Long Pants Requiard To Get Drivers Licence, What The?

wildorchid

Long pants is a requirement in every government office in Thailand.

If it is a requirement....where is the signs ?....and it is obviously never enforced.

Never saw a sign sayin' I can't pee in the hallways, either.

I'm a little surprised they don't have guys renting long pants at the front door, like they rent long dresses in front of the Grand Palace.

And for those who think it's sexist to make men wear different clothes than women, I'd remind you they allow men on the beach with no top on.... Kind of evens thing out.

Do we need a sign for everything we doooooo. If so we have lost the plot eh. sad.png

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it is a requirement....where is the signs ?....and it is obviously never enforced.

I'm a little surprised they don't have guys renting long pants at the front door, like they rent long dresses in front of the Grand Palace.

And for those who think it's sexist to make men wear different clothes than women, I'd remind you they allow men on the beach with no top on.... Kind of evens thing out.

And your beach reflection is about as sensible....female and male genitals are different if you have not noticed.

To be precise, breasts do not count as genitals, so no top is required to cover the genitals of either gender.

• Like 1

I think as mentioned...those that get 'attitude' from thais for wearing shorts....usually have other issues....so, try looking a little deeper at yourselves rather than make general excuses.

I attended the Pattaya office, all documentation correct, smiling with please can you help me etc, just refused to take the doco as I was wearing shorts, but not knee length, apparently knee length is fine, but not shorter...lesson learnt for next visit - a trivial bit of information, but can save the return trip home to change clothes

Oh I see....so you wear shorts like this ...

freak-in-tight-jeans-shorts.jpg

I can understand the issue now, I would kick you lot out also with camel toes and self inflicted wedgies happening

up date yes my husband got his thai driver license today officer yesterday was not there today have so many people wear very short short and singlets and this people can make a license today and the government worker can not speak english, and make difficult for non thai, and she says

" WHO COMES WITH A FARANG, come inside and translate "

this photo is almost the same as my short but i don't have back pockets, just belt loops and zip hahaha

The previous poster would probably see things differently if turned away on 3 seperate occasions on what can only be described as a racist whim as happened last time I renewed my DL & frequently happens to others there too.

(I arrived suited and booted, with correct documents & on time!)

Edited by evadgib

The previous poster would probably see things differently if turned away on 3 seperate occasions on what can only be described as a racist whim as happened last time I renewed my DL & frequently happens to others there too.

If that had been the topic of the OP, I would have agreed emphatically. But the OP was about short pants, not skin color.

My GF does my 90 dayers and extensions for me, but, although I'm at home, I always put on a pair of long trousers, socks and sandals just so all the Poms don't have an apolexy attack at my effrontery!

If I actually go to Immigration myself, I wear a suit, tie and waistcoat, despite the weather, because that's what Poms think is appropriate.

My whole life revolves around standards set by people who can't stand to live in Britain any more themselves, but want their outdated codes of dress and living to apply everywhere.

I think as mentioned...those that get 'attitude' from thais for wearing shorts....usually have other issues....so, try looking a little deeper at yourselves rather than make general excuses.

I attended the Pattaya office, all documentation correct, smiling with please can you help me etc, just refused to take the doco as I was wearing shorts, but not knee length, apparently knee length is fine, but not shorter...lesson learnt for next visit - a trivial bit of information, but can save the return trip home to change clothes

Oh I see....so you wear shorts like this ...

freak-in-tight-jeans-shorts.jpg

I can understand the issue now, I would kick you lot out also with camel toes and self inflicted wedgies happening

It's against the rules to post pictures of fellow Thaivisa members without their permission.

We all know who this is!

• Like 1

4 pages of much to do about nothing. It's a one time deal. You learn the rules or go home. Yes, it might be a silly rule, but just follow the dress code and everything will be okay. I can certainly think of a dozen things that would speed up the Thai government office line-up problems. But, as a tourist I just have to abide by the laws... even though many Thais do NOT follow the laws..

at least we got a laugh at that silly photo of the guy in the short shorts. I think he was doing it as a spoof.

If that had been the topic of the OP, I would have agreed emphatically. But the OP was about short pants, not skin color.

In my experience the 'Trousers' rule (etc) becomes a Racist issue by virtue of the way it's applied.

Edited by evadgib

What were the reasons given for being turned away mate?

Edited by mca

In my experience the 'Trousers' rule (etc) becomes a Racist issue by virtue of the way it's applied.

I have never seen it applied against persons that were friendly and polite.

Their reasons were contradictory & nonsensical. My wife & others concluded that it was racially motivated, given the derogatory background chatter. If licencing authorities at home openly judged foreigners like that I'd have Max Clifford on speed dial:)

Edited by evadgib

I have never seen it applied against persons that were friendly and polite.

Wrong tree:)

Edited by evadgib

Yeah, it's hot here so a pair of clean, modest shorts is reasonable attire. Let people dress for the weather and turn down the AC .

It's just the bureaucratic weenies wielding their small powers.

If you are new here, and this kind of stuff bothers you , please accept this advice; whatever you do, keep it easy to leave.

... - our reaction is one of disbelief - "Really, Thailand? you've got a problem with shorts?".

Is that any different from the OP's problem with long pants?

Edited by MacChine

So you are saying you fail to see the difference between wearing shorts to long pants and peeing in their hallway ?

And your beach reflection is about as sensible....female and male genitals are different if you have not noticed.

You are one strange dude.

Good grief

Breast are not genitalia and I see plenty of gross huge sweating bouncy bare breasts around - on men. All gender specific dress codes are ridiculous.

Ok thanks just me being a bit thick,thought they might have stored a photo like they do in uk at dvla any time limit on renewal after expiry

Been a few years for me but when I renewed my 1 yr licence to the 5yr one my 1yr one had been expired for 18 months and as such had to do the theory test (as well as the usual sight/field of vision/colour blind ones but not the physical driving test). was told that if it had been expired for 12 months or less it would have been a straight up renewal. This was in Chonburi.

I just dress sharp in cases like this no need to be mistaken for white trash biggrin.png

Seriously I don't like wearing long stuff but in general I do wear it when dealing with government officials. It still is needed here to impress, I did not like it back home I don't like it here but when you are asking for a service it pays to do what is expected of you.

• Like 1

The Title of this thread is misleading... You don't need Long Trousers to get a Thai Drivers licence.

You do need long trousers to be attended to in government offices and many other places of business and professionalism where respectful attire is expected.

This issue is not about impressing anyone. It has everything to do with not being disrespectful of the institution or company you are visiting. It really is just that simple and it used to be the same way back in our home countries before the onset of social irresponsibility.

As daft as it seems, not wearing shorts, not being respectful of your surroundings etc is perhaps the very thin end of the wedge with regards to the breakdown of a civil society... The other side of that very same wedge is social disorder, muggings etc... it seems a little extreme - but I know which extreme I prefer and if it means having to follow a few seemingly silly social regulations - so be it.

The Title of this thread is misleading... You don't need Long Trousers to get a Thai Drivers licence.

You do need long trousers to be attended to in government offices and many other places of business and professionalism where respectful attire is expected.

This issue is not about impressing anyone. It has everything to do with not being disrespectful of the institution or company you are visiting. It really is just that simple and it used to be the same way back in our home countries before the onset of social irresponsibility.

As daft as it seems, not wearing shorts, not being respectful of your surroundings etc is perhaps the very thin end of the wedge with regards to the breakdown of a civil society... The other side of that very same wedge is social disorder, muggings etc... it seems a little extreme - but I know which extreme I prefer and if it means having to follow a few seemingly silly social regulations - so be it.

Deep - Very deep.......... Wear long pants when taking care of business won't hurt you.

• Like 1