Taxis Are The Worst Drivers In Bangkok

flashysite

I've notice many accidents in bangkok, and most of them involving taxis with other vehicles, and sometimes both happened to be taxis.

I had 2 minor accident, both with taxis. I've been on a few of them, and had one minor accident.

Any of you guys have the same thought or experience?

• Like 1

Really, no you must be new here, they are very careful and considerate, world class Id say.

Hitting minors is never good although I do think sometimes they deserve it, a good beating never hurt anyone.

Edited by rattler

Well I ride my bike from my place into town I find Taxis in most part to be some of the best. When they are close together and you can't fit between they go out of their way to move so you can pass. The ones that kill me and don't ever look when driving are the Public Vans. Those guys will cut anyone off.

• Like 2

I've had 3 accidents in Thailand (over + 10 years driving here).. One of them was with a taxi. I was stationary and he reversed out of a car park straight into the side of me. He simply didn't look ! (my car was a big 4x4, impossible to miss !!)...

That said - it taxis are the most common vehicle on the road then it stands to reason that they will be involved in the most accidents - its a statistical certainty.

So if taxi's take up 5 % of the vehicles in Bangkok, are they involved in 5% or more of the accidents ? That's the only fair way to judge this.

I agree though - a lot of them drive like nutters...

• Like 1

Agreed with robblok; van drivers are worse. I find it that much more repugnant too, because they are holding the lives of more passengers in their hands but still drive that way. Can't count the number of times I've been following traffic on the highway at 120 with a van about 2" away from my rear bumper.

Edited by dave111223
  • Like 2

On a bike i really have to watch those van and even in a car they cut you off block the road often double park block bus stops ect. They are a menace, a 4 lane road near a bustop near my home often get reduced to a 1 or if lucky 2 lane road because of taxi's and vans stopping + the bus. Only during rush hour do the police their job sending those vans quickly on their way. I believe vans and taxis are responsible for loads of traffic problems. There should be places for them where they can stop but not hold up traffic (yes i can dream)

• Like 1

Considering the number of vehicles in an already crowded city not designed for heavy traffic I would rate the taxis just average in Bangkok. In fact I've had some pretty good ones. However, when things are that crowded then everyone tries to get through it as best they can. Just sitting in traffic using up fuel cuts into a taxi drivers profit margin. It's only natural that they don't drive as we would LIKE them to drive.

I also agree with others about the van drivers. I hate them with a passion for no other reason than they don't give way even if they are coming at you in YOUR lane. It is more noticeable on the open highways where they use their aggressive driving to force motorcyclists into the ditch, or tailgate just inches off your tail light. And, when they are traveling in convoys they are REALLY bad.

Taxi drivers worldwide tend to be inconsiderate and dangerous drivers. Look at what's driving the vehicle.

The exception are the professional black cabs in the Uk. Those folks are skilled and knowledgeable.

Yes, only in the UK.

blink.png

Scoff if you wish, however, I draw your attention to the London and Suburban taxi license requirements;

- Knowledge of London Written Examination ( for city permit)

- Knowledge of London Written Examination (for All London & Suburban permit))

- DSA Hackney Carriage driving Test

- Wheel chair test

- Medical fitness exam - Criminal background check

- Reference check

Do you think any of this is done for Bangkok taxis? There is a scandal going on in Toronto, Canada now where there are convicted criminals and sex offenders employed by taxi companies because no one does any background checks and the taxi companies won't verify driving records. Women are coming forward with sexual assault complaints. Big cities like LA and NYC do not have the same standards as even a piddly smudge of a town in the UK.

Sorry, but the UK sets the standard with the London system recognized as the best in the world. Those drivers with their knowledge and standards are professionals and one is safe in their hands. (I am not refering to the private driver hire firms, but bonafide real taxi services.) I think all one needs to qualify as a taxi or tuk tuk driver in Phuket is to be a thug. On the other hand, the taxis and tuk tuks in Hua Hin are decent. I haven't had any yabba ripped drivers, or speed demons. No hassles. After years of the Patong experience, I wondered if I was still in Thailand. My tuk tuk drivers in Udon Thani are clm people too. The independent taxis from aerodrome on the other hand are a bit like Phuket except not as thieving.

Taxi drivers worldwide tend to be inconsiderate and dangerous drivers. Look at what's driving the vehicle.

The exception are the professional black cabs in the Uk. Those folks are skilled and knowledgeable.

Yes, only in the UK.

blink.png

Scoff if you wish, however, I draw your attention to the London and Suburban taxi license requirements;

- Knowledge of London Written Examination ( for city permit)

- Knowledge of London Written Examination (for All London & Suburban permit))

- DSA Hackney Carriage driving Test

- Wheel chair test

- Medical fitness exam - Criminal background check

- Reference check

Do you think any of this is done for Bangkok taxis? There is a scandal going on in Toronto, Canada now where there are convicted criminals and sex offenders employed by taxi companies because no one does any background checks and the taxi companies won't verify driving records. Women are coming forward with sexual assault complaints. Big cities like LA and NYC do not have the same standards as even a piddly smudge of a town in the UK.

Sorry, but the UK sets the standard with the London system recognized as the best in the world. Those drivers with their knowledge and standards are professionals and one is safe in their hands. (I am not refering to the private driver hire firms, but bonafide real taxi services.) I think all one needs to qualify as a taxi or tuk tuk driver in Phuket is to be a thug. On the other hand, the taxis and tuk tuks in Hua Hin are decent. I haven't had any yabba ripped drivers, or speed demons. No hassles. After years of the Patong experience, I wondered if I was still in Thailand. My tuk tuk drivers in Udon Thani are clm people too. The independent taxis from aerodrome on the other hand are a bit like Phuket except not as thieving.

I was making a statement to your entire post. I do indeed believe the taxi drivers in London are great. But there are many places ----"worldwide" ---- where taxi drivers are every bit as qualified and capable. Tokyo and Portland come to mind. Just not BKK, though I've had some wonderful drivers here, too.

The best taxi driver I ever rode with in Bkk was 75yrs.old. The old guys know every short cut, and you can have a nice conversation on the way.

Enjoyed a ride with a guy who had a toplight from New York on his BKK cab. He was in his 60's, and talked liked a cowboy, saying pardner and pilgrim.

Told me his name was John Wayne.

I still call him when I'm in BKK and need to go somewhere distant. Very entertaining.

• Like 1

Songthaew drivers are way worse. Complete @#$#$ disregard for the lights, or driving on the wrong side of the road. Anything to get through that intersection, and the @#$#$ traffic cop just watches them do it.

Edited by Crushdepth
  • Like 1

Songthaew drivers are way worse. Complete @#$#$ disregard for the lights, or driving on the wrong side of the road. Anything to get through that intersection, and the @#$#$ traffic cop just watches them do it.

Hey, that's what the cop gets paid to do!

As others have said Minivan and motorbike taxis are appalling, taxi drivers bad, bus drivers would probably be even worse if they could accelerate and pull out quicker. Song taews as said above just slam their brakes on in front of you and block the road when someone pushes the bell.

Is it any surprise though as most are drunks who have never been taught how to drive or really much regard for other people ? 6 whiskies isn't considered drinking. Your not drunk until you fall over. Nothing will change until the Police a lot of the populations thinking does.

The best taxi driver I ever rode with in Bkk was 75yrs.old. The old guys know every short cut, and you can have a nice conversation on the way.

Enjoyed a ride with a guy who had a toplight from New York on his BKK cab. He was in his 60's, and talked liked a cowboy, saying pardner and pilgrim.

I still call him when I'm in BKK and need to go somewhere distant. Very entertaining.

Sadly, the good old days are slipping away.

Sadly, the good old days are slipping away.

Never to be seen again, except in black and white.

In general, most Thais have bad driving skills but to be honest I´m not so sure I would give first prize to the taxi drivers. I would rather give it to the song teaw driver or the bus drivers... Sunday amateurs who flush down yaba with some redbull everytime they have to hit the heavy trafficated streets.