Why The Clang?

penzman

On my last visit, every night ,every hour or so, the security guard would make noise with something made of metal, sounded like a piece of pipe. I did not mind it, too often it made me aware it was time to quit that PC game and go to bed.

Can someone explain to me why?

Scaring off thieves? Waking us up every hour to let us know how much time we have left to sleep ? Old tradition? Letting soi dogs know ''he's a comin' ''?

No real idea, penzman, but my guess is that he would rather have any thieves or whatever leave before he shows up. It could just be a personal idiosyncrasy of his or good luck superstition. Or maybe he's just trying to stay awake.

Jeepz

Good lord, how long have you been here, just a week.

If you count how many clangs he makes it will tell you the time

It also lets you know that the security guard is doing his rounds and is not fast asleep

Yes - usually in groups of 3 "bells" followed by the additional 1 or 2 to complete the total for the time.

This was a pretty universal practice when I first came here in the early 70's, particularly in the Sukhumvit Sois - where most of the Expats lived in those days. At that time most of the "Security Guard" services were provided by "Babus" - a network of Indian watchmen, paid for by the residents of the Soi or neighbourhood (lots of incidences where a house would be mysteriously burgled shortly after the resident had refused to pay the monthly stipend too!)

The practice died out significantly over the last 20 years or so as the "Babus" were replaced by professional Security Companies but I seem to have noticed a resurgence in the last few years.

When I lived in Samrong a few years ago,

The Security Guard Blew a Whistle every hour

- to let the Sleeping Residents know that he was NOT Sleeping

- and to let the Guard in the next Soi know he was OK and had not been attacked

He was privately employed by Contributions from the Soi Residents

- during the day his partner manned a barrier at the Soi Entrance.

Roger

The Security Guard Blew a Whistle every hour

- to let the Sleeping Residents know that he was NOT Sleeping

- and to let the Guard in the next Soi know he was OK and had not been attacked

gotta love thailand....Stuff likes that makes me laugh, except when I am trying to sleep. :o

I guess tradition has been corrupted. In the old days when Seiko, Swatch etc were still rare, the security man would knock on the drum hence Thai time is for example called Neung Tum for 7pm and Sawn Tum for 8 pm etc.