Best, Affordable Shipping For Belongings From Pattaya To Krabi

Hotgod

Looking to get approximately 5 cubic meters (enough to fill a good sized pickup or small cargo van) delivered from Pattaya storage to my new home in Krabi province. Delivery by 'professional' service has been quoted to me in tens of thousands of baht. Can't believe there isn't a less expensive option.

Thought about hiring somebody to mail it in chunks via LogisPost or renting a van and driving myself but it seems there must be a better way!

Any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

On the Sukhumvit road between Theprasit and Pattaya Tai (near Homeworks) you will see a variety of lorries and pick-ups parked up, plying for hire. I know several people who have used them for local removals and I expect they would be available for longer distances.

I'd suggest you take a Thai speaker with you, if you don't poot Thai yourself.

• Like 1

I just used one of these large 6 wheel trucks on Sukhumvit to move from Pattaya to Korat, but this may a bit of an overkill for 5 cubic meters, if you say a pick-up can do it.

I was charged 7000 baht, which I thought was very reasonable considering a taxi is 4000 Baht.

Given the distance to Krabi.. I am not surprised you are being quoted in the 10K's

The trick I would have thought is to find someone travelling back that way Empty, whether it be from Pattaya or even Bangkok for example.

So don't automatically start looking at firms in Pattaya..

Maybe also ask this question on the Krabi forums (if there is such a thing?)

Edit: Pattaya to Korat was 6 hours in the Truck but 4 hours in a car, Krabi is probably more like 11 hours in a Car and 16 hours in a truck.

Edited by Satcommlee
  • Like 1

I doubt anyone will give you a discount, just because they are traveling empty, and the idea that from Bkk to Pattaya to Bkk and on to Krabi would be cheap, I doubt it. Dont you have any friends with a pick-up? I would almost do it, to take in some new scenery, but my truck is a short bed. Of course could pile it up 5m high, like the Thais do it!

I doubt anyone will give you a discount, just because they are traveling empty, and the idea that from Bkk to Pattaya to Bkk and on to Krabi would be cheap, I doubt it. Dont you have any friends with a pick-up? I would almost do it, to take in some new scenery, but my truck is a short bed. Of course could pile it up 5m high, like the Thais do it!

Why do you think you wouldn't get a discount?

Why is a Taxi-meter to Pattaya from the airport 1500 Baht, but you can get a Bangkok Taxi meter from Pattaya to the Airport for only 800 Baht.

Simply because they'd rather earn some money than travel back empty.

Pattaya to Krabi 910 km return = 1820 km say pickup truck does 10 km to one ltr ..that;s 182 ltr of diesel at 29,9 baht = 5441 baht in fuel and add 20% for were and tear to vehicle = 6530 baht +...1200 baht .two day min wage for 2 works = 7730 baht + 300 baht for room over night for 2 worker =8030.baht

+ 1000 tip for a job well done with no breakages.

A quote of 10.000 doesn't seem to over the top to me .

Recently paid 13000 Baht for a 6 wheel truck (enclosed, 20ft long with hydraulic ramp in the back).

Jomtien to Kallasin, around 700km one way.

Obviously overkill for 4 cu.m., but a pick up will be underkill :P

I say just rent a truck and drive it yourself. That way it gets there safe and sound. They are only around 1300 baht per day.

5 cu.m is going to take 2 roundtrips with a pick up truck.

With proper resting thats at least 4 days (5200 Baht) and over 10,000 in diesel!

Even if getting it in one load it'll cost you around 8000 Baht.

Why do you think you wouldn't get a discount?

Why is a Taxi-meter to Pattaya from the airport 1500 Baht, but you can get a Bangkok Taxi meter from Pattaya to the Airport for only 800 Baht.

Simply because they'd rather earn some money than travel back empty.

It is 1000 if you dont pay the fool price and if you take time you will find a taxi meter who will take you for 800 to pattaya. My friend knows a taxi who charges 1500 for a return trip pattaya-bkk.

Well, if someone actually does know where they OP can get a cheaper truck, then why dont you tell him? He didnt ask for a taxi, he is looking for a truck. Seems everyone knows someone, that knows someone, that can get a good deal, but where is this someone?

Let's calculate:

Pattaya Krabi round trip: 1900km

Average diesel pickup fuel use: 15l per 100km -> 285L diesel at 30baht/l -> 8550 baht for gas

Pickup rental 3 days at 1000/day: 3000 baht

so roughly it would cost 11,550 to do it yourself

Of course it would be way cheaper with a truck running on LPG/NGV

Edited by yoslim