Chalerm: Not A Bribe If Cops Ask For Money On Chinese New Year

webfact

Simply Amazing Thailand. It really pays to be a cop in Thailand and now the Deputy PM of Thailand has confirmed what we have known all along about corruption in the Thai Police force. I thought Yingluck was supposed to start a campaign of cleaning up corruption in her country? I guess the Deputy PM did not get that memo.

He did he actually cleaned it all up last year in his promised 90 day period Edited by chooka

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

words fail me and must do so with everyone who has common sense.

If true, this was the most unqualified comment by a person in a position like he is - ever.

This must be a slap into the face of every good cop. Yes, there are good ones and even walk the extra mile.

What a disgraceful comment he made.

It's diificult to imagine how soul-destroying and morale-denting such words from the Chief Clown must be to a good cop.

In Chalerm's own words (I can't find it again right now but he said it), good cops will be rewarded. What would this reward be? I'd bet my bottom dollar that a 'good' officer in LoS has no better chance of promotion or favour than a bad one does. In fact, the corrupt ones are rewarding themselves daily, are more likely to be in the loop as part of any old boys club and all while being sanctioned and condoned by those at the very top.

Good guys run last.

As pleasant as the thought is that most Thai police are good, and the few bad apples make all the bizarre headlines , I actually believe that concept is not true. Everything I have ever heard since I have been here is that each police position is bought, with the number thrown out of about 1 million baht.

Since their salary is around 8,000 baht per month, and they have to pay back the 1 million baht, you

can see the problem immediately....... Corruption is simply baked into the entire system

Where did you hear this, from a man in a bar? Bars are usually the places where these so called facts originate.

Your sources of information please? Bet you don`t have any? Just another load of old hogwash blowing in the wind.

My son is a policeman in Chiang Mai and he was never asked to pay any get me in money to anyone, otherwise he would never had joined and I would have also been dead against it. He has also been promoted twice and still no greasing of palms was required. What he was required to do was obtain the right degrees and prove he was suitable for the job, plus references and had to pass various physical and mental training schemes and exams before being accepted into the police force. They even checked me out just to ensure that I was of good character and completely legal here in Thailand. My wife`s nephew is also a policeman in Chiang Mai and the same goes for him. They place their lives on the line everyday and my son has told me of his experiences when he had come close to being seriously injured or killed while performing his duty. For these reasons I never wanted my son to join the police, it`s a cause of constant worry for me that one day he maybe beaten, stabbed or shot. It was my wife`s nephew that joined first and then he talked my son into it.

I acknowledge that there are some bad apples in the basket and just a few is too many, that gives the whole force a bad reputation. But it seems according to you, that my son and his cousin were one offs and you maybe surprised just how many one offs there are in the Thai police force.

Red envelopes with money inside are given to people as a mark of appreciation for Chinese New Year. They are for good luck. Our family gives one to each of our 300+ staff in the business. "Asking" or "requesting" red envelopes with money inside from people is definitely not part of Thai society & has never been a part of Thai tradition ie: unless one is a Chalern.

You can not make this crap up folks... If this was a tv show, people would laugh.. This is the Deputy Prime Minisiter of Thailand.. He's serious..

Unf***ing believable..

This would be like Joe Biden telling policeman in the US, it's ok to take bribes because it's New Years or Easter or Memorial Day.

Edited by khaowong1
  • Like 1

As pleasant as the thought is that most Thai police are good, and the few bad apples make all the bizarre headlines , I actually believe that concept is not true. Everything I have ever heard since I have been here is that each police position is bought, with the number thrown out of about 1 million baht.

Since their salary is around 8,000 baht per month, and they have to pay back the 1 million baht, you

can see the problem immediately....... Corruption is simply baked into the entire system

Where did you hear this, from a man in a bar? Bars are usually the places where these so called facts originate.

Your sources of information please? Bet you don`t have any? Just another load of old hogwash blowing in the wind.

My son is a policeman in Chiang Mai and he was never asked to pay any get me in money to anyone, otherwise he would never had joined and I would have also been dead against it. He has also been promoted twice and still no greasing of palms was required. What he was required to do was obtain the right degrees and prove he was suitable for the job, plus references and had to pass various physical and mental training schemes and exams before being accepted into the police force. They even checked me out just to ensure that I was of good character and completely legal here in Thailand. My wife`s nephew is also a policeman in Chiang Mai and the same goes for him. They place their lives on the line everyday and my son has told me of his experiences when he had come close to being seriously injured or killed while performing his duty. For these reasons I never wanted my son to join the police, it`s a cause of constant worry for me that one day he maybe beaten, stabbed or shot. It was my wife`s nephew that joined first and then he talked my son into it.

I acknowledge that there are some bad apples in the basket and just a few is too many, that gives the whole force a bad reputation. But it seems according to you, that my son and his cousin were one offs and you maybe surprised just how many one offs there are in the Thai police force.

From what I have heard, the Chief of Police for an area is paid for. In two certain tourist areas, the numbers I've been told are staggeringly high - in the hundreds of millions of Baht. Their salaries aren't 8,000 Baht per month, but it's also not 100 million per year either. Simple maths tells me that Chiefs of Police had better be earning on the side, whether it be from state corruption, criminal activity, or whatever.

To the best of my knowledge, the officers on the beat do not have to pay for their position, just for their own uniforms, vehicles and weapons.

By the way, my sources are local police, public prosecutors, village headmen and local crooks - none of which, conveniently you might say, would appreciate having this information attributed to them.

However, I can assure you that the rigorous physical and mental exams are not uniform throughout the country. I know Thai policemen with physical issues, personality disorders (very common) and with previous criminal records. In the case of police with criminal history, I presume they had to pay to get their records deleted, but I don't know for sure.

If I ever get caught with a prostitute.....yes folks, I do frequent bars that have girls of ill repute..........I may try the Chalem defence.

No your honour, it wasn't protitution, it is just Thai tradition to give money to a girl after sex.

Edited by FDog

It is obvious that many posters on this thread know nothing about Thailand’s public servant and public services infrastructure and continue to try and equate these services with those of the West.

As regarding the Thai police force, firstly, when a person joins he/she is told; there you are, you’re in, now go and catch some criminals and solve a few crimes and may the best men win.

There are simply very little resources available to them, unlike in the United States where they have the state of the art forensic sciences at their desposal, high tech computer and network communication systems, transports, top grade weaponry and crime expects all on the payroll. For example they could never make a Thai version of the series, CSI. I suggest that some of you, if interested and would like to discover the real facts for yourselves, should go and visit a few police stations and see what kind of crime fighting equipment they have to work with. In Hang Dong, Chiang Mai police station the police until recently were still working with Windows 3.1 on old antiquated computers that they had purchased themselves. Their communication equipment is almost antique and besides that there is nothing.

My son told me that last year his colleges and him were investigating a murder of a young Thai women living in a rented room. There were drugs involved and DNA plus blood samples to analyse. My son said the whole thing was a shambles and embarrassing, because they did not have the funding to carry out a thorough investigation and eventually the girl’s family gave voluntary contributions towards the investigation themselves, otherwise the police would have been at a loss to conclude the case. 7 weeks later the murderer was caught, it turned out to be a drug dealer who the girl owed money to. This was not corruption as all monies given went into the case, but desperation in order to bring a murderer to justice.

Sometimes the police don`t even have the funds to purchase writing and printing paper for their reports, ink for the printers and for other sundry expenses. You know, that many traffic police have died over the years, especially in Bangkok due to the traffic pollution, having been breathing in the fumes during their shifts.

It`s a <deleted> job only for the dedicated and many of the officers end up having to financially subsidise their everyday duties out of their own pockets and yes, some do try and scratch around or practically beg for money elsewhere, sometimes out of desperation to get the job done. Now even my son is considering leaving the force, as he feels the pressure is too great and impossible to do a good job without the resources to back him up.

And yes again, the system is to blame and not the actual staff themselves. I cannot foresee anything changing, not in my lifetime anyway.

Welcome to the third world.

Edited by Beetlejuice

As regarding the Thai police force, firstly, when a person joins he/she is told; there you are, you’re in, now go and catch some criminals and solve a few crimes and may the best men win.

I know several Thai policemen and not one of them could find their ar*e in the dark with a torch.

They are simply not interested in solving crimes. Their mandate is to trouser cash and kick upstairs so they can trouser more cash and climb the ladder.

You are living in a complete fantasy world mate.

• Like 1

It is obvious that many posters on this thread know nothing about Thailand’s public servant and public services infrastructure and continue to try and equate these services with those of the West.

There are simply very little resources available to them, unlike in the United States where they have the state of the art forensic sciences at their desposal, high tech computer and network communication systems, transports, top grade weaponry and crime expects all on the payroll. For example they could never make a Thai version of the series, CSI. I suggest that some of you, if interested and would like to discover the real facts for yourselves, should go and visit a few police stations and see what kind of crime fighting equipment they have to work with. In Hang Dong, Chiang Mai police station the police until recently were still working with Windows 3.1 on old antiquated computers that they had purchased themselves. Their communication equipment is almost antique and besides that there is nothing.

My son told me that last year his colleges and him were investigating a murder of a young Thai women living in a rented room. There were drugs involved and DNA plus blood samples to analyse. My son said the whole thing was a shambles and embarrassing, because they did not have the funding to carry out a thorough investigation and eventually the girl’s family gave voluntary contributions towards the investigation themselves, otherwise the police would have been at a loss to conclude the case. 7 weeks later the murderer was caught, it turned out to be a drug dealer who the girl owed money to. This was not corruption as all monies given went into the case, but desperation in order to bring a murderer to justice.

Sometimes the police don`t even have the funds to purchase writing and printing paper for their reports, ink for the printers and for other sundry expenses. You know, that many traffic police have died over the years, especially in Bangkok due to the traffic pollution, having been breathing in the fumes during their shifts.

It`s a <deleted> job only for the dedicated and many of the officers end up having to financially subsidise their everyday duties out of their own pockets and yes, some do try and scratch around or practically beg for money elsewhere, sometimes out of desperation to get the job done. Now even my son is considering leaving the force, as he feels the pressure is too great and impossible to do a good job without the resources to back him up.

And yes again, the system is to blame and not the actual staff themselves. I cannot foresee anything changing, not in my lifetime anyway.

So you think all the money the EXTORT from people goes directly into buying things for their work?

What does your son do with his extortion money? I guess he has plenty of ink and pens.

You need a holiday.

Edited by FDog

I wonder why the Democrats aren't making a big play about this. If you ever wanted to bash the Yingluck government for corruption, this would be the perfect time.

Why the silence from the Opposition, or have I missed something?

So you think all the money the EXTORT from people goes directly into buying things for their work?

What does your son do with his extortion money? I guess he has plenty of ink and pens.

You need a holiday.

Always know when someone is losing an argument, they become hostile and begin to get personal and right away will lose credibility.

Is this the best you can do to prove a point?

clap2.gif

Is Chinese New Year a religious tradition?

And an Indian tailor is expected to gift a Thai cop at Chinese New Year for a religious tradition that isn't?

Incredulous!

No it is barking at the moon. Like no one in particular, certainly not god, put a rock around the earth with a meaning.

Shit, we may as well celebrate mozzies around a russians ankle as though it means something in the universe.

The issue is bribe money which ex-cop Chalern says is fine for Thai policemen "to ask for" during Chinese New Year. The lack of police resources to solve cases or the absence of infrastructure to help a Thai policeman's work may be related - but is a very different topic to what is being discussed here ie: police tea-money for Chinese New Year. biggrin.png

You need a holiday.

Always know when someone is losing an argument, they become hostile and begin to get personal and right away will lose credibility.

Is this the best you can do to prove a point?

clap2.gif

Soooo, what does he do with his extortion money?

1. Either he doesn't take bribes, if so, then how come he can do it without bribes but others can't.

2. He does take them and buys things to help him do his job more competently.

So which one is it?

Really, do you think all this extortion money goes to help the police with what they do? Or just goes into the pockets for some home renovations.

Is your real name Chalem?

Edited by FDog
  • Like 2

That might the funniest thing I have ever read. Next its ok to rape someone because it was Valentines day.

We already know that if a man has dinner with a lady it is ok to beat the hell out of her and force her to have intercouse. That is not considered rape according to Tourism Minister Chumphol.

Tourism Minister Chumphol Silapa-archa had said earlier that the incident could not be considered rape. He quoted provincial tourism police chief, Pol Maj-General Loi Ingkhaphairoj as saying: "The woman had dinner with the Thai suspect and a foreign man. Later, she told the foreign man to return to the hotel before heading off with the suspect."

police asking for and or taking bribes is a tradition world wide , why should we expect the los to be any different .

Taking bribes are carried out in various ways --the way here seems to be -money taken is for the pocket -not for the inland revenue. (and this is or should be the only direct way anyone should have to pay)

I think it's incorrect to call this a bribe. It sounds more like extortion to me. Some sort of a protection racket.

It's sad when a guy like this is representing your country and there's nothing you can do about it. Kinda embarrassing.

Still.....nice car.

Nice car, gay color.rolleyes.gif

I don't know... it's the color of cars the Mary Kay salesladies drive her in the US.. biggrin.png Of course you'll never catch their husbands driving it.. laugh.png

• Like 1

I'm wondering.....Does Chalerm say something like this assuming that the public is stupid enough to believe him because he has some authoritative ranking and he's pulling a power trip....or......is it something he really believes???

either way, there have been some real boneheaded politicians accross the globe that have said some ridiculous things in the past...but the consistancy that this schmuck exhibits in what pours out of his mouth is beyond belief

I'm wondering.....Does Chalerm say something like this assuming that the public is stupid enough to believe him because he has some authoritative ranking and he's pulling a power trip....or......is it something he really believes???

either way, there have been some real boneheaded politicians accross the globe that have said some ridiculous things in the past...but the consistancy that this schmuck exhibits in what pours out of his mouth is beyond belief

Yep.. definately expects his words to be believed.. only reason any of these politicians would say half the things they do! Total contempt for their own citizens.. and anybody else!!!