I am sure for nearly that long. Why it is quite so massive and apparently accepted is another issue. On the one hand, we have to right wing conservatives who ring their hands when all issues of a moral kind are raised in Thailand, but they do nothing. Then, on the other hand, there is reality, and we see entire tracts of pretty large cities given over to this business in very public manner.

It really is a case of the emporer having no clothes. the moment anyone points it out, the faux shock is very funny to watch

SNL skit besmirches good name of Thailand sex tourism industry

By Shane Danaher

snl-578x387.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Though it seemed as if the final death knell had long ago sounded for Saturday Night Live’s cultural relevance, in the past two weeks the US late-night institution has managed to shake some of the cobwebs from its latter-season somnambulance and create a minor-league international incident.

In a sketch that aired a week ago, SNL ribbed on Thailand’s sexual tourism industry in the form of a fake “Rosetta Stone” advertisement that offered to teach American tourists such Thai phrases as “How much?” and “Is that for the whole night?”

You know what, just check it out below: [more...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=buPJ6Qr-tw8

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...urism-industry/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2013-02-04

This was really funnyclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Another Thai who is outraged about something that happens in another country? Maybe Saturday Night Life should apologize...NOT!

Thailand has to come to terms with a simple fact: this IS the picture, many people abroad have about Thailand!

It is not about temples and food, elephants or beaches alone....

I have met so many people in oz that say "hey mate i hear that you are off to Toyland again" what on earth do they mean ?

In gay circles in the USA if you say you are going to Thailand, the response is often: hot and cold running boys. Just reporting the facts.

Those stereotypical attitudes make the humor of that SNL skit and so many other examples in American entertainment media so easy and obvious. Thailand's officials might think this is unfair but if they're serious about changing such attitudes, start work now and reap the results decades later. There is no quick fix, no amount of silly fake crackdowns that will change attitudes one bit. You know they won't. Easier to make American media the boogeyman.

Edited by Jingthing

... and this is on the official Las Vegas convention & Visitors Authority website:

homeLogo.png

What Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas

685E58B0F5F8242B5215C9B9AC04ED08.jpg

..Maybe TAT could take a hint.

BTW Most Americans could not point out Thailand on a map ... and a lot of the time, I have to say 'No. I mean Thailand; you're thinking of TaiWAN!'

Edited by JLCrab

Man, i am so lucky to bail from the USA. in my youth, humor was fresh and well, funny and the creeks weren't cemented and had fish in them too. Not so many wanna be ganstas and even the beaches were clean. As for television and movies, why are the 1950-1970s reruns so popular now and the sitcoms are still going around the world, was it the end of the true golden age of entertainment?, now shock and stupidity are the average crap and soooo boring too!

They should do comedies on the little Mexican girls being pimped all over in America, or the immigrant newbies who are sucking the welfare dry and can't speak any English?

Well I'm kind of glad you left too. So let me get this straight. Your ideal comedy would be about Mexican immigrant newbies pimping little girls all over America? I guess the funny part in your sitcom has to do with communication because your protagonists can't speak English?

• Like 1

Yeah, wanting to violate the freedom of expression.

It isn't an advertisement for rape, sex with children, selling sex, or anything like that. It is parodying a very real phenomenon in Thailand and anyone who is here, or reads this forum will know that it is very accurate.

All I see everyday in Thailand is:

Farang arrested, underage sex, illegal sex, dead during sex, rape, assault, drugs, women, Pattaya, gangsters, shootings, knifings, muder etc etc.......

Yeah, wanting to violate the freedom of expression.

It isn't an advertisement for rape, sex with children, selling sex, or anything like that. It is parodying a very real phenomenon in Thailand and anyone who is here, or reads this forum will know that it is very accurate.

All I see everyday in Thailand is:

Farang arrested, underage sex, illegal sex, dead during sex, rape, assault, drugs, women, Pattaya, gangsters, shootings, knifings, muder etc etc.......

Living in the notorious tourist areas, yes, you may see this every day.

Living in the real Thailand (away from tourist areas), I see very little of

this -- probably less than I would see in the U.S., U.K., Euro or Oz.

A nation that takes itself too seriously will inevitably end up with it's pants around it's ankles.

And, a nation that habitually wears its pants around its ankles shouldn't complain when it gets the odd one up the doodah.

• Like 1

I wonder if anyone in Thailand is familiar with The Simpsons, King of the Hill, Family Guy, or South Park. Americans beat everyone to the punch by making fun of themselves constantly. Unfortunately, we lampoon not just Christianity but Christ directly (which is blasphemous), and we lampoon political figures (albeit the media largely guards the left); nevertheless, America thrives.

Lose your freedom of the press, I suppose, and you lose not only your relevancy but, more importantly, your sense of humor. After all, humor's main ingredient is honesty.

Maybe the left needs some guarding -- considering the ferocious nature of the rad-con right... sick.gif

I love to see some farangs trying to defend this crazy reaction from the Thai government. One day we aren't quite do hansum, and we have to work to not be just another farang on town.

defending the indefensible to gain brownie points, but in doing so, losing your identity doesn't help one bit. No one is going to thank you for your support, believe me. Thailand is world famous for its sex industry, that's the truth.

Getting outraged by someone laughing at you about it, is all very childish

Edited by Thai at Heart

I watched the video, I didn't see anything offensive to Thailand. The CNN news broadcast about having little girls in bars was more offensive than this.

With that said, I believe that the news was just trying to work up Thai people to hate foreigners. After listening to a good half hour of this guy rant on air about how bad

Americans are, I believe there is more to the story, most likely this Thai guy who is complaining didn't get his way in an American contract or his shipment of ivory was confiscated at customs.

Either way this was just a smear campaign to hate Americans dressed up like a news bite. The embassy should complain because this kind of racist rhetoric brings hatred to innocent people. Besides I didn't hear him complain when they were selling T shirts all over the streets with Osama and the Twin Towers. Every Male Thai around dawned the Twin Tower shirts just after they blew it up. Now that was surely offensive...did he mention that? No, because it's justice....just for them as usual.

I've just watched the clip and in my opinion they seem to be making fun of the type of men that go to Thailand for sex, rather than insulting Thailand. Just look at the archetypical actors they use. Think the ministry (unsurprisingly) overreacted to nothing, as the clip was not meant to be offensive.

• Like 2