New 500 Thb Bank Note?

elektrified

A photo might help.

I read it is illegal to scan and post images of Thai currency.

SERIOUSLY? I see idiots (Thais) doing this all the time on FESS BOOOK! You'd think they'd know their own laws... oh wait. How stupid of me. Of course not!

Can someone provide a link to the law that EXPLICITLY states this?? I'd love to administer some anti-idiot vaccine online.

Oh wait... SCANs are one thing... how about pictures??

Bank of Thailand Copyright Act B.E. 2537

The photos of banknotes on the website are not reproductions of actual banknotes and they have dummy serial numbers. i.e. 999999999

Edited by tropo

The photos of banknotes on the website are not reproductions of actual banknotes and they have dummy serial numbers. i.e. 999999999

Note this part though - reproduction or adaptation;

Yeah, and they are represented on official websites too.... adaptations.

They're breaking their own laws?

I think having representations on the internet is important, so the public can ascertain whether they're holding real currency or fake currency - particularly when new notes are issued.

How many times have you been handed a new note and thought - what's this?

Edited by tropo

I use to be an avid coin and note collector, but over the years i have stopped collecting and only have a few coins left and a lot of notes from around the world, but do not have some of these notes. Too bad as I am no longer interested in the hobby, but if I were would very much like to have some of those notes.

If it is illegal to scan or reproduce by other means, Thai currency, which it is, then isn't Thaivisa.com in serious breach of the law by publishing, ie distributing, those reproductions?

There are numerous sites, including eBay, local currency dealers, Bangkok auctions, etc as well as books published all showing Thai banknotes.

Even the Bank of Thailand has a complete set of notes on the Internet: http://www.bot.or.th/English/Banknotes/HistoryANdSeriesOfBanknotes/Pages/Banknote_Series15.aspx

It's illegal to reproduce a note in an attempt to pass it off as genuine currency.

Took a lot of scrolling, but finally I found the sensible comment.

Edited by aboctok

Normally with the "SPECIMEN" anotation over it it's no problem and no or less risk of counterfeit copy !

But because of the King picture on the note it's a "sacred holy" picture also you cannot make anything bad against it as walk on it or tear it up or worst burn it !

But the actual change is the new signature on the note: http://www.banknotenews.com/files/4fd377220dec13814f27ac9e027f74d3-2321.php

Edited by Westaurel

I always wondered why Thailand copied the Monopoly game and it's money colors. Anyone have the answer to that one?

I know I'm opening myself up to a joke here.

Euro is even more Monopoly inspirated...

all flashy notes...500 is purple , 200 is yellow , 100 light green , 50 is orange , 20 blue & 10 is red .

Only the notes of 5 is not flashy but grey .

I read the title too quickly and thought, "You beauty, a 5000 baht note. At last"

But no ... Does anyone know if there is a plan at some stage for a larger denomination note? Our builder always wanted cash and what a pain it is carrying and counting 200,000 baht, which is not even $7000.

THANK YOU!

HEY! I just realised that the money my wife's folks gave me on our wedding is... SERIES 9 stuff! http://www.bot.or.th/English/Banknotes/HistoryANdSeriesOfBanknotes/Pages/Banknote_Series09.aspx

Any idea how much this is worth? Just wondering... I'm not thinking of giving it away (or selling it... just yet). But man -- these were is PERFECT condition (until they were folded up as flowers *sigh* -- the paper is still crisp and firm. I got a 10, 20 and 100 bill. Darn... to think these were just normal bills (I only noticed what they were when we were putting away things for the flood in 2011)!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thailand-100-Baht-ND-Choice-Good-very-fine-/310600998861?pt=Paper_Money&hash=item4851431fcd

Whoa. I think I'll wait another decade or two then, thanks! PS. The ones I have seem to be in better condition than that ...

Some interesting links, thanks.

You may be the first farlang n Thailand to RECIEVE wedding money from her parents, congratulation wai2.gif

If it is illegal to scan or reproduce by other means, Thai currency, which it is, then isn't Thaivisa.com in serious breach of the law by publishing, ie distributing, those reproductions?

Doesn't TV make its own laws?

You don't know the difference between laws and rules yet? And you seem to be late to the party as the images have been removed. wink.png

• Like 1

Well all paper money throughout history has had a limited life span before the government loses credibility and then...oops collapse. We all need it for day to day living but the only value it has is trust in the governmnet as it has no intrinsic value, now there's something to think about.