' Horse Lasagne' Sparks New British Food Scare

webfact

Can't imagine the company didn't know they were using horse meat, or do they only buy ground meat?

Are horses cheaper to raise for food than cows? Perhaps the dog racing industry should check into selling dogs for meat, as I understand it greyhounds are raced for 2-3 years and then euthanized. They could just ship the dogs to the butcher, or Laos!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't imagine the company didn't know they were using horse meat, or do they only buy ground meat?

Are horses cheaper to raise for food than cows? Perhaps the dog racing industry should check into selling dogs for meat, as I understand it greyhounds are raced for 2-3 years and then euthanized. They could just ship the dogs to the butcher, or Laos!

Much of their ''beef'' is imported from Eastern Europe whistling.gif , suppose it all looks the same unless a DNA is done. Perhaps Eastern Europe has JUST learned what DNA is eh. smile.png

Being from 'the continent' I really don't 'get' what the big deal is here, can anyone explain what's the scare here?

Is horse meat good for you? It’s a little better than beef. A three-ounceserving of roast horse has 149 calories, 24 grams of protein, and five grams of fat. The same amount of beef tenderloin has 179 calories, 24 grams of protein, and nine grams of fat.

Oh where do i start? whistling.gif

I'll have a double "Mr Ed" burger and fries

I just had a steak and my 1K run turned into several furlongs!

I dont want to beat a dead horse so i'll let others contribute biggrin.png

Bubble and Squeak, Toad in the Hole, Spotted Dick, Bangers and Mash and Hormonally Enhance Horse ... hard to choose which is most likely to cause an adverse reaction. Fortunately the British aren't known for obsessing about hygiene, personal or in food prep, so their stomachs probably have an innate immunity to things like veterinary meds & equine diseases anyway.

This is the same country that brought us the ever popular Bovine spongiform encephalopathy or at least kept it in the news.

What a load of bigoted old horse crap!

• Like 1

Being from 'the continent' I really don't 'get' what the big deal is here, can anyone explain what's the scare here?

Is horse meat good for you? It’s a little better than beef. A three-ounceserving of roast horse has 149 calories, 24 grams of protein, and five grams of fat. The same amount of beef tenderloin has 179 calories, 24 grams of protein, and nine grams of fat.

The deal is that companies were using horse meat but selling it as beef. This is against the law. Yes beilieve it or not some countries do have laws so that businesses can't tell lies sorry, misrespresent goods, to customers.

No problems if someone wants to buy and eat horse meat - but don't sell it as beef.

Interesting to see if there are prosecutions to come out of this.

• Like 1

Much of their ''beef'' is imported from Eastern Europe whistling.gif , suppose it all looks the same unless a DNA is done. Perhaps Eastern Europe has JUST learned what DNA is eh. smile.png

France and Ireland import much of their beef from Eastern Europe; and then process it for supermarkets around the EU? Looks an expensive, risky and convoluted supply chain.

Edited by Baerboxer

According to UK News, Findus had contracted out Lasagne frozen meals to a French Company/supplier "Comigel",who were responsible for production. Findus have ordered an Investigation,refund to customers,and complete clearance of the faulty product Nationwide.

May not be dangerous but it is false advertising. Perhaps relabel it 'horse lasagne" and see how many takers. biggrin.png

We don't knowingly eat horse in the UK,but they do in France where they where the Lasagne was made,and imported!

Maybe the new slogan should be "Findus we don't horse around with your Food" smile.png

• Like 1

Oh where do i start? whistling.gif

I'll have a double "Mr Ed" burger and fries

I just had a steak and my 1K run turned into several furlongs!

I dont want to beat a dead horse so i'll let others contribute biggrin.png

Bubble and Squeak, Toad in the Hole, Spotted Dick, Bangers and Mash and Hormonally Enhance Horse ... hard to choose which is most likely to cause an adverse reaction. Fortunately the British aren't known for obsessing about hygiene, personal or in food prep, so their stomachs probably have an innate immunity to things like veterinary meds & equine diseases anyway.

This is the same country that brought us the ever popular Bovine spongiform encephalopathy or at least kept it in the news.

Feel better now you have got that off your chest?

Agreed! the Company should have checked their product. But the Lasagne contract was sub contracted out to a French Firm that shipped it back into the UK.and normally knowingly we don't eat Horses.

A bit like eating Dogs in Thailand,which i'm sure no Farang could guarantee they have never had dog meat?

Good news for local family U.K butchers,consumers are voweing to return to shopping at localy sorced beef. One more nail in the coffin for the EU. The Polish manufactures of procesed beef have been buying horses from Hungry.

Enough horse play.

Pattaya mafia put a lasange in my bed.

• Like 1

Findus lasagnes may have contained horsemeat 'since August'

Findus's beef lasagne may have been contaminated with horsemeat since the summer, Labour MP Tom Watson says.

I wonder......If it had not been for the recent case re burgers how many Augusts would have gone by before The Food Standards Agency in the UK took it's finger out it's backside and discovered horse meat in lasanga?

If horse meat can bypass undetected for 6 months what else are the UK consumers eating they don't know about.?

Can't wait to here what the FSA say about imported hot dogs when they get round to checking them

Findus lasagnes may have contained horsemeat 'since August'

Findus's beef lasagne may have been contaminated with horsemeat since the summer, Labour MP Tom Watson says.

I wonder......If it had not been for the recent case re burgers how many Augusts would have gone by before The Food Standards Agency in the UK took it's finger out it's backside and discovered horse meat in lasanga?

If horse meat can bypass undetected for 6 months what else are the UK consumers eating they don't know about.?

Can't wait to here what the FSA say about imported hot dogs when they get round to checking them

What else are you eating here in Thailand,that you don't know about,Dogs for a start? or would you rather gaze in wonder at the assorted deep fried stinking insects on display in the unhygenic,fly infested unrefridgerated meat markets? can't wait for Thailand to have their own FSA,they might close down Thailand!

Some belters in here.... Please keep the horse jokes coming guys!

I read something when this initially kicked off about how some horses had been treated with some drug that can cause cancer in humans. Although they said at the time none of those horses would ever enter the food chain for humans it does make you wonder if they can make a mistake like this what else are they capable of.

No matter what the subject matter, including the deplorable standards of food processing in UK, it only takes a few posts before it's twisted into some more Thai bashing ... and as usual the bashing comes totally from the imagination of the unimaginative.

Oh, get off your pompous high horse! :D

this is nothing new,not sure was it in the 60's or 70's when the pie producers were found to be useing horse meat in those days the abattiors were not regulated,i used to buy quite a lot when i had greyhounds,france is well known for serving up hm.nothing wrong with good quality hm.if it has come from a thoroughbred when i tried some i found it dry.if it was only known what goes through the food chain,its not that long ago chkn that was dyed as not fit for human consumption was being washed in bleach and ended up on supermarket shelves,so next time you have a curry after a skinful and start kicking the mrs when you get home you will know what you have eaten.heeeee heeeeeee heeeeeeee