How Many Expats Living In Thailand

WilliamCave

Two.

You and me.

Of course if one were to use the search facility of TVF they may find the answer I gave is incorrect.

This is just another one of many posts asking the same question.

I know am just lounging around bored and reading the posts here and thought I would ask the question .

You are correct two of us haha

Was wondering how many expats live in Thailand is there some were to find a break down were they are from and area most expats live?

Checking with the immigration office could be a start.

Not really, as I ran a thread on the CM forum asking the same thing about expats in CM only and altho the thread ran a few pages, it got nothing but guesses that ranged from 5,000 to 50,000. I also searched all over the immigration website and found nothing. Please post if you find out anything......

The last figure I've heard is that nearly a million foreigners stay in Thailand, plus x millions of aliens from neighbouring countries.

Now that confuses me since “aliens” and “foreigners” mean the same thing!

The British Consul to Thailand, Michael Hancock, gave a very good talk at Pattaya City Expats Club today.

He said there were about 50,000 British expats in Thailand.

i would guess he meant "official" ones.

But what constitutes 'official'?

People with residency? Work permits? O visas? The ones who are married to a Thai, have kids here but still have to do visa runs? There are many layers of 'official'.

I honestly think the Thai government would make it a lot easier for themselves if they simplified the visa situation.

• Like 1

I honestly think the Thai government would make it a lot easier for themselves if they simplified the visa situation.

It's hard to think of a simpler system than that which operates in Thailand. Here, apart from some of the more obscure categories which qualify for visas or extensions, there aren't really very many, and the conditions for these are few and not onerous. The form I have to fill in each year to obtain an extension fills just over one page. You either qualify or you don't. You trot along to your local immigration office, plonk down minimal paperwork and a couple of thousand baht, and that's it.

I can't be bothered to look up how many pages there are on the forms by which you have to apply for a visa to the UK, or Leave to Remain there, or to count the number of paragraphs and appendices in the Immigration Rules, which provide an absolute beanfeast for lawyers and can enmesh people in procedures lasting months or even years. And at the end of it, the UK Border Agency struggles to come up with reliable statistics as to the number of legal immigrants in the country, and certainly hasn't a clue as to how many are there illegally.

• Like 1

But the big question......given our visa's, extension to stay permits etc., in the Governments' eyes, are we living here or just passing through "on a regular 90 day pass"?

Statistics can be manipulated any way you want, for whatever purpose you need.

I know I am living here, but I am sure that the Thai government would disagree. (even though I follow all their requirements).

Cheers.

• Like 1

The last figure I've heard is that nearly a million foreigners stay in Thailand, plus x millions of aliens from neighbouring countries.

That's what I was thinking.

• Like 1

I ran into a crazy English teacher back in 2008 who told me he had returned from S Korea 4 years earlier on the 30-day visa exemption and didn't have a single stamp in his passport beyond that. When I asked him whether he was scared of being arrested at the airport, he responded that he would simply have to pay 'one hell of an overstay fine !'.

How many such folk are illegally living and working in Thailand ? Your guess is as good as mine. Ultimately, unless they are eating my food, wearing my shirt or shagging my woman, does it matter how many expats are in Thailand ? ;)

That's what I was thinking.

It's always interesting when expats have a meeting.

post-164212-0-66299900-1360870453_thumb.

It's hard to think of a simpler system than that which operates in Thailand. Here, apart from some of the more obscure categories which qualify for visas or extensions, there aren't really very many, and the conditions for these are few and not onerous. The form I have to fill in each year to obtain an extension fills just over one page. You either qualify or you don't. You trot along to your local immigration office, plonk down minimal paperwork and a couple of thousand baht, and that's it.

I can't be bothered to look up how many pages there are on the forms by which you have to apply for a visa to the UK, or Leave to Remain there, or to count the number of paragraphs and appendices in the Immigration Rules, which provide an absolute beanfeast for lawyers and can enmesh people in procedures lasting months or even years. And at the end of it, the UK Border Agency struggles to come up with reliable statistics as to the number of legal immigrants in the country, and certainly hasn't a clue as to how many are there illegally.

They know exactly how many illegals are in the UK. None !!!

Everyone in the UK just applies for a bogus college and gets the nod to come in or come from other EU countries or marries a UK person. Some just apply and get accepted. Immigration in the UK is a bad joke.

You have to be incredibly stupid to be declined entry to the UK, its true I am not being insulting, the Police round up the "so called illegals" around the ports and tell them to go to the nearest police station to claim asylum, instead of running away from the police, now the illegals are asking for directions to the police station to become "legal" whilst it takes 10 years to make a decision. If there case fails they leave the UK and re-enter and do it all again. Pathetic, the Austrailians wouldnt stand for it and neither would the Thais.

The British Consul to Thailand, Michael Hancock, gave a very good talk at Pattaya City Expats Club today.

He said there were about 50,000 British expats in Thailand.

i would guess he meant "official" ones.

That compares well with the figure of 55,000 UK expats listed at the bottom of the lik in post #7.

• 2 weeks later...