Garcinia Cambogia -- In My Experience, This Stuff Really Works

Jingthing

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Hi again.

Here is my "Happy New Year" update on my long saga with Garcinia Cambogia.

As far as weight loss, as I expected would happen eventually, I have hit a seemingly impenetrable BRICK WALL.

I have not done anything differently.

Same exercise level.

Same eating pattern.

Same dose of Garcinia Cambogia.

The GC is still effectively and dramatically controlling my cravings and appetites.

I still have no desire at all for sweet desserts.

I still eat an unusual amount of fresh vegetables plus a moderate amount of fresh fruit.

I still eat a low amount of carbs, but not no carbs, as before.

It's like my body has adjusted to my new, better lower weight as my "new normal" which the "intelligence" of my body seems to want me to stay it.

Since I've been on this saga for years, what loose skin I had from the weight loss has tightened as much as it will do.

I've noticed improvement on that all over and no need for cosmetic surgery. The worse part is my thighs ... oh well.

Now I realize this post will likely prompt suggestions: eat less/exercise more.

Well I could exercise more but of course as many know exercise is not as important as food in weight loss.

Eat less? I really don't see it. My portions are already small. I eat healthy foods. In cases where I have a larger than planned second meal, I am not even able to eat a third meal (GC) and have a snack instead (it's the GC).

So psychologically I'm in an odd place.

I know intellectually I have really succeeded against the odds in a major weight loss keeping if off LONG TERM but I am not really close to my "dream" goals.

As far as my current body and health, I could in theory live with and accept where I'm at and be satisfied with that as "pretty good" unlike where I was at when I started which was pretty grim.

So maybe you can see I'm in a kind of purgatory of half success/half failure in my perception.

Now ... what to do?

To my thinking, it's about the GC now.

I have been a guinea pig (no pig jokes please) with doing it for so long, even keeping at it after large weight loss for maintenance of weight loss. There really isn't literature that I have found on cases like mine doing that. The general advise is to stop the GC for periods of time and then maybe starting again. The assumption I've read in places is that people do stop the GC when their "goals" have been met, but back to this post, whether my goals have been met feels ambiguous.

So as far as the GC is concerned ... I kind of know that someday I have to try and stop it as I've hit a wall and it seems dangerous to just do it for the rest of my life. On the other hand I think for me there is a big risk that I could easily and quickly gain 10 or 20 pounds if I do stop it. So it's a risk/reward thing. If I quit it and I don't gain weight, then maybe I can start it again later and begin a new weight loss phase using it, even if much slower than before. However, any weight gain now I would see as a major setback ... so frankly, I don't know what I'll do about the the GC and when.

I am posting this "truthiness" about my adventure with GC to show that even with weight loss success, regardless of how you achieved it, the struggles with weight control issues do go on. As I think I would characterized as a kind of GC success story, you can see it's a success story with some not so wonderful aspects to it.

Another reason I'm posting the truth about my experience is to emphasize yet again, I am not a GC pill pusher suggesting it is any kind of magic or panacea without a price. Everything has a price.

Maybe I should revise the headline here:

Garcinia Cambogia -- In My Experience, This Stuff Really Works But Even When It Works, The Struggle Ain't Over

Cheers.

Water retention, in all likelyhood you are still loosing body fat.

It's been many months. I don't think so. It think I'm really stuck. In my opinion, it's only a matter of time before I have to bite the bullet and test out what happens when I try to stop the GC at least temporally. So this has morphed into a possible story about dependency on a supplement. I've been stalling on trying that and not ready to stop stalling. I am not ready to face the consequences of stopping yet if it turns into a quick weight gain. Like I said, my new "OK but not great" weight feels like my body intelligence accepts it as my new status quo but the question really is, will my body accept it without the supplement? I have no idea but I know enough that there is a risk it won't.

Anyway, I like this new problem better than the problem I had when I started but it's still a real problem. A little like rich people complaining about tax problems. They'd still rather be rich.

To clarify a little, by "low carb" is was actually referring to starches like grains, bread, pasta, rice, etc. I eat it but small portions as usual.

As far as evidence of no real change in many months, I don't have any body fat analysis stats, but my waist size is the same as well, so that's good evidence of a real stall.

You have hit a plateu and there your likely to stay to start droping weight again you will have to cut some calorie intake, quite comon and the only solution except for moving the body more.

Im sure you think the pills work but the science is if your eating well and a balanced diet your unlikly to get sugar and bad fat cravings.

You got to this point so why not try and ween yourself of them without changing your diet and see how it goes.

You have hit a plateu and there your likely to stay to start droping weight again you will have to cut some calorie intake, quite comon and the only solution except for moving the body more.

Im sure you think the pills work but the science is if your eating well and a balanced diet your unlikly to get sugar and bad fat cravings.

You got to this point so why not try and ween yourself of them without changing your diet and see how it goes.

The supplement HELPS me reduce food intake by reducing my appetite and HELPS me be happy and satisfied with health promoting foods like broccilli and it HELPS me not crave "naughty" foods like desserts. Simple as that. For me, I have no doubt whatsoever that for me GC definitely DOES work, as above. Now how I will feel when I take a break from GC, I can't possibly really know until I try that. Which I assume has to be someday but not ready yet. If I knew for a fact it was "safe" to just keep my status quo for life and never take a break from the GC I would consider that an OK way to go. But intuitively I feel that might be too much of a health risk to be dependent on even a relatively "safe" supplement for life. Like I said, as far as I can tell, there isn't any literature on this at all.

Also, I am well aware of predictable plateaus but this one has lasted a really long time, and in my personal experience and reading the literature, plateaus in most cases end up the OTHER WAY, with people gaining back the weight. In case I haven't been clear, that's my concern now more than staying stuck where I am. Where I am is OK, gaining back the weight is NOT OK. For me a large weight loss maintained for this long is a first and I don't want to blow it ... not getting any younger.

This is really related to a bigger issue which I think is probably common. People who have lost a chunk of weight and that's the end of it ... not at or even close to so called ideal weight. Is it even SANE to never be satisfied with your body for the rest of your life if it's just not happening? To illustrate, in my reading of bariatric surgery, an extreme measure, cases are counted as a success if the patient loses a certain amount of body weight such as 10 to 15 percent, maintains that weight loss, yet are still obese and expect to stay obese (perhaps down from morbidly obese). It gets into the subject of realistic goals which really do vary between individuals based on complex factors. When do you just say, this is it ... I'm not going to be obsessed about something that is probably unrealistic?

Hi again.

As far as weight loss, as I expected would happen eventually, I have hit a seemingly impenetrable BRICK WALL.

Same exercise level.

Same eating pattern.

The GC is still effectively and dramatically controlling my cravings and appetites.

I still eat an unusual amount of fresh vegetables plus a moderate amount of fresh fruit.

It's like my body has adjusted to my new, better lower weight as my "new normal" which the "intelligence" of my body seems to want me to stay it.

Since I've been on this saga for years, what loose skin I had from the weight loss has tightened as much as it will do.

I've noticed improvement on that all over and no need for cosmetic surgery. The worse part is my thighs ... oh well.

Well I could exercise more but of course as many know exercise is not as important as food in weight loss.

Eat less? I really don't see it. My portions are already small. I eat healthy foods. In cases where I have a larger than planned second meal, I am not even able to eat a third meal (GC) and have a snack instead (it's the GC).

I know intellectually I have really succeeded against the odds in a major weight loss keeping if off LONG TERM but I am not really close to my "dream" goals.

As far as my current body and health, I could in theory live with and accept where I'm at and be satisfied with that as "pretty good" unlike where I was at when I started which was pretty grim.

So maybe you can see I'm in a kind of purgatory of half success/half failure in my perception.

Now ... what to do?

I have been a guinea pig (no pig jokes please) with doing it for so long, even keeping at it after large weight loss for maintenance of weight loss. There really isn't literature that I have found on cases like mine doing that. The general advise is to stop the GC for periods of time and then maybe starting again. The assumption I've read in places is that people do stop the GC when their "goals" have been met, but back to this post, whether my goals have been met feels ambiguous.

So as far as the GC is concerned ... I kind of know that someday I have to try and stop it as I've hit a wall and it seems dangerous to just do it for the rest of my life. On the other hand I think for me there is a big risk that I could easily and quickly gain 10 or 20 pounds if I do stop it. So it's a risk/reward thing. If I quit it and I don't gain weight, then maybe I can start it again later and begin a new weight loss phase using it, even if much slower than before. However, any weight gain now I would see as a major setback ... so frankly, I don't know what I'll do about the the GC and when.

I am posting this "truthiness" about my adventure with GC to show that even with weight loss success, regardless of how you achieved it, the struggles with weight control issues do go on. As I think I would characterized as a kind of GC success story, you can see it's a success story with some not so wonderful aspects to it.

Another reason I'm posting the truth about my experience is to emphasize yet again, I am not a GC pill pusher suggesting it is any kind of magic or panacea without a price. Everything has a price.

Garcinia Cambogia -- In My Experience, This Stuff Really Works But Even When It Works, The Struggle Ain't Over

Cheers.

"I know intellectually I have really succeeded against the odds in a major weight loss keeping if off LONG TERM but I am not really close to my "dream" goals."

You recall when you attacked me for saying it is possible long term, if keep doing it? Now you proofed me right.

"Eat less? I really don't see it. My portions are already small. I eat healthy foods. In cases where I have a larger than planned second meal, I am not even able to eat a third meal (GC) and have a snack instead (it's the GC)." It is technically interesting on how little food the human body can exist. I ate only 1 meal per day and no snake over an extended period to get a very slow reduction on weight.

So yes if you don't loose weight, you eat too much, no matter how little it is already.....Life is not fair.

Focus on get some more kg off. As soon as you relax and try only to hold your weight, you easily slip into gaining. But when reducing weight and failing to do so, you at least didn't gain.....

Hi again.

Same exercise level.

Same eating pattern.

Now ... what to do?

Cheers.

how long have you hit this brick wall.. all of use loosing weight hit brick walls at some time. You can either eat less or exercise more (just to break the wall and later go back to normal) or just wait longer and see what happens. I have broken multiple walls on the way down and each and everyone of them was hard to break.

Hi again.

Same exercise level.

Same eating pattern.

Now ... what to do?

Cheers.

how long have you hit this brick wall.. all of use loosing weight hit brick walls at some time. You can either eat less or exercise more (just to break the wall and later go back to normal) or just wait longer and see what happens. I have broken multiple walls on the way down and each and everyone of them was hard to break.

If you only intend to loose weight, and don't care much about muscle, just half your food intake and you'll loose again. No problem there. But beside fat you'll also loose muscle.....

Hi again.

Same exercise level.

Same eating pattern.

Now ... what to do?

Cheers.

If you only intend to loose weight, and don't care much about muscle, just half your food intake and you'll loose again. No problem there. But beside fat you'll also loose muscle.....

There have been many reports of the body holding on stubbornly to certain weights.. and once you broke through that set point normal weight loss will occur again. I have read up quite a bit about this though there is no hard research there. For me it worked without loosing muscle.

Right now trying to loose 3 kg again (lost control a bit when parents where here plus new-year and such) should not take too long to get back to where i was though.

The wall of stable weight has lasted about 7 months. Not just any wall ... more like the great wall of China.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ok that is indeed the wall of China. You know your options its up to you to use or not use them. I normally called it a wall if more as month no weight loss.

Yep.

I'm dealing with some stuff that I doubt there's anyone here that could really help with.

But I posted about it so maybe others might learn something from it, not sure exactly what.

Perhaps that I should have followed the popular press general advice to take periodic breaks from GC.

Of course I don't know where I would be or not be if I had personally done that now.

More related to how I've used (or possibly abused GC) and also the psychological question of when is it time (or not) to accept your new improved (but not "ideal") level as your personal REALISTIC best and move on with your life accepting the new weight.

Yep.

I'm dealing with some stuff that I doubt there's anyone here that could really help with.

But I posted about it so maybe others might learn something from it, not sure exactly what.

Perhaps that I should have followed the popular press general advice to take periodic breaks from GC.

Of course I don't know where I would be or not be if I had personally done that now.

More related to how I've used (or possibly abused GC) and also the psychological question of when is it time (or not) to accept your new improved (but not "ideal") level as your personal REALISTIC best and move on with your life accepting the new weight.

This is the problem with ALL supplements

As for when its time to accept things.. id say if your in the healthy range weight wise and it won't go down anymore accept it. If your still at risk.. try other things. Because after your in the healthy range its al vanity.

For me i could gain quite a few KG's and still be healthy weight wise but i prefer to be real lean (vanity)

But if you decide you want to go lower.. it will cost you more effort as now. You have to decide if its worth it or not.

Hi again.

Same exercise level.

Same eating pattern.

Now ... what to do?

Cheers.

There have been many reports of the body holding on stubbornly to certain weights.. and once you broke through that set point normal weight loss will occur again. I have read up quite a bit about this though there is no hard research there. For me it worked without loosing muscle.

Right now trying to loose 3 kg again (lost control a bit when parents where here plus new-year and such) should not take too long to get back to where i was though.

if you eat less than you burn you loose weight....often not linear, but in a month average you does. The problems only happen if you eat too much, or if your body got more efficient than you believe. When I was below 63kg, it was just ridiculous how little food I needed. Just a dinner and nothing else during the day. People estimate their intake and burning too optimistic. If there is no source of energy, body must eat itself, stubborn or not.

Yep.

There is no personal realistic best. You can starve yourself to dead like many unhappy girls do, or eat yourself fat as a pig. Everyone is complete free to set that if he really wants. Question is what you want and if it is worth it. Is it worth to torture yourself for the rest of your life to look like Karl Lagerfeld?

But realistic everything is possible.

Yes my body is obviously very efficient now in processing my food intake. Which is a bad thing if wanting to lose more weight. I know what I eat, the portions and content, it provides me really good nutrition. Much lower and it would get into poor nutrition and possibly training my body to be even more efficient (bad). That's something I doubt I could sustain for life even with GC (lower food intake than now) and would likely set me up for later weight gain. What I'm doing now, food and exercise, I feel I can sustain indefinitely and also have good nutrition, but the x factor is the supplement.

Like I said there doesn't seem to any literature on what I've done with GC (just never stop it). I knew it was kind of radical but I did it anyway. But there is a good bit of literature suggesting the thing to do is take GC breaks when the weight loss stops and then start again, and it will probably start again. Will that work for me? No idea. I think I've already explained my reluctance to find out.

I guess the obvious question now, is, what am I waiting for? Just do it. Just stop the GC and see what happens. Logically, I get that. But still not there yet.

Yes my body is obviously very efficient now in processing my food intake. Which is a bad thing if wanting to lose more weight. I know what I eat, the portions and content, it provides me really good nutrition. Much lower and it would get into poor nutrition and possibly training my body to be even more efficient (bad). That's something I doubt I could sustain for life even with GC (lower food intake than now) and would likely set me up for later weight gain. What I'm doing now, food and exercise, I feel I can sustain indefinitely and also have good nutrition, but the x factor is the supplement.

Like I said there doesn't seem to any literature on what I've done with GC (just never stop it). I knew it was kind of radical but I did it anyway. But there is a good bit of literature suggesting the thing to do is take GC breaks when the weight loss stops and then start again, and it will probably start again. Will that work for me? No idea. I think I've already explained my reluctance to find out.

I guess the obvious question now, is, what am I waiting for? Just do it. Just stop the GC and see what happens. Logically, I get that. But still not there yet.

No that is a wrong thinking that it is bad when your body gets more efficient because loosing weight is getting more difficult.

The body gets more efficient, but you are also satisfied with less food. It is more like an equal downscale.

Actually I feel better. It seems less energy is wasted in digestion.

But was you say about nutrition is true. When you so extreme little, you get problems on eating enough protein, essential fat acids, etc..

If you stop GC, I would strongly reduce carbs BEFORE. Just in case you urge to get sweet things, you can milder that by being in ultra low carb mode.

Just keep stepping on scales to see if your body-weight goes up or not. This way you can try to prevent that. It is something id advise you to do. I can understand your reluctance its scary to risk what you have lost. I had similar problems coming off things that helped curb appetite.

You said with GC you can stay on the weight you are on now for always, so if i understand you stop to see if it will work again after a period of abstinence. That you hope to stay on weight now without it and later take it again and start loosing weight.

It might work.. you could try it alternatively I know you row you could (i hated it) row in the morning and take some caffeine / yohimbe with it. It works (personally i really really hate exercise first thing in the morning but when i tried it it did help for weight loss reason being if you exercise in a fasted state there are more chances to start burning fat).

In my opinion you should shake up what you were previously doing and see if 3 weeks of change (eating less / exercise more) can help you get your weight loss back on track. Of course the goal is after those 3 weeks go back to normal thing and see if breaking the wall has worked and weight loss goes on as before.

That is what I have done in the past and what I have read about. There is some literature out there that says the body stays fighting around certain set points but once you pass them weight loss goes on. (this is all highly speculative and hard to find concrete evidence on it)

Interesting points, robblok.

On the GC specifically ... I am convinced it has worked for me in the non-magical ways I've detailed ... HELPING me (dramatically so actually) do the right things that would cause weight loss/maintenance anyway.

But there is also some literature, more controversial of course, that GC does something else in impacting the way the body processes foods.

How this potentially relates to stopping and starting being helpful (or this wall I've hit by not stopping it) I really don't know.

Like I'm said, I'm a guinea pig in all this. Happily a less plump one.

Also, on supplements, yes there are issues with long term supplements, medications, etc. but it seems to me that not all medications and supplements are the same. Like some things you can quit and not worry and other things are medically risky to just quit like statin meds.

Interesting points, robblok.

On the GC specifically ... I am convinced it has worked for me in the non-magical ways I've detailed ... HELPING me (dramatically so actually) do the right things that would cause weight loss/maintenance anyway.

But there is also some literature, more controversial of course, that GC does something else in impacting the way the body processes foods.

How this potentially relates to stopping and starting being helpful (or this wall I've hit by not stopping it) I really don't know.

Like I'm said, I'm a guinea pig in all this. Happily a less plump one.

Also, on supplements, yes there are issues with long term supplements, medications, etc. but it seems to me that not all medications and supplements are the same. Like some things you can quit and not worry and other things are medically risky to just quit like statin meds.

I think all you can do JT is try something of the things I said or what you want stopping and starting again and see if it works. Its something you will have to find out for yourself. I have found that going through a wall with some changes and then reverting back worked for me.

As far supplements / and medicine concerned some work and some can be stopped and others cant. I am not going to get in specifics the whole supplement / medicine route is one that is real personal as it involves risks that some are willing to take and others are not. But safe to say there is stuff out there that works but the better it works the more risk it has (in general)

Personally because your so comfortable with GC id stop that for say a month (weighing yourself often to see if it does not go wrong) and then starting again.

If that fails you could think of my other suggestions.

Thanks.

That's probably as good advice as I have a right to expect here.

At the same time I'm trying to look hard at my actual personal goals when I started with this.

They were never about expecting perfection or the body of the 18 year old I wasn't even at when I was 18!

They are largely met.

What isn't met is mostly about vanity.

Reduce carbs? Huh? I already said I eat small amounts of starch carbs. Do you mean reduce vegetables and fruits? I think I eat adequate protein. Some days more than others.

yes, my idea is, that if GC reduced your craving for sweet things (I think you wrote something like that), to go down on the carbs before you stop GC. After a while (1 week, 1 month???) go back to the normal thing.

My idea is that with every carb intake your blood sugar level changes and makes the risk higher to get some craving for sweet things and once you start with the sweet things it get even worse. And 2 kg are gained quickly.....

So I would cut out the carbs before stopping to be on the safe side.

No starch, no sweet fruits, lets say 1 apple per day. No sweet or starch vegetables. But as I say just for a short period.

Or an alternative idea, maybe better than the carb idea: taper down the GC intake. Half it, look what happens, half it again, look what happens. Than take this dose only every second day. Than every third day....till you are on zero. If something happens, you can up the dose again before some weight gains happen.

Interesting that you mention lower dose GC because I was just about to post about that, and it's a positive thought.

I have been on full dose GC but GC is so powerful for me I'm pretty sure lower doses would have strong effects as well.

I recalled that I HAVE read of some people using lower doses of GC for their official "maintenance phase" long term.

Now if there are health risks with long term use of GC which is kind of unknown, it seems logical that LOWER doses would likely be less of a potential health risk, long term.

So at the point that I do decide I am accepting where I'm at as "maintenance phase" (the last 7 months have been that, but not intentionally) there is a real hope that lower dose GC could help with that long term.

As far as the shorter term, I am still not quite there yet with officially accepting where I'm at as official "maintenance phase" and I likely will try (at least once) the tactic of quit and start.

Risky though.

Interesting that you mention lower dose GC because I was just about to post about that, and it's a positive thought.

I have been on full dose GC but GC is so powerful for me I'm pretty sure lower doses would have strong effects as well.

I recalled that I HAVE read of some people using lower doses of GC for their official "maintenance phase" long term.

Now if there are health risks with long term use of GC which is kind of unknown, it seems logical that LOWER doses would likely be less of a potential health risk, long term.

So at the point that I do decide I am accepting where I'm at as "maintenance phase" (the last 7 months have been that, but not intentionally) there is a real hope that lower dose GC could help with that long term.

As far as the shorter term, I am still not quite there yet with officially accepting where I'm at as official "maintenance phase" and I likely will try (at least once) the tactic of quit and start.

Risky though.

Try to half the dose and wait what happens, but wait at least 1 week. I don't know GC, but some things have long lasting effects. If nothing change, maybe a quarter dose is also good enough.

It could be, that GC helped you in a critical time, but the effect faded away already and you eat it, without effect now and your body just adjusted to less food.

On the other hand it could be that you half the dose and get a lot hunger.....

You need to experiment. My best guess is that your body mostly adjusted and GC has only a minimal effect now. (note minimal and not "no effect"), but that is just a guess. Reason for the guess is that over 7 month your body would be used to it.

Archived