Anti-thaksin Rally Sunday March 5 - The Final Show

george

I agree with this post 100%. In Asia they seem to be able to say anything they like about Westerners and we tolerate it. Once a Western Government says anything to offend them we are a bunch of racists.

ah but with the west being educated, we should know better, or at least that is what we are told,

the two ways to the thai voter as i can read it so far are

1 MONEY

2 patriotism bordering on xenaphobia

taxin has the money

The west doesn't know better, as we can clearly read in the poster who advocated "wiping out" all Muslims in another thread. :o

And if you think that Thai voters only vote for the reasons you mentioned you are very mistaken (as the urban based leadership of the alliance is). TRT has genuine support in the villages, and to a large part because TRT is so far the first political party who has built up a continous presence in even the most distant village with regular meetings. No other political party has ever done that in Thailand, they only came for the elections and were not seen after.

This is the first time village people have been actively involved in politics here in Thailand.

I don't state that because i am a supporter of Thaksin, which i am not. This is a fact.

well the village the mrs came from it was money, and i can honestly say that the people in the village have no idea what toxin does, and they do not particulary care either.

as for patriotism, that is an angle to bring the people together and catch votes,

unfortunately tox has the dosh and he will win :D

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are my 2 satang about the situation.

It looks like the end for Thaksin. My only concern is Thai democracy. I see the many thousands of people marching against Thaksin in Bangkok. Chances are most of these people come from Bangkok. On TV, it looks like all of the Thai people are standing up against Thaksin. If this is true, I think he should step down.

However, an election throughout Thailand should reflect the voices of the rest of the country. If Thaksin is reelected by Thai majority vote the results should be honored. Chances are the opposition would not honor the results of the April 2nd election.

If the only votes that matter are the ones from Bangkok, can it be said that Thailand really is a democratic government?

PAD will march to Govt House on March 14.

The People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) declared that the group will March from Sanamluang grounds to Government House on March 14.

Last night, leaders of the PAD and other protest leaders held a meeting on the groups’ move to pressure the Prime Minister to resign. The meeting concluded after five hours, as the groups released a declaration, which stated that the protestors will hold another major gathering at 4PM of March 13 at Sanamluang grounds. The groups vow to stay overnight and will march to Government House at 7AM of March 14, to submit a letter to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinnawat, urging him to resign from premiership. Then, the groups plan to hold a major speech and move back to Sanamluang.

As for daily demonstrations, the groups said the PAD will organize rallies everyday until midnight, but on Saturday, the protest will continue until 2AM.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 07 March 2006

Party loyalist Saranyu leaves Thai Rak Thai

Saranyu Wongkrachang, a founding member of Thai Rak Thai, announced his resignation from the party last night in front of anti-Thaksin protesters at Sanam Luang.

The actor and TV show host was the second party loyalist to turn his back on Thai Rak Thai after Praphat Panyachartak.

Mr Saranyu, a former party executive member, did not give any reasons for his resignation but it did not come as a surprise given that he had joined previous rallies against caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Despite being a party member, he showed no desire to run in elections.

Meanwhile, Mr Praphat, the former natural resources and environment minister, said he chose to depart the party for good as the government had failed to come up with sound agricultural policies and solve farmers' problems.

"I was disappointed with the Thaksin administration over its failure to improve farmers' livelihoods, and not because I was unhappy at being excluded from the party-list candidate line-up as many people think," said Mr Praphat.

He was responding to a comment made by Thai Rak Thai party secretary-general Suriya Jungrungreangkit, who said on Sunday that Mr Praphat's resignation may have stemmed from his disappointment at Thai Rak Thai's decision not to include him as a party-list candidate in the snap poll. "He may have been upset for not getting what he wanted," Mr Suriya said.

Mr Praphat slammed Mr Suriya's remark as "a groundless accusation".

"I quit because I was fed up with the party's repeated mistakes in implementation of its agricultural schemes such as the rubber stock management and longan mortgage schemes, which have only benefited major exporters and foreign importers and not poor farmers as intended," he said.

The former deputy agriculture and cooperatives minister said he also disagreed with the government's decision to press ahead with FTA pacts with developed countries without taking into account the problems of small-scale farmers.

"I've tried to call on Thai Rak Thai executives to put on hold these destructive policies, but they never listened to me, so I chose to leave this party," he said.

Mr Praphat submitted his resignation letter to the party chief last Friday and visited the anti-Thaksin demonstrators on Sunday before they moved on to Government House.

- BP

===============================================================

Motorbike taxi drivers incensed by 'Naew Na'

Over a hundred motorcycle taxi drivers laid siege to the offices of the Naew Na daily newspaper yesterday, angered by a photo published with a caption suggesting they had been offered cash to attend caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's rally on Friday.

The group, which blocked the entrance to the newspaper's offices on Vibhavadi Rangsit road in Lak Si district, demanded Naew Na publish an apology along with a photo of their gathering outside the publication's base.

Surayuth Kamolpradit, who led the group, said the group did not sign up to receive money, as claimed by Naew Na, insisting the signatures were simply collected to record who had attended the rally for future reference. :o

The photo which caused offence had sullied the reputation of motorcycle taxi drivers, he said,

:D (that's a good one) adding that the group had attended the rally in support of Mr Thaksin because it had been impressed with the government's crackdown on the mafia, which had tried to extort money from them.

But management at Naew Na maintained that their news coverage had been fair and refused to accept the demand by the group for an apology. If the group had been affected by the reports, they should clarify their claims so the public could decide, Naew Na said.

"Our position is clear that we won't publicly apologise in the newspaper regarding the picture," said Naew Na editor Wanchai Wongmeechai. However, the paper would report the group's protest as part of general reporting on the current political situation, he said.

Following intervention by Pol Maj-Gen Amnuay Nimmano, commander of the Metropolitan Police Bureau's division 2, the group of angry motorcycle taxi drivers finally dispersed after a four-hour protest.

Meanwhile, some participants in Sunday's anti-Thaksin rally at Sanam Luang claimed that they had witnessed some people receiving money to attend the prime minister's rally on Friday.

Pathomwan Wongsuwan, 30, said she had seen a large bus, which she alleges was sent by the government, at the Prachanives housing estate to take residents to the pro-Thaksin rally at Sanam Luang on Friday. She said she later learned that those taking part were each paid 500 baht, while those involved in trying to coax people into attending received 1,000 baht each.

Sompong Majin, 56, from Maha Sarakham, said the government exerted its influence by ordering or paying money to villagers to attend Friday's rally.

Mr Sompong said he had voted for Thai Rak Thai in previous elections in the belief its wealthy leader was unlikely to be corrupt. However, he said he was now disillusioned with several of the government's controversial projects, such as village funds and the one million cow projects.

Pattanacharin Suankaewmanee, 47, a marketing manager at a private firm, said she knew the prime minister had resorted to a "marketing" approach in trying to ensure grassroots people were mobilised to offer him support. She said Mr Thaksin had failed to respond properly to demands that he clarify controversies regarding his wealth, she added. She said there was a campaign to gather signatures to support Mr Thaksin in her parents' home province of Saraburi. She said a bus had been arranged for people to attend Mr Thaksin's rally on Friday, and each participant got a free meal and 300 baht for their trouble.

- BP

The actor and TV show host was the second party loyalist to turn his back on Thai Rak Thai after Praphat Panyachartak.

Another one bites the dust... :o

Somehow, I don't think we've seen the last of them yet... :D

A complaint can be filed on the PM's speech last Friday.

Election Commissioner Parinya Nakchatri (ปริญญา นาคฉัตรีย์) insisted that the agency recorded the Prime Minister’s speech on Friday March 3, adding that a petition for a review of the speech can be submitted if anyone believes that the premier violated election laws.

Mr. Parinya said that if last Friday’s speech was aimed at campaigning for votes, the Thai Rak Thai party must submit expenses under the party’s expenses. He admitted that he has not listened to the speech, and cannot indicate whether it breached election laws. He said that after an decree on election has been issued, EC officials will be sent to observe and collect information, adding that if the Democrat party or Mr. Sondhi Limthrongkul (สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล) believe that the premier has violated election law, they can file complaints with the EC.

As for concerns by many parties that there must be 500 MPs before a parliament session can be opened, Mr. Parinya said that there should not be a problem, as a re-election will be ordered in any constituency where a MP is not elected. He said that the EC can also use its power under constitution to solve problems, adding that all EC commissioners are expected to have come up with solutions to the problem.

I wanna correct my percentage of Anti-Thaksin protesters!

That's not 0.65% of the Thai population!

It's about 0.20% if we count out the kids who don't have the legal age to vote!

It look like a big power with the Media but that's absolutly ridiculous!

As I've mentioned before that I don't think all the protestors has voted for the last election. I think the percentage at 0.20% could be too much.

I don't like to comment the situation directly coz it's too easy to see and I think it's just a part of the big game they (protest leaders) are playing and everybody could be their tools or victims. Once you feel bad or good about what they're doing, you're falling into their traps and once you're in a trap, how can you see the big picture of a situation?. So I'd like to see from a different point of view again.

Let's say if you're working in a team as a leader or you're just a member. Then one member has left your team and start speaking a lot about how bad you and your team are. Whether it's the truth or lie do you think this man is good or bad? Do you like a man who always do it this way? If you left your team, will you speak bad about them? If in the future you form your team up again will you invite a min like this to join your team again?

For me, I'd say nothing unless it's a real corruption and I've a clear evidence, but I'll just show it to the court only. There's no point to say to public. To say to public (even with a clear evidence) never made any good thing, I think everybody may have seen it so many times already in the history.

What I want to say is: if it's so clear that Toxin (Oops Taksin...;P) made corruption(s), just go to the court.

Yes in democracy, anybody can speak what they want but nobody can judge anybody, only the court can judge. What they're doing right now is just democrazy, I think.

Hello

thank you for all the information and thoughts, very interesting !

I have a question

Can somebody explain me why the thai baht gets more and more strong although the situation seemed to be unstable ?!?! :o:D:D

thank you

Shingdam

Final showdown next Tuesday as protesters pushing ahead

549000003667101.JPEG

Flag-waving protesters at Sanam Luang last night during the fourth rally there aimed at forcing the ouster of caretaker premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

After considering a variety of options following its peaceful march to Government House on Sunday night, the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) said last night it would hold daily demonstrations in Sanam Luang to be capped by a major show of force at Government House next Tuesday.

In the runup to the March 14 event, PAD will conduct “guerrilla warfare” this week to maintain its pressure and show that its objectives remain uppermost on the minds of the demonstrators and their adversary.

During the fourth installment of the mass rally to oust caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra held last night in Sanam Luang, PAD confirmed its intention to persevere until its mission is accomplished.

PAD leaders held a long meeting to discuss how best to maintain the intense pressure on Thaksin after their march on Sunday night.

After several hours of talks, members of PAD’s core leadership, including Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang, Sondhi Limthongkul, Somkiat Pongpaiboon, Somsak Kosaisuk and Pipob Thongchai, went on stage to formally announce their decision.

Sondhi announced PAD’s decision to undertake another big march to Government House on March 14, this time during the day.

Sondhi also declared that the march to Government House on Sunday night represented a victory.

“Out fight this time is a struggle that uses dharma and peaceful measures that call for tolerance,” said Sondhi. “In the history of the country, there has not been a mobilization of more than 300,000 people to Government House without bloodshed.

“We made history…We are using the basis of the Constitution to express ourselves peacefully.

“From today onward, we will stage our demonstrations daily at Sanam Luang, and next Monday we will rally until dawn and march on Government House while the Cabinet is meeting.”

Sondhi said that once there, a formal letter would be presented demanding Thaksin’s immediate and unconditional resignation. The marchers will then return to Sanam Luang.

The crowd cheered loudly, signifying agreement with the announcement.

Insisting that PAD is committed to the rally for the long haul, Sondhi added that the demonstrations will continue until Thaksin resigns.

Despite the talk on the street of expedited efforts by PAD to expel Thaksin, Sondhi said that the rally had intentionally not reached a breaking point, reiterating that logic would be employed, rather than emotions.

“Our victory will be achieved because we are not willing to reach a breaking point. Instead, we will continue trying to make someone go crazy,” Sondhi said.

“We are using the basis of the Constitution to express ourselves peacefully and we created a new standard.”

Suriyasai Katasila, a founding member of PAD, explained that the final decision announced last night was based on recommendations from the 21 civic groups that formed the PAD’s executive committee, after mulling several options throughout the afternoon.

Core committee members suggested several possible march targets, including the Stock Exchange of Thailand, the Revenue Department, the Singaporean embassy and Thai Rak Thai headquarters, that would increase the pressure on caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to step down.

Regarding claims that the economy had stalled because of the political deadlock, Suriyasai said PAD could not be blamed.

“Do not blame us,” he said. “Investments rely on the credibility of the political leaders.”

“It only means that investors no longer trust Thaksin.”

Furthermore, PAD said that it will engage in what it described as “guerrilla warfare,” with marches en masse to venues that played a part in the accumulation of Thaksin’s wealth.

“While we wait for the massive march to Government House next week, the PAD will split into smaller groups this week and march to several venues,” said Pipob Thongchai.

He one such guerilla event could occur on March 9, when Temasek Holdings finalizes its tender offer for the Shin Corp shares.

Pipob also said that PAD will urge the public to boycott the services and products of Shin Corp, such as AIS cellphone services and Thai AirAsia as part of its planned civil disobedience campaign.

The rally last night was attended by tens of thousands and continued peacefully through the night.

Source: ThaiDay - 7 March 2006 11:58

State enterprise unions to join anti-Thaksin rally

About 100,000 workers from state enterprises are planning to join next week's rally to demand Prime MinisterThaksin Shinawatra quit, a union leader said Tuesday."We have to show our force until Thaksin gets out," said Pean Yongnu,

President of Network to Protect Electricity and Waters for Public.

"The Network is calling on state enterprise workers to exercise their rights to take leave to join the People's Alliance for Democracy until Thaksin resigns,"Pean said.

Thailand's five major state enterprises employ about 300,000 people. Pean said about a third would join the rally planned for Monday as an all-night protest to culminate Tuesday morning with a march on Thaksin's office.

Pean said state workers were angry with Thaksin's attempt to privatise state enterprises and delays in awarding salary increases.

The five state enterprises including the Electricity Generating Authority ofThailand(EGAT), Metropolitan Electricity, the Metropolitan Water Works Authority and two provincial electricity and water utilities.

Source: The Nation - Breaking News - 7 Mar 2006

What worries me is that no matter what happens, other parties need to match TRT's influence outside of Bangkok. :D

This is not an overnight process. If Tox is forced out, through democratic means or not, a huge education effort will be required to help the provincial citizens understand why. And a responsible "party" will need to fill the vacuum in a way that helps them have faith in the new government.

If the 30 baht health care scheme is a failure (certainly seems that way), what will take its place? Plenty of people like it, even if they don't see the down side. It'll take time and money and serious dedication to make the poor farmer see the folly of populist policies.

An under-educated populace makes for unwise voters. In order to wisely elect a good government a country needs to properly educate the electorate - and responsible "politicians" must try to meet the needs of all people.

It's interesting that a "majority" of people don't seem to care or understand the nature of Toxin's selfish actions and how bad they are for Thailand, how they reflect his true motivation as PM. And it seems that many educated people also seem to think his good deeds out way his bad deeds - maybe they think the tax-free sale is fair compensation. :o

Said the scorpion, "it's my nature".

He admitted that he has not listened to the speech, and cannot indicate whether it breached election laws.

That's ok, Khun Parinya... I don't think people that were even present at the rally and heard Thaksin's Friday speech really listened to it, either. :o

As for concerns by many parties that there must be 500 MPs before a parliament session can be opened, Mr. Parinya said that there should not be a problem, as a re-election will be ordered in any constituency where a MP is not elected.

If the problem is no candidates are registered for the election in many constituencies, how does a "re-election" with again, no candidates running, solve the problem? Even IF there are suddenly candidates, they must garner 20% of the total possible voters in the area to sit in the post. What if that doesn't happen?

He said that the EC can also use its power under constitution to solve problems, adding that all EC commissioners are expected to have come up with solutions to the problem.

I'm curious, Khun Parinya.... what precisely are these solutions??

PM says Chart Thai still have its chance on fielding its members to join in the general election until tomorrow

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has indicated that the Election Commission (EC) has opened for candidates to register their names to join the election until tomorrow. Therefore, the Chart Thai Party still has a chance to field its candidates in the general election. Besides, the Prime Minister will travel to Suphanburi (สุพรรณบุรี) Province to invite the Chart Thai Party members to join this election by himself.

Before the premier presided over the Cabinet meeting today, he said that he will travel to Suphanburi this evening to give an address to the local residents. He will then dine with Mr. Prapat Potasuthon (ประภัตร โพธสุธน), the former House of Representatives of Chart Thai Party in Suphanburi, and ask the locals to help persuade Chart Thai Party leader Banharn Silpa-acha (บรรหาร ศิลปอาชา) to join in the general election on April 2nd.

The Prime Minister is scheduled to travel to the province at 15.30 hours to give a speech on 16.30 hours at Don Chedi (ดอนเจดีย์) and Sam Chuk (สามชุก) District before having a dinner with Mr. Prapat.

Mr. Sirichai says political party can solicit votes in their offices while affirming that Commanders will not abuse their power to demand authorities to vote for a party

The Defense Ministry’s Permanent-Secretary, Gen. Sirichai Thanyasiri (สิริชัย ธัญญสิริ), has confirmed that the army will be unbiased towards all political parties during their election campaigns and they can clarify their polices as usual. Gen. Sirichai has also affirmed that the army will not abuse their power and influence others to vote for certain political parties.

As for the politicians’ requests for the army officers to help them out during the election campaign, the Permanent-Secretary has reiterated that the politicians have to hand an official letter for such request.

As for the news on certain people who do not want the general election to take place on April 2nd, he stated that the army has to follow the policy of the Defense Ministry and the government.

Lung, if you speak Thai check out ASTV - address in the first post in this thread. There are quite a few adverts but there is good discussion about the current situation. There is usually live coverage from Sanam Luang right through until the marches after midnight. Even if you don't speak Thai you will get the point.

Chalard to ask police to arrest anti-Thaksin groups

Political activist Chalard Worachat plans to file a police complaint on Thursday charging six groups of anti-government campaigners for boycotting the April 2 snap election.

“I call on democracy-loving people to march with me to the headquarters of Royal Thai Police to lodge the complaint,” he said in a statement Tuesday.

The election boycott was anti-democratic offence as per Article 63 of the Constitution and police should launch legal proceedings against it, he said.

Article 63 stipulates that no individuals can exercise their rights and liberty as guaranteed by the Constitution to overthrow the democracy with the monarch as head of state or usurp power.

Chalard said the boycott was organised by People’s Alliance for Democracies, Santi Asoke religious sect, a network of academics, a clique of senators, a selected media outlets led by media tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul and three opposition parties.

The six groups vowed to oust caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra before rejoining the electoral process.

Nation

The election boycott was anti-democratic offence as per Article 63 of the Constitution and police should launch legal proceedings against it, he said.

Finally somebody's waking up!

The only problem here in LOS, police are they realy gonna do their job?

I hope so!

The issues surrounding Taksin, the issues raised by PAD and the rest, ARE NOT supposed to be decided through elections.

The very simple argument that a person involved in secretly managing his business through nomenees is disqualified to stand in any elections doesn't seem to register with some of our posters.

It doesn't matter how popular or how handsome Taksin is - he is not fit to be in any public office.

I haven't seen anyone, at least on this board, who thinks that it was Pathongtae and his sister themselves who orchestrated the whole deal. It is always routinely referred to as "Taksin's sale of Shin Corp". That involvement alone disqualifies him, and all the issues that followed or preceded the sale don't help either - tax-avoidance, interfering with Senate and Constitution Court and the media, and all the rest.

As for Chamlong - I don't see any indication that he'll run for an office once Taksin is out. He came back to public light with a sole purpose of removing Taksin. He doesn't even have a party! He dissolved it when he retired, if I remeber correctly. I wouldn't worry about him, and Sondhi, too. He might enter politics like Chuwit did, but it's really not his field, he won't last long.

Let me repeat it again - Taksin is not qualified to stand in elections aqnd should resign immediately even if 19 million people still think he's the best.

Finally somebody's waking up!

The only problem here in LOS, police are they realy gonna do their job?

I hope so!

You should go back to sleep, CrazyFrog! Go back to sleep.

Familiarize yourself with the Article's specifics and discover for yourself, that no one has infringed upon it or broken any laws.

This is nothing but a pointless fishing expedition instigated by some TRT-sided lunatic who threatened to hang himself to "save democracy" just 4 days ago :o (needless to say, he lacks a certain amount of credibility):

http://www.manager.co.th/IHT/ViewNews.aspx...D=9490000029225

There's nothing behind his banal charges. Even the TRT-controlled Election Commission has endorsed that the parties have the right not to participate in the election. They have conversely and accurately spelled out that the law prohibits advocating people not to vote, but again... no one has been doing that. Everyone is being encouraged to vote (and vote often, as they used to say in Daley's Chicago elections :D ) but to simply tick their ballot for the best possible candidate, which in this election is a guy by the name of, "No Candidate".

As it's much better to have a discussion with people who have managed to inform themselves and to give you a headstart on your own research so that you know what is truly happening,... try this one as a beginning:

http://www.senate.go.th/eng/T-E_Senate/t_home.htm

Thank you for your cooperation and participation.

:D

c'mon ... we have guys saying that the usa isn't a democracy ... that exercising the right of peaceful assembly is wrong ... that no matter what the game is or how stacked against reality it is you must play or you are a criminal ....

A civics lesson first in the traditions of their own country and then a major lesson in Thai government is definitely in order!

Chalard to ask police to arrest anti-Thaksin groups

Political activist Chalard Worachat plans to file a police complaint on Thursday charging six groups of anti-government campaigners for boycotting the April 2 snap election.

“I call on democracy-loving people to march with me to the headquarters of Royal Thai Police to lodge the complaint,” he said in a statement Tuesday.

Article 63 stipulates that no individuals can exercise their rights and liberty as guaranteed by the Constitution to overthrow the democracy with the monarch as head of state or usurp power.

Chalard said the boycott was organised by People’s Alliance for Democracies, Santi Asoke religious sect, a network of academics, a clique of senators, a selected media outlets led by media tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul and three opposition parties.

The six groups vowed to oust caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra before rejoining the electoral process.

Nation

parade20cover.jpg

Chalard Worachat's very loose and inappropriate interpretation of Article 63 of the Thai Constitution which stipulates that: "no individuals can exercise their rights and liberty as guaranteed by the Constitution to overthrow the democracy with the monarch as head of state or usurp power." would be thrown out by any court....anywhere....and, moreover, the actions of the six parties he lists and their boycott of the upcoming election is not unconstitutional.

A political party here is not mandated or obliged, in any way, to contest an election, just as the smaller unsuccessful parties, with no members of parliament, can exist in their own right as political entities.

It's ridiculous for this individual to even consider presenting a complaint, when the Election Commission has no complaints about the matter.

The police will surely dismiss his complaint....unless there is some political interference which causes the complaint to be upheld.

549000003677005.jpg

00660015150.jpg

Section 44 []

A person shall enjoy the liberty to assemble peacefully and without arms.

The restriction on such liberty under paragraph one shall not be

imposed except by virtue of the law specifically enacted for the case of public assembling and for securing public convenience in the use of public places or for maintaining public order during the time when the country is in a state of war, or when a state of emergency or martial law is declared.

Section 45 []

A person shall enjoy the liberty to unite and form an association, a union, league, co-operative, farmer group, private organisation or any other group.

The restriction on such liberty under paragraph one shall not be imposed except by virtue of the law specifically enacted for protecting the common interest of the public, maintaining public order or good morals or preventing economic monopoly.

1663B1E5E9CB4E739C3E409C48563540.jpg

Plus....quote...."Let me repeat it again - Taksin is not qualified to stand in elections aqnd should resign immediately even if 19 million people still think he's the best."

Totally in agreement with you on this one, but then again he does after all have 73 billion reasons for wanting to remain in office, right now!

Edited by bulmercke

Who do you think you are kidding Mr. Thaksin?

If you think we're on the run,

We are the boys who will stop your little game.

We are the boys who will make you think again.

'Cus who do you think you are kidding Mr. Thaksin?

If you think old Expats done?

Mr. Brown goes off to town

On the 8:21.

But he comes home each evening

And he's ready with his gun.

So watch out Mr. Thaksin

You have met your match in us.

If you think you can push us

We're afraid you've missed the bus.

so who do you think you are kidding Mr. Thaksin?

If you think old Expats done.

Plus....quote...."Let me repeat it again - Taksin is not qualified to stand in elections aqnd should resign immediately even if 19 million people still think he's the best."

Classic argument for people favoring oligarchy over democracy. Btw, you can't impeach a PM through protests - you need convincing proof, which the opposition obviously doesn't have or else they wouldn't be afraid to run against him in a fair election.

qurkle ... keep trying. Or better yet THINK before posting! You can't impeach (or censure) anyone if the guy dissolves the parlaiment. Should we seek redress in the NCCC? oh wait ....

When Parlaiment was sitting there was still no way to do this since the guy has an absolute lock on his party and they control so many seats that it is impossible to bring action.

oh well

SET falls on rumor of Shin deal reversal

By ThaiDay 7 March 2006 17:48

In the closing hour of trading Tuesday, the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) suddenly dropped three points as fears mounted over a possible attempt to reverse the multibillion-baht Shin Corp shares deal with Singapore-based Temasek Holdings.

The SET finished the day at 738.36, down 1.66 percent, while the Market for Alternative Investment closed at 167.61, an increase of 0.37 percent. Combined market volume was low at 2.17 billion shares, with turnover at 12.13 billion baht.

Family members of caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in January sold 73.3 billion baht worth of shares to Temasek without paying tax, sparking weeks of public outcry and political turmoil.

The anti-Thaksin People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) Tuesday afternoon submitted a letter to the Singaporean embassy in Bangkok, requesting the Singapore government end Temasek’s tender offer for Shin shares. If the tender offer is allowed to be completed on Thursday and Singaporean officials do not take action, the PAD has threatened mass demonstrations at the embassy. After the news reached investors, the SET dipped.

Shares in Shin fell 3.08 percent to 47.25 baht a piece, while its subsidiary Advanced Info Service dropped 1.55 percent to 95.50 baht.

The banking sector was hit hard today with Bangkok Bank, the country’s largest financial institution in terms of assets, tumbling 3.42 percent to 113 baht. Securities analysts said the fall in the sector was due to profit taking after banks enjoyed three months of positive performance on the bourse. The profit taking was sparked by political developments.

Wouldn't it be ironic NOW if the sale was called off.....and it wasn't of Thaksin's doing. Thaksin would still find himself in hot water because of the deal....without enjoying any of the benefits.....i.e. the 73 billion baht that was due to come his way.

Rough justice, indeed!

Edited by bulmercke

Please drive with your headlights on to show your need for peace : police

Police are calling for motorists to drive with their vehicles’ headlights on to signal they want a peaceful solution to the conflict between caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and those trying to oust him.

“We want to call on people to show their desire to see the peaceful situation in the country restored by turning on the headlights of their cars,” said spokesman Lt-General Achirawit Suphanphesat.

Achirawit said he was trying to clarify comments on Monday that police had been “pushed to the limit” by the conflict and its mass rallies.

“While the protesters can visit the rallies in shifts, coming and going as they please, the police are on constant call,” he said on Monday.

“I am not speaking on behalf of the government, but all 220,000 police assigned to duty. They have been very tired because they work all day and night while the protests against the premier seem to never end.”

All people want to peace restored through talks involving all parties, he added.

Source: The Nation - 7 Feb 2006

:o

yipp finnally?

ANTI-THAKSIN PROTEST

PAD stages protest at Singapore embassy

A group of 50 members of the People's Alliance for Democracy rallied in front of the Singapore Embassy Tuesday afternoon demanding Temasek Holdings to cancel its plan to buy shares of Shin Corp.

The protesters carried banners, saying "Temasek Get Out" and "Thailand is not for sale" outside the embassy.

They turned up at the embassy at 2 pm.

They chanted "Temasek get out" for about 20 minutes until Michael Chuan, the secretary of the embassy, came out to receive a letter from Somsai Kosaisuk, a PAD leader.

The open letter demanded Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong to cancel the deal with Shin Corp by Thursday or the PAD would campaign for Thai people to boycott goods from companies under Temasek Holdings.

The letter said the Singapore government would be regarded as interfering in affairs of the kingdom, which could affect the national security.

The letter said the PAD would not cancel its campaign against Shin Corp and Singapore until the deal is cancelled and it added that the PAD would return to rally outside the embassy again on Thursday.

Vuthiphong Pribjrivat, an academic who has helped organise weekly rallies against Thaksin, said protesters would march to the Singapore embassy by Thursday to ask the city-state to "reconsider the takeover".

"We will inform the Singapore embassy that the Shin Corp deal has created a lot of political problems," Vuthiphong said.

At 2:30 pm, a group of some 30 students also marched from Lumpini Park to the Singapore embassy and submitted a letter to the embassy's secretary, demanding the cancellation of the deal.

Chua assured both PAD and student representatives that their letters would be forwarded to the Singapore government as soon as possible.

Singapore's state-linked investment company Temasek bought a nearly 50 per cent stake in Shin Corp from Thaksin's family in late January.

Thaksin's family made Bt73 billion on the tax-free deal, sparking public outrage that has snowballed into mass weekly protests against the prime minister.

Earlier Tuesday before the protests, Foreign Affairs Minister Kantathi Suphamongkhon said the Singapore government did not inquire about rallies which the anti-Thaksin coalition would stage outside the Singapore embassy in Bangkok.

Kantathi said Singapore understands the situation well but Thai police would ensure that would be no problems to the embassy.

/Mod Edit - Source: The Nation - Tue, March 7, 2006 : Last updated 19:51 pm (Thai local time)

Please quote your sources.

--------------------------------------------

viva la.... :D

Edited by Jai Dee

and here the letter...

:o

-----------

PAD's open letter to Singapore

March 7, 2006

Subject: Request for the halt of Shin Corp shares purchase

Dear Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong,

Singapore and Thailand have been good friends for a long time. Singapore's Temasek Holdings Co Ltd has arranged to buy Shin Corp from the Thai Prime Minister's family. This will mean the purchase of businesses which are highly sensitive and will affect the security of Thailand? including a mobile phone service, a satellite, an airline, and a TV channel.

Many Thai citizens are closely scrutinizing the Prime Minister's behaviour to find evidence that he has violated the Thai Constitution and many other laws, including abuse of his power in order to further his family's multi-billion baht businesses, which include a mobile phone service, satellite, TV channel and airline. Family assets have been illegally hidden, several transfers of shares have involved tax evasion, and most recently, his family businesses have been sold to the Singaporean government's Temasek. The PM has also been interfering with independent organisations to obstruct and avoid proper investigation. He dissolved the House just before its opening to avoid answering any questions regarding this issue.

Thus, many citizens and academics believe that the PM has lost the legitimate right to run the country. He should no longer retain power, which he may use to influence the upcoming election.

The People's Alliance for Democracy, together with Thai citizens and academics, are agreed that the Prime Minister should resign from his post immediately.

On the basis of the long relationship between our two countries, the People's Alliance for Democracy calls upon the Singaporean government to stop the purchase of Shin Corporation on 9 March 2006. The purchase, if allowed to proceed, will be considered as an attempt to interfere with basic services and businesses that are important for Thailand's security.

The People's Alliance for Democracy will use every means to stop this purchase, starting with a boycott of every business owned by Shin Corporation.

Please consider our request. The People's Alliance for Democracy will come back to the Embassy on 9 March 2006 to hear the answer. We hope that our two countries will have the opportunity to continue our good relationship.

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Somsak Kosaisuk

Representative of the People's Alliance for Democracy

----------------------------------

Edit: - Source: The Nation - Tue, March 7, 2006

-----------------------------------

viva la :D

Edited by lung