Officer In Pistorius Case Facing 7 Attempted Murder Charges

webfact

Police: Officer in Pistorius case facing 7 attempted murder charges

JOHANNESBURG: (AFP) -- The lead detective in the Oscar Pistorius murder case is himself facing seven attempted murder charges for shooting at a taxi in 2009 to try to stop it, police said Thursday.

newsjs

"We were only informed yesterday that attempted murders charges against Hilton Botha have been reinstated," said police spokesman Neville Malila.

Malila said the charges were initially brought against investigating officer Botha in 2009, but later withdrawn.

It is not clear whether he will continue working on the case.

On Wednesday, Botha's evidence came under scrutiny from Pistorius' defence team, forcing him to admit to multiple errors in the case, including not wearing protective clothing when attending to the athlete's house, where the shooting happened.

Under cross-examination, Botha was forced to admit that Pistorius's version of the early morning shooting last Thursday fitted the crime scene, weakening the state's claim that the killing was premeditated.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-02-21

Detective leading Oscar Pistorius murder case is facing SEVEN attempted murder charges after alleged 'drunken shooting'

Warrant officer Hilton Botha will face seven charges of attempted murder

Alleged incident occurred in 2009 and involved two other officers

Accused of opening fire while drunk on a taxi containing seven passengers

Police confirmed charges and said he is 'innocent until proven guilty'

Despite allegations he will remain in charge of Oscar Pistorius murder case

He was first officer at the house where Reeva Steenkamp was shot dead

By DAVID WILLIAMS, CHIEF REPORTER, MARIO LEDWITH and MARTIN ROBINSON

The detective leading the Oscar Pistorius case is himself charged with seven counts of attempted murder after allegedly opening fire on a taxi full of people while drunk, it emerged today.

Hilton Botha, whose performance during the athlete's bail hearing drew laughter yesterday, is accused of shooting at the vehicle along with two other officers.

But despite confirming the charges, South African police maintained today that Warrant Officer Botha would still lead the case of Pistorius - who is accused of murdering 29-year-old girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

Botha is said to be devastated about the charges, denies he was drunk and insists he was chasing murder suspect at time

During the alleged incident, said to date back to 2009, the three officers opened fire on a mini-bus taxi containing seven passengers while apparently drunk and in a state-owned vehicle.

The three were arrested in 2011, according to reports.

Charges against the officer, who has been a policeman for 24 years, were initially dropped before dramatically being reinstated yesterday.

Full story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2282087/Oscar-Pistorius-detective-Hilton-Botha-facing-SEVEN-attempted-murder-charges-drunken-shooting.html

-- Daily Mail 2013-02-21

I am just curious. Do you folks think that

a. Pistorius is telling the truth about that night

b. He committed premeditated murder

c. He committed manslaughter

I have a feeling that most people are guessing 'b' or 'c', as of now. My guess is 'c'.

Edited by JemJem

I somehow think this is getting whitewashed. If accidental, this is one of the biggest bone head moves ever. He apparently moved body from bathroom so difficult say what she was doing at the time she was shot. Always going to hear more of defense theory than prosecution through media. I am inclined to believe dude suffered a bit of insecurity due to his issues and with such a hot babe. Guns are a really permanent solution to many temporary problems.

I heard judge a but this morning and his grand standing. Never a good sign when judges' get into this mode in high profile cases. Had to leave before bail announcement though.

I was amazed to find out South African does not have the jury system . So a single judge will decide whether he is guilty or not. I wonder how much corruption they have?. The more this case unfolds, particularly with the scandal around the lead detective their system looks a bit shambolic.

As soon as it came out about the detective, I thought it odd that he was assigned the leading role.

I agree. What is really odd is that the charges were from an incident four years ago which were initially dropped, then reinstated the day before the Pistorius bail hearing. Very fishy. Pistorius's version of events beggars belief. What sort of burglar goes to the bathroom to take a leak before robbing the place. He thought his girlfriend was still in bed despite her being dressed when she was shot. Of course we all get dressed first when we get up in the early hours to go to the toilet! A neighbour stated that he heard screams after the first shot, then three more shots. Pistorius is lying his ass off. But he will probably get away with it because of who he is. Shades of O J Simpson.

• Like 2

Didn't take long until Oscar became the victim. The woman is still dead, but well, shit happens. Shame Oscar isn't black, that would even look better. Botha isn't a very common name, probably related to the last SA apartheid prime minister.