I Wear My Wallet In My Front Pocket...

ivan96822

Was walking back from club insomnia toward soi 4 and sukhumvit at about 4:30 am and was preparing to have some hard liquor and playing connect four at the bar cart before calling it a night...

As i crossed soi 8, before nana bts, 4 pirahna free lancers / bar girls started rubbing on me and giving me some undivided attention in the lonely hour. At one point, one clearly thought she would capitalize on a "drunken falang" wallet, but lo! I had it concealed in my front pocket!

I gave said robber a roger moore style shove, told them to back off, and proceeded to the game of connect four at the bar cart...

It gave me some resolve that the deaf street vendor selling counterfeit goods gave me a solemn nod of the head, a thumbs up, and in general, seemed to approve of my assertive position as the not-that-drunk falang.

That said: do you carry your wallet in your front pocket in Sukhumvit? If so, why? If not, explain!

• Like 1

Ummm.... them piranha freelancer bar girs were blokes.

Bloody noobs on the pish again!

Yeah, they were almost definitely ladyboys. That's not a female freelancer scam around Sukh. The OP should also be careful with the pushing stuff, wallet-snatching attempt or no...it's best to just get away from those guys as fast as possible; don't let their "womanly" appearance fool you, they started life off as Thai males (and have the muscles to prove it), almost certainly studied Muay Thai, fight in packs, and will beat the fuc_k out of you if provoked...

A slim wallet is usually kept in my back pocket. That gets moved to a front pocket as soon as I enter a busy area, hot crime area, walking the streets, or in the tourist areas.

i.e. if I go to MBK or take a busy sky train I'll automatically place the wallet in my front pocket, its habit.

But if I am driving around or go to a friends house etc.. the wallet stays in my back pocket where its more comfortable.

I also notice myself naturally taking other protective measures:

i.e.

Always walking on the road side of my wife.

In a busy area having her carry her handbag between us.

Always letting my Wife go before me so I can see anything that happens.

Each and every time I brush someone my hand automatically checks for the wallet and phone (Edit: My wallet and phone not theirs !! wink.png )

In the past I've caught two pick-pocketers... Both women...

Once in Barcelona - two women approach me in the street and put their arms around me. I was carrying cash only, I was alert to the game or thought I was. Automatically I checked my pocket, I was surprised to find her hand (fingers) already dipping !!... I took her wrist, twisted her arm and took my cash back. She protested a little so I twisted her arm a little stronger and said - "Sorry, no thank you", the two girls walked off.

Once in Prague - Late at night, drunk, walking home in the early hours. A woman started walking with me and struck up a conversation. She tried to put her arm around me but too obviously went for my back pocket. I stopped her and told her to get lost.

I've never been successfully pick-pocketed: But there is always a first time.

Edited by richard_smith237

Many many years ago a mate of mine had back pain.....to cut a long story short, the cause of the pain was put down to him carrying his wallet in his back pocket. When he was seated, the wallet tilted his hip and over time pinched a nerve and caused the pain.

Since then I have always carried my wallet in my front pocket for that reason.

Now after being a little older and maybe a little wiser, I find the habit useful when in crowded areas. As for going out, I have a smaller wallet with just cash and leave the important wallet at home or locked up.....but always carried in front pocket.

Cheers.

• Like 1

There is a gang of four lady boys (and credible ones) operating under the footbridges - normally near Soi 25 catching farangs walking towards Soi 27 / 22 the tactics are exactly as described. They are quite dangerous and have knives (as I was later to be told).

I have seen them in action twice - once on me when walking back to Soi27 where I lived as bangkok newbie. I intercepted the wrist of one of them who had miraculously grabbed a small bill wad and a credit card out of my pocket. I was very lucky to get away with the recovered bills using sort a twisting move ending on the road ( I was relatively new to Bangkok at the time and have learned to avoid wallets and using back pockets).

The second time I was following someone (who turned out to be a tipsy English guy who was walking from Cowboy the opposite way to his hotel along Sukhumvit) at virtually the same location I has been done) and saw them in action exactly as you describe - I yelled the guy - who really did not know what was going on - but they were too quick and got away with his wallet. The lead offending lady boy was wearing a distinctive red dress net net - The Boys in Brown in less than 40 minutes had rounded up no less than 4 red dressed lady boys - in time for myself as witness and The young English boy to be making statements at Tong Lor Police Station... The police were taking great delight in making them all strip off to the undies - with the usual crime reporting TV cameras filming everything. Each of the 4 denied any involvement vehemently (of which 3 had just reason). But ended up in a supposed impasse of the BIB not knowing which one dunnit and they were about to release them all.....but the English Boy however was wearing vital evidence as to which one did it on his upper arm in the form of smudged Blue glitter... which lady boy # 3 was also wearing and had partially missing on one side of her shoulder. The culprit or was that culpritess then buckled and told the police where the discarded wallet might have been.

The biys wallet was recovered near Soi 18. (less money) - but with other important stuff in tact (namely the phone number of a hottie he had met that night). I was just amazed at how quickly the BIB had acted - but quite embarrassed to see my face in Channel 3 News round up in the morning along with the English Boy and line up of 4 red partially dressed ladyboys in the police station.. as there was no real detailed explanation those at work assumed I had been involved in something that was a little walk on the debaucherous wild side..

There is a gang of four lady boys (and credible ones) operating under the footbridges - normally near Soi 25 catching farangs walking towards Soi 27 / 22 the tactics are exactly as described. They are quite dangerous and have knives (as I was later to be told).

I have seen them in action twice - once on me when walking back to Soi27 where I lived as bangkok newbie. I intercepted the wrist of one of them who had miraculously grabbed a small bill wad and a credit card out of my pocket. I was very lucky to get away with the recovered bills using sort a twisting move ending on the road ( I was relatively new to Bangkok at the time and have learned to avoid wallets and using back pockets).

The second time I was following someone (who turned out to be a tipsy English guy who was walking from Cowboy the opposite way to his hotel along Sukhumvit) at virtually the same location I has been done) and saw them in action exactly as you describe - I yelled the guy - who really did not know what was going on - but they were too quick and got away with his wallet. The lead offending lady boy was wearing a distinctive red dress net net - The Boys in Brown in less than 40 minutes had rounded up no less than 4 red dressed lady boys - in time for myself as witness and The young English boy to be making statements at Tong Lor Police Station... The police were taking great delight in making them all strip off to the undies - with the usual crime reporting TV cameras filming everything. Each of the 4 denied any involvement vehemently (of which 3 had just reason). But ended up in a supposed impasse of the BIB not knowing which one dunnit and they were about to release them all.....but the English Boy however was wearing vital evidence as to which one did it on his upper arm in the form of smudged Blue glitter... which lady boy # 3 was also wearing and had partially missing on one side of her shoulder. The culprit or was that culpritess then buckled and told the police where the discarded wallet might have been.

The biys wallet was recovered near Soi 18. (less money) - but with other important stuff in tact (namely the phone number of a hottie he had met that night). I was just amazed at how quickly the BIB had acted - but quite embarrassed to see my face in Channel 3 News round up in the morning along with the English Boy and line up of 4 red partially dressed ladyboys in the police station.. as there was no real detailed explanation those at work assumed I had been involved in something that was a little walk on the debaucherous wild side..

I was there and you were not.

The fact of the matter is that I wanted to tell the forum about an interesting incident that occurred, yet a few members who have latent ideas about ladyboys continue to put in their two cents about something that they were not involved in.

If they are about five feet tall, with natural looking bodies and arms, I know what sex they are (such was the case of these would-be robbers).

If they are skinny as a rail, with knobby shoulders and ridiculous make-up, I can take a stab at what they are, too...

Besides, the deaf street vendor who sells counterfeit goods close to Soi 6 and Sukhumvit can back me up in my tale of woe.

• Like 1

I can't carry my wallet in my front pocket. there's simply no room as I have a very large piece of equipment filling the front side of my trousers.

That said, I also do not run around the streets at night in a state of drunkeness.

very large piece of equipment

Your penis enlarger ??

The fact of the matter is that I wanted to tell the forum about an interesting incident that occurred, yet a few members who have latent ideas about ladyboys continue to put in their two cents about something that they were not involved in.

If they are about five feet tall, with natural looking bodies and arms, I know what sex they are (such was the case of these would-be robbers).

If they are skinny as a rail, with knobby shoulders and ridiculous make-up, I can take a stab at what they are, too...

Besides, the deaf street vendor who sells counterfeit goods close to Soi 6 and Sukhumvit can back me up in my tale of woe.

OK, OK.... so you can tell the boys from the girls, big deal.

But the real big boys don't play connect-4, even the pished up ones.

You mean the deaf-mute street vendor would testify on your behalf? That will be something to watch... literaly.

• Like 1

OK, OK.... so you can tell the boys from the girls, big deal.

But the real big boys don't play connect-4, even the pished up ones.

You mean the deaf-mute street vendor would testify on your behalf? That will be something to watch... literaly.

Nothing is wrong with Connect Four at five in the morning with a nice glass of hard liquor.

Buy a couple of cheap plastic wallets, 4 or 5 if you like, must be what 20 baht each, fill them with a few old business cards and other assorted crap you don't want and stick it in your back pocket when you're walking home. If it gets lifted you still have your cash in your front pocket, or if it it gets bad and someone pulls a knife or whatever on you and asks for your wallet slowly take it out and drop it on the road and walk away. They won't check it until they are well out of the way and you should be well clear by the time they know.

Lived in Chicago for a while by the way

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

Ivan... Sounds like they could have been a gang of four naturally good looking, nicely armed ladies impersonating the knobbly shouldered lady boy gang - but stranger things have happened. Good warning though....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...