Is There Anyway To Pay Lower Rate For Utility Bill For House?

I understand there are 2 types of rate, one is for the thai, and the other is for company. I went to the water company in Pattaya and was told for a thai company in a foreign name as director, you can't get the thai rate, I even told him the company was not conducting any business, but was told unless the director was changed to a thai name, does anyone have a better way to do it right?

Has nothing to do with Thai/Foreign ownership.

A company (regardless of shareholders/directors) pays a commercial rate for water, a house in private name will pay the domestic rate.

The only way to pay domestic rate is sell the property out of the company and register it in a private person's name...

This works exactly the same for Thais or foreigners.

• Like 1

A company (regardless of shareholders/directors) pays a commercial rate for water, a house in private name will pay the domestic rate.

The only way to pay domestic rate is sell the property out of the company and register it in a private person's name...

So, even the director of the company is a thai, the company still pays the commercial rate right? But the water company staff told me differently, does anyone have a different experience?

Edited by Cobrabiker

So, even the director of the company is a thai, the company still pays the commercial rate right? But the water company staff told me differently, does anyone have a different experience?

Correct. Nothing to do with being a foreigner.

Thai people do not put houses in company names, they'd be silly to do so.

Pretty much all buildings owned by 100% Thai companies are actually commercial properties such as small factories, restaurants, etc...

Hence commercial rates for watwr!

I'm not sure the PEA charges differently for meters in a company name. They do have different rates, but as far as I know they are based on the real life situation and not on what entity the meter is registered to.

Unfortunately they have just upgraded their website, and as usual in Thailand they went live with the new site before all info is in there. They used to have a very clear list of the prices for all the different types of users/meters they have, but can't find it now.

I'm not sure the PEA charges differently for meters in a company name. They do have different rates, but as far as I know they are based on the real life situation and not on what entity the meter is registered to.

Unfortunately they have just upgraded their website, and as usual in Thailand they went live with the new site before all info is in there. They used to have a very clear list of the prices for all the different types of users/meters they have, but can't find it now.

PEA Automatically charges more for a three phase supply unless you tell them it is for a domestic residence and not a business. A quick call sorts it out.

Just remember that if you are applying for water in Pattaya your company status must be current . Which means that whoever does your yearly accounting will provide you with a form for around 1,000 THB that shows that your company is legal and up to date. Without this form Pattaya water company will not accept your water service application

This rule does not apply if you are applying for temporary water during construction. Then you only need your building permit

Just remember that if you are applying for water in Pattaya your company status must be current . Which means that whoever does your yearly accounting will provide you with a form for around 1,000 THB that shows that your company is legal and up to date. Without this form Pattaya water company will not accept your water service application

This rule does not apply if you are applying for temporary water during construction. Then you only need your building permit

Bought this house with existing company, so everything carry over, and the utility was registered in company's name, so I guess nothing much can be done.