400 Baht Water, 10 Baht Electricity

easyride

I've been scouring South Pattaya for a new room.

Increasingly these landlords want to charge 400 baht per month for water and 10 baht for electricity and 6600 baht for tiny rooms.

What a rip-off. They see a farang and hike up the price.

When you consider that my old landlord charges 36 Baht per unit of water and 7 Baht for leccy AND makes a handsome profit it makes you wonder if Pattaya is worth the effort.

Disappointed.

I pay 350 baht per month directly to the water board, so 400 baht is not really all that excessive.

350 baht is the monthly minimum commercial rate. I have to pay the commercial rate because the townhouse I rent is owned by my Farang landlord under a company structure.

I wouldn't pay 10 baht for electricity though - that's profiteering from Farang who need/want aircon. I'd keep looking. I think 5 or maybe 6 baht is a fair price. The current direct rate is just over 4 baht/kWh. It has gone up.

Edited by tropo

I pay 120B/month for water and 3.5B/unit for electricity. I pay 3000B/month for a 60 sq. meter duplex. I live surrounded by forest, good neighbors, and peaceful rice fields.

The "exciting city" is only an overnight A/C sleeper train away (or a 45-minute flight away), but my tolerance of that rat race can span no more than 3 days. Come to Isaan where life is good and affordable. Of course, each to their own. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I pay 120B/month for water and 3.5B/unit for electricity. I pay 3000B/month for a 60 sq. meter duplex. I live surrounded by forest, good neighbors, and peaceful rice fields.

The "exciting city" is only an overnight A/C sleeper train away (or a 45-minute flight away), but my tolerance of that rat race can span no more than 3 days. Come to Isaan where life is good and affordable. Of course, each to their own. thumbsup.gif

AS you say ,each to his own ,personally i would prefere to stick needles in my eyes than live in Isaanthumbsup.gif

Excellent description--that's exactly how downtown Pattaya/BKK pollution feels in my eyes! laugh.png

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 2

AS you say ,each to his own ,personally i would prefere to stick needles in my eyes than live in Isaanthumbsup.gif

Excellent description--that's exactly how downtown Pattaya/BKK pollution feels in my eyes!

laugh.png

Actually i live outside of the town ,but as to Isaan ,we went there once on a visit ,but it was closedbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Excellent description--that's exactly how downtown Pattaya/BKK pollution feels in my eyes!

laugh.png

Actually i live outside of the town ,but as to Isaan ,we went there once on a visit ,but it was closedbiggrin.png

I believe I was helping to man the check-point that day! smile.png

Yeah right........the OP is talking about South Pattaya.

Where is Isaan?

Where is Isaan?

It's in another dimension. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

I pay 350 baht per month directly to the water board, so 400 baht is not really all that excessive.

350 baht is the monthly minimum commercial rate. I have to pay the commercial rate because the townhouse I rent is owned by my Farang landlord under a company structure.

I use 2 or 3 units per month and the average water bill (paid direct to my building management) is just under 100B.

For electricity I pay the standard 4+B to the PEA by direct debit. The bill comes in my name even though the meter is in another name. Both are individual farang names.

As for landlords who expect to make a profit out of water or electricity supply, they can whistle for it. There will be snow on Jomtien beach before I would accept that sort of nonsense.

Water 15 baht per unit as its posh water with added chlorine(approx 150 per month). 3.5 baht for electricity per unit.

Don't take sh*t off greedy apartment owners.

What's "posh" water? From the klong?

No the added chlorine.

Some of the best water Ive had in Thailand here in Phetchabun.

Yes please stay in lovely Pattaya, I would rather stick needles up a certain orifice than live there.

You obviously have not seen where l live in Isaan. coffee1.gif ............................smile.png

No farang sex pests, no farang drunks (except me), no ruskies, just left alone with nooooo hassle. thumbsup.gif

I did not realize that they had electricity in Isaan,next you will be saying that they have television smile.png

• Like 1

I use 2 or 3 units per month and the average water bill (paid direct to my building management) is just under 100B.

This will not be the case if your appartment is owned by a foreinger under a company structure (eg. townhouses). You will pay 350 even if you go on holiday and don't use any water. After you've used 15,000 litres you'll pay 20 baht per unit.

Where is Isaan?

its where most of the bar girls are from so never need to go

Where is Isaan?

Yeah, and where all the frustrated married men live, dreaming of Pattaya and better days.biggrin.png

• Like 1

Where is Isaan?

Yeah, and where all the frustrated married men live, dreaming of Pattaya and better days.biggrin.png

ooohhh! Harsh! tongue.png

AS you say ,each to his own ,personally i would prefere to stick needles in my eyes than live in Isaan:thumbsup:
You obviously have not seen where l live in Isaan. coffee1.gif ............................smile.png

No farang sex pests, no farang drunks (except me), no ruskies, just left alone with nooooo hassle. thumbsup.gif

So now we got a couple of Isaan "gun slingers" here in Pattaya forum, I wonder why? Are you bored chaps?

I have yet to make a single post in Isaan forum.

• Like 1

AS you say ,each to his own ,personally i would prefere to stick needles in my eyes than live in Isaan:thumbsup:

It's your fault if you haven't found Nirvana.. rolleyes.gif

Ha-ha, my dear wife actually own a house and some rice fields some 60km from Sisaket so I been there 3-4 times and I always ran screaming away after max 5 days.

Sorry off topic

Ha-ha, my dear wife actually own a house and some rice fields some 60km from Sisaket so I been there 3-4 times and I always ran screaming away after max 5 days.

Ah, YOU were that guy I saw running down the Mitraphap Hiway, all wild-eyed and disheveled. I was running the opposite direction from Pattaya, same demeanour. laugh.png

• Like 2

This will not be the case if your appartment is owned by a foreinger under a company structure (eg. townhouses). You will pay 350 even if you go on holiday and don't use any water. After you've used 15,000 litres you'll pay 20 baht per unit.

In my building the entire water bill is paid by the building. The building management issue regular monthly bills entirely according to usage and the price per unit of water is the same, regardless of the tenure of the condo. There is no standing charge. Anyone who is away for the entire month gets no bill (unless they left a tap on).

In my building the entire water bill is paid by the building. The building management issue regular monthly bills entirely according to usage and the price per unit of water is the same, regardless of the tenure of the condo. There is no standing charge. Anyone who is away for the entire month gets no bill (unless they left a tap on).

I live in a townhouse. It's charged at the commercial rate. You're not being charged directly by the water board, which is great.

I did not realize that they had electricity in Isaan,next you will be saying that they have television smile.png

You not realize l have a zillion MB Internet in Isaan. Get out more. laugh.png .

• Like 1

Water 15 baht per unit as its posh water with added chlorine(approx 150 per month). 3.5 baht for electricity per unit.

No the added chlorine.

UPDATE - Not that any of you chaps and chapessess are bothered my water is a 100 baht per month not the 150 previously stated.

The water company wont put the meters in for the 5 townhouses where I live.

Woohoo.

50 baht extra in pocket, thats a big Chang and 5 baht left over

:lol:

No the added chlorine.

UPDATE - Not that any of you chaps and chapessess are bothered my water is a 100 baht per month not the 150 previously stated.

The water company wont put the meters in for the 5 townhouses where I live.

Woohoo.

50 baht extra in pocket, thats a big Chang and 5 baht left over

laugh.png

To be honest, I wouldn't care if the water was free or 400 baht per month - that's not a deal breaker...however 10 baht per unit for electricity - that would be a problem for me as I'm a heavy user.

At the end of the day you need to consider your usage and the actual baht value of the surcharge, consider how much you like the apartment, then make a decision. Some guys only need a few fans, and they're happy. For them 4 baht or 10 baht is not a big difference.

Making decisions on principle is waste of time here. It won't change a thing. Landlords will continue to do this here.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1