Extra Day Off For Songkran

dekestone

Bank calendars also. None of the one's that I have are red on the 12th.

Banks can't be closed for a certain number of consecutive days, so the 12th may not be a bank holiday.

Also, companies don't necessarily have to give the day off either. There something like 16 or 17 "public holidays", but companies only need to give 11 of them to employees.

(not sure about the numbers)

Bank calendars also. None of the one's that I have are red on the 12th.

It was only decided yesterday.

We call this Thai Planning ... biggrin.png

Indeed, the extra day will probably go some way to spread travel dates for the annual migration

Because the holidays fall on the weekend, they are "observed" on week days. Maybe the government has decided to "observe" one of them on the Friday before instead.

Oh crap. I am heading to swampy on the 12th as I am making my escape on the 13th. I hope this doesn't bugger up my plans as I have already purchased my evacuation flight. I'm sure BKK will be packed with other refugees seeking to get out before the nightmare starts. Hopefully, the airport area will remain dry.

The company I work with already had it as a holiday, and they made the list in September.

So 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 are holidays.

And not forgetting that the 8th is a holiday, substitute day for Chakri Memorial day which is on Saturday 6th.

Edited by beano2274

Because the holidays fall on the weekend, they are "observed" on week days. Maybe the government has decided to "observe" one of them on the Friday before instead.

The official holidays are 13 - 16; the 12th was added as an additional holiday. (According to the newspaper.) My company has the 17th as a holiday, so I assume we'll work on the 12th.

Edited by dekestone

Lucky they still had a day available to add, they must reach saturation soon since there are only 365 days in a year.

Maybe there will come a day when they mark actual work days on the calendar

Nah, that's too much work.

It was only decided yesterday.

We call this Thai Planning ... biggrin.png

It's very unusual for them to give this much notice.

Stand by for the "road deaths target" announcement. sad.png

I forecast the target will again be 0. Trips are planned to the most successful province in the New Year campaign.

Maybe good news for those who work for a company and get paid a salary but not for the average Thai worker paid on a daily basis and do not get a holiday allowance.

This means they lose almost one weeks wages in that month which for those that come from the poorer side of the Thai chain will cause a few problems with feeding the family or paying the bills..

Maybe good news for those who work for a company and get paid a salary but not for the average Thai worker paid on a daily basis and do not get a holiday allowance.

This means they lose almost one weeks wages in that month which for those that come from the poorer side of the Thai chain will cause a few problems with feeding the family or paying the bills..

Doesn't seem to diminish the hilarity of the occasion among Thais, in my observation . . . whistling.gif