Do You Give Up Sit For Elderly While On Public Transportation?

upinthesky

I give up my seat to a monk so they don't have to sit next to a woman.

tongue.png so you can sit next to her.

Whatever but a monk can't touch a woman. I assume you know this and are kidding.

Of course i know this, but i am just reading your mind because presumably your sitting next to guys. Anyway for me i don't understand why monks should have it easy. Old monks sure.. young ones can stand like the rest of us.

Besides I don't have much faith in monks with all the scandals here about them. Its worse then the Christians though they are not as much in young boys. Just in money and worldly possessions.

Whatever but a monk can't touch a woman. I assume you know this and are kidding.

Of course the CAN touch a woman...they don't want to. Elderly people might can't stand well anymore. They really can't.

Of course the CAN touch a woman...they don't want to. Elderly people might can't stand well anymore. They really can't.

Interesting admission about either not knowing much about Thai culture or demeaning it. I understand.

What would a Thai say? There is a difference. I think a monk can't touch a woman. You think they can but choose not to.

Elderly people can stand but with pain. A monk can touch a woman but with spiritual pain. Both are pain.

I would never give up a seat for a Monk, I would for an ole codger or a preggy woman.

I guess I just read the signs on the BTS that say priority seats for Monks /shrug

I would stand for a monk only if he was old or infirm. I think that the orange clad variety get far too much form the public already.

It's been my experience that the Thai children are very polite and always give their seat to the elderly. Toddlers are pulled onto their parents lap when adults need their seat.

Many times I've given my seat to big fat men who need to sit down more than I do. I don't mind hanging onto the railing on the back of an over crowded songthow. Fortunately, I'm young and healthy. I have an elderly farang friend who does the same, but he is also fit and healthy.

Written on the windows of the seats just behind the doors midway down the Bangkok buses are the rules saying which seats are reserved for monks, the old and pregnant ladies.

The monks sit next to the window on the first seat behind the door to prevent any brushing against women whilst getting on and off.

In my experience Thai people nearly always give their seat immediately to pregnant ladies and kids.For the elderly, if someone looks old or 'struggling', then again they will give them their seat,but if a spritely 75 year old bounds onto the bus he'll probably be left standing.

I have no problem giving up my seat for the elderly or a pregnant woman, however, I allow the younger children to stand while I sit.

I remember one time where a woman with two kids and several bags of groceries was taking up a bunch of seats on a bus. It looked like she was having a tough time just trying to keep her kids calm. However, she pulled one of her kids onto her lap and the groceries in hand and on her other child's lap so I could have a seat. I felt guilty, but I did take the seat offered to me.

This brings up a pet peeve of mine. One crowded train/bus, if there is a seat available in front of you, sit in it, don't stand in front of it. If you are standing in front of it, you are effectively taking up two spaces since no one else can elbow their way through the crowd to sit at the seat.

Of course, should do this in any country. Although in Thailand, giving up seats for young children is as important in the thai mindset.

I find it a strange mindset as most young children can either sit on the lap of their mom or have enough stamina to stand. But ok different views.

I sat on a bus for a one hour 30 k journey, a Thai man in his forties gave up his seat to a young girl age about thirteen.he then stood for the full journey for a full hour. Thai mentality indeed.

When you reach my age, there are few elders to give a seat to. But I do enjoy seeing the looks on fellow passenger, when I offer my seat to a lady or someone who seems more needy than myself.

It is surprising how many nice conversations you can get into after a small display of courtesy.

+1

David

At a wedding recently I served the mother of the bride (a bit of a non smiling dragon lady, sitting alone) rice. Oh boy did we get spoiled that night when we went to visit. I have the impression that Thais have absolutely no education as far as common courtesies are concerned. They are nice enough but they don't learn about thank you, sorry, stuff like that.

Of course, should do this in any country. Although in Thailand, giving up seats for young children is as important in the thai mindset.

I find it a strange mindset as most young children can either sit on the lap of their mom or have enough stamina to stand. But ok different views.

This is part of the Thai (Asian) system of Social Debt. In such a system, it is preferable that the debt be generated at early in a person's life as is possible. I don't agree or disagree with the practice, and did find it odd when I first moved here.

Could have something to do as well with the way Thais generally coddle children.

To answer the question, no, I don't give my seat up to anyone. Someone else can do it. I work hard.

Edited by PaullyW

Interesting admission about either not knowing much about Thai culture or demeaning it. I understand.

What would a Thai say? There is a difference. I think a monk can't touch a woman. You think they can but choose not to.

Elderly people can stand but with pain. A monk can touch a woman but with spiritual pain. Both are pain.

spiritual pain???

Most of the monks are just a short time from 1 week to a couple of month monks. Touch women before and after and many play all the time video games while monks.

Of course there are real serious monks, specially the older ones. But from my staff people be monk for 1 month but come back after 2 weeks because of narcotics, small crimes, can't pay back the bets, have problems with the girl friend....etc etc..

The are the same as before but in orange clothes.

And how many of the real serious monks take the skytrain to Panthip placa to buy some games anyway? The mostly stay in the temple and if they need to travel the deserve a seat. But it is not the funny group of 18 year old "monks"

spiritual pain???

Most of the monks are just a short time from 1 week to a couple of month monks. Touch women before and after and many play all the time video games while monks.

Of course there are real serious monks, specially the older ones. But from my staff people be monk for 1 month but come back after 2 weeks because of narcotics, small crimes, can't pay back the bets, have problems with the girl friend....etc etc..

And how many of the real serious monks take the skytrain to Panthip placa to buy some games anyway? The mostly stay in the temple and if they need to travel the deserve a seat. But it is not the funny group of 18 year old "monks"

It is not difficult to tell the difference. Having said that it is not the person but the cloth that is to be respected.

This is part of the Thai (Asian) system of Social Debt. In such a system, it is preferable that the debt be generated at early in a person's life as is possible. I don't agree or disagree with the practice, and did find it odd when I first moved here.

Could have something to do as well with the way Thais generally coddle children.

To answer the question, no, I don't give my seat up to anyone. Someone else can do it. I work hard.

It would be nice if you told the old and infirm that you are from Canada when they are standing there swaying back and forth about to fall off the Song Tau.

spiritual pain???

It is not difficult to tell the difference. Having said that it is not the person but the cloth that is to be respected.

hardly I saw clothes coming without person in it.....Hope you figure out what nonsense you write.

If I take orange colored clothes, no matter what ugly healthy guy I am, you must jump up and give me the seat??

spiritual pain???

hardly I saw clothes coming without person in it.....Hope you figure out what nonsense you write.

If I take orange colored clothes, no matter what ugly healthy guy I am, you must jump up and give me the seat??

Sorry I thought you would understand the reference that the rest of the world understands. It is the monk and the priest and the minister or man of the cloth and the institution that should be respected and not the individual. As a child when I pointed out to my mother all the faults of the local priest she always told me it is the church that is to be respected no matter how bad the priest. So I am saying that you (or a person who has a clue about Thai culture) respect the baby Monk as well as the normal Monk. It is not that you are showing respect to that one person but Buddhism as a whole.

I always give up my seat for the elderly or pregnant ladies.

I was bought up with good manners. I don't care if other people in this country don't do it. I'll always remember what my Mother taught me and try to follow tat example. I'm not going to stop doing something because other's aren't doing it.

As for the children thing, I never understood that. I always assumed the kid could sit on the parent/guardian's knee or something.

• Like 1

This is one of those threads that expect people to actually be honest regarding whether they do the right thing or not most of the time. Sure I'll bite: Yes, I always give up my seat for the elderly while on public transport!

But seriously, I've ridden the skytrain a few times (as well as subways all over the world) and it's usually "every man for himself." Occasionally a random person would give up his/her seat, but I'd imagine that folks who use public transport every single day wouldn't necessary do that all the time....would they? I can't speak of buses as I haven't ridden one in about 20 years, but it seems that most people would just prefer to mind their own business. But if someone were seriously struggling, whether due to health, age, baggage, pregnancy, etc., most Thais would extend a helping hand.

As for me personally, I'm usually courteous in public life....except when I'm not.

I find it is the young people that will give up a seat for the elderly or infirm and it is the males aged 25-50 that are oblivious.

I have gotten a few stares when I give up my seat on the BTS and I stare right back. Nothing gives me greater joy than my demonstration of manners and compassion. I hope they feel embarassed and squirm when the bad farang shows them up for being selfish <deleted>.

No I'm afraid most don't 'feel bad' at all. I often chuckle at the way a woman and her three kids will rush on the BTS to grab seats, without any thought of giving up a seat. Just once I was offered a seat by a youngster, who was pushed by his mother and I could see that sulky 'I'm about to throw a wobbly' look on his face. So, I merely said (in Thai), "no thank you, he looks like he needs it more than me".