Police Pay Rates

Waterloo

I don't know about the BIB, but when I was teaching a few years ago, teachers right out of school started at 7000 baht if they could get a government position, less if they were on yearly contracts. My friend had taught at the same school for over 25 years and his salary was about 30k/month.

30K a month for either a senior officer or teacher, how much less for a junior officer just starting out?

30K doesn't sound a lot to me, but what do I know I don't live in Thailand any opinions?

It is not a lot. That is why Thailand has instituted the bribe system and month end collection at traffic stops. That is how Thailand operates in all departments, whether it is government or private industry. Who is to say it is wrong? It's just a different system than in the west. And, surprisingly enough it seems to work without impinging on people's lives too much. In Thailand you are free to kill yourself when you do something stupid. In the west we try to create laws to protect stupid people from hurting themselves and hurting others. It hasn't worked any better than the Thai system.

30K a month for either a senior officer or teacher, how much less for a junior officer just starting out?

30K doesn't sound a lot to me, but what do I know I don't live in Thailand any opinions?

It is not a lot. That is why Thailand has instituted the bribe system and month end collection at traffic stops. That is how Thailand operates in all departments, whether it is government or private industry. Who is to say it is wrong? It's just a different system than in the west. And, surprisingly enough it seems to work without impinging on people's lives too much. In Thailand you are free to kill yourself when you do something stupid. In the west we try to create laws to protect stupid people from hurting themselves and hurting others. It hasn't worked any better than the Thai system.

Where did you learn this? Thai Visa or is there some international school that teaches this information?

• Like 1

Well, since you asked. I'd say it's wrong. And to state all the reasons why would require a hundred thousand word doctoral thesis.

When a drunk can pay his way out of slaughtering a child and her mother riding on a motorbike, I would say that is "impinging" on peoples lives.

Or, like that Senior Master-sergeant I mentioned. He supplements his income by "overlooking" a pedophile's behavior. (The reason I stopped associating with the cop.) That's impinging on someone, wouldn't you say?

In Thailand, if you are rich, you are free to kill someone when you do something stupid.

• Like 2

It is WRONG. It impinges on peoples lives. In Thailand, rich people "are free to kill" OTHER people when they do something stupid.

• Like 2

Well, since you asked. I'd say it's wrong. And to state all the reasons why would require a hundred thousand word doctoral thesis.

When a drunk can pay his way out of slaughtering a child and her mother riding on a motorbike, I would say that is "impinging" on peoples lives.

Or, like that Senior Master-sergeant I mentioned. He supplements his income by "overlooking" a pedophile's behavior. (The reason I stopped associating with the cop.) That's impinging on someone, wouldn't you say?

In Thailand, if you are rich, you are free to kill someone when you do something stupid.

I would agree

I met a couple officers in Phuket they had been on about a year . There pay was 8000 a month with free housing and medical . Spoke with a ranking officer in the south with well over 20 years in his pay was 28,000 per year . Now also understand they must buy all thier own gear as well .... But I do see many living way beyond what there income shows . So go figuire ..

I met a couple officers in Phuket they had been on about a year . There pay was 8000 a month with free housing and medical . Spoke with a ranking officer in the south with well over 20 years in his pay was 28,000 per year . Now also understand they must buy all thier own gear as well .... But I do see many living way beyond what there income shows . So go figuire ..

A few give a bad name for the many, same all over the world!

you must be a Thai person to think this way

I don't have any accurate first hand details but I'm certain that most government jobs here have just OK salaries but the official benefits tend to make up the difference, schooling costs, medical, accomodation costs etc.

you must be a Thai person to think this way

Nope, I just observe what actually happens. No system is perfect. The Thailand system is FAR, FAR, FAR from perfect, but for the most part you have more freedom from the police here in Thailand. Stay here long enough and you WILL get caught for some silly infraction, but the fine is usually minimal.

Death caused by stupid behaviour happens everywhere. No amount of compensation will bring back a loved one. Sticking someone in jail forever for killing someone in a drunken traffic accident won't bring back a loved one. It is only revenge. Western thinking is like religion; in theory, it SOUNDS good, but in practise it doesn't actually work. We are all still humans with all the frailities that humans have. Many humans in positions of authority abuse their power. All humans do things that are stupid, and sometimes people pay the ultimate sacrifice. I don't care where you live, it's all the same.

• Like 2