U K Parliament Backs Gay Marriage Bill

webfact

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everything is changing in UK. Centuries of stuff and now everything is changing. sad.png

It's what is known as "progress". It's been going on for thousands of years (so perhaps it's time for you to deal with it).

And if you have even a passing acquaintance with history (or logic) and give it a moment's objective thought, you should recognize that the fact that something has existed for centuries doesn't make it a good thing or that it should never change.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

I should deal with what. ?

A child is to have folk to call mum AND dad, not mum and mum or dad and dad.

And why is that, in your opinion?

Anyway, forget to mention, this is a major step forward for the UK so congratulations to all of you from the UK. You join the group of nations leading the way for the rest of the world. You should be very proud. May many more follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smB_ToxwZ0g

So I reckon with the UK the list is now TWELVE?

http://mentalfloss.c...-marriage-legal

1. The Netherlands

2. Belgium

4. Canada

5. South Africa

6. Norway

7. Sweden

8. Portugal

9. Iceland

10. Argentina

11. Mexico

Edited by Jingthing

I wonder what the rate of divorces is going to be. 90%? At least male gays are mostly about polyamorous relationships, or NSA altogether. Anyway, congrats you can marry. Now move kindly aside, and make way for the next non-relevant issue that'll go on forever.

Agreed! The boys are getting too bitchy.

I wonder what the rate of divorces is going to be. 90%? At least male gays are mostly about polyamorous relationships, or NSA altogether. Anyway, congrats you can marry. Now move kindly aside, and make way for the next non-relevant issue that'll go on forever.

coffee1.gif

Anyway, forget to mention, this is a major step forward for the UK so congratulations to all of you from the UK. You join the group of nations leading the way for the rest of the world. You should be very proud. May many more follow.

1. The Netherlands

2. Belgium

4. Canada

5. South Africa

6. Norway

7. Sweden

8. Portugal

9. Iceland

10. Argentina

11. Mexico

The UK ''people'' didn't vote on, or for it. coffee1.gif

Do you mean like ... uppity?
  • Like 1

They voted for their elected officials, yes?thumbsup.gif

They might need a real job after the next election.

That's just empty bravado considering the opinion POLLS which show public support for legalizing same sex MARRIAGE in the UK.

The Conservative party (Cameron) recieved 36.1% of all votes cast in the last general election hence he had to form a coalition government with the Liberal Democrats. There were 29,991,471 ballots returned by the close of poll of which the Conservatives recieved 10,703,654 votes. Given that the population of the UK is 63.2 miilion, only about 16% of the voting popultion voted for the current government.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/statistics_from_2010_election

• Like 1

They might need a real job after the next election.

That's just empty bravado considering the opinion POLLS which show public support for legalizing same sex MARRIAGE in the UK.

Another ICM poll of 1,004 people perhaps!

• Like 2

The 3 "main" parties may just get a big shock next time round. The muslims and devout christians won't like the gay marriage laws. People are fed up with Europe. A far right mp would not surprise me just now.

The 3 "main" parties may just get a big shock next time round. The muslims and devout christians won't like the gay marriage laws. People are fed up with Europe. A far right mp would not surprise me just now.

Too bad. It's done.

Has it. I thought it had a few more hurdles yet to be finalized into law.

I agree, I can see a lot of things being undone as a result.

Too bad. It's done.

The bill must first be approved by the House of Lords before it becomes law.

• Like 1

Personally I think that a marriage is between a man and a women. Mr and Mrs Jones for example.

If this becomes law it is going to be confusing calling the ' wife ' Mr.

Why can't gay people just have a loving 'partnership' or something similar?

Personally I think that a marriage is between a man and a women. Mr and Mrs Jones for example.

Why shouldn't they have the same legal rights as straight couples?

1) Personally? You think? In some countries it is currently between a man and a woman. In others, it can be between people of the same gender. These are facts as of today, not opinion. These facts are not immutable and there is no logical or legal reason I am aware of why they should be.

2) If two men are married, neither one is "the wife". Regardless, in what circumstance would there be any confusion?

3) They can. For number of valid legal and emotional reasons that does not suffice for many and they prefer to have the same rights as you or I. Why can't they have a loving "marriage"?

Edited by SteeleJoe

There is no good reason except to keep down gay people as second class citizens.

Too bad. It's done.

The bill must first be approved by the House of Lords before it becomes law.

OK. What are the chances they wouldn't approve it?

]OK. What are the chances they wouldn't approve it?

Who can say, the Lords regularly rejects bills put to it that were previously passed by the House of Commons, "In the past there has been strong opposition in the Lords to measures promoting gay equality". http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2013/feb/05/gay-marriage-debate-politics-live-blog

Edited by chiang mai

There is no good reason except to keep down gay people as second class citizens.

That's not a "good" reason! :)

But seriously, I don't believe that's what it's about for everyone who is against gay marriage; a lot of it is just those inherent aspects of all forms of bigotry and prejudice: fear and ignorance. Throw in religious values, conservative politics and/ or outlook on life...I think many opponents don't consciously want to keep gay people as second class citizens, they just don't want their world to change into something so new and/or they want a sort of "separate but equal" deal where gays can be equal but stay in their place. (Yeah, I know that doesn't make sense.)

Edited by SteeleJoe

Who can say, the Lords regularly rejects bills put to it that were previously passed by the House of Commons.

What criteria do they use?

Yes!

Historically they have not been in favour, see my previous post and link.

Who can say, the Lords regularly rejects bills put to it that were previously passed by the House of Commons.

What criteria do they use?

Yes!

Historically they have not been in favour, see my previous post and link.

Clearly I am missing something -

How does one answer, "What criteria do they use?" With "yes!"?

And looking at that link I see loads of good arguments FOR allowing gay marriage and much support. As well as an assertion that it will pass with a large majority.

1. The Netherlands

2. Belgium

4. Canada

5. South Africa

6. Norway

7. Sweden

8. Portugal

9. Iceland

10. Argentina

11. Mexico

From chiang mai's link:

Argentina

Belgium

Canada

Denmark

Iceland

Mexico (Mexico City only but recognised throughout Mexico)

United States of America (some states only)

Netherlands

Norway

Portugal

South Africa

Spain

Sweden